Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Fiesta = Ecosport
Focus = Escape
Fusion = Edge
Taurus = Explorer

The Fusion is on a heavier, larger platform than the Escape so even though they offer the same engine in both that is not quite an apples-to-apples comparison.
In regards to similarities of fuel mileage, the same powertrain in these products still tend to be very close. The Fusion with the 2.0L turbo is rated 21/31 (25 combined) where as that same powertrain in the Escape and Edge is rated 21/29 (24 combined). $50 difference over the course of a year based on EPA's projections ($1650 in cost for the Fusion, $1700 for the Edge and Escape).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
I don't understand the love for crossovers, it baffles me why they're so popular. I don't get why Americans are more attracted to a car if it's on stilts.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yep. Try hauling kids and more than two adults in a sedan. It might be OK if the kids are old enough to where you don't need to bring diapers, change of clothes, and a stroller with you. But, when you have small kids, you have to have all that stuff + child seats. Even one child seat can take up a lot of room. Sedans aren't as practical as they used to be. They're fine for four adults who want to ride in comfort and room, but once you add child seats into the equation, it takes away that comfort.

Back when I was growing up, the mother held the baby in her arms in the front seat (not saying this was a great thing, just telling you how it was), and if you had three kids riding in the back seat, the third, smallest child, sat in the middle, which was usually a heavily padded arm rest. I road like that for years growing up.

Obviously times change, laws change, and with that, comes the need for larger vehicles, which is why CUVs, SUVS, and full size crew cab trucks are so popular. And fuel efficiency has really improved enough to make it affordable to use these vehicles as daily drivers.

Only downfall is the cost. You darn near have to take out a mortgage for a brand new SUV or full size truck. So, I would hope that Ford and Chevy realize this and figure out a way to make these vehicles more affordable for the common man.
Don't worry, they realize it and they won't change a thing that cuts into profits.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ford Motor Company has been in business for over a 100 years they know the automotive business do you think they make these decisions off the top of their head. They know the automotive business they started it in this country. The Chicago assembly plant builds the Taurus and the Explorer now they will build the Explorer only until they put something else in there. The Flat Rock assembly plant builds the fusion it’s a newer plant I’m sure it’s going to start making possible the new Focus crossover. Gm is getting ready to stop making sedans also their is more profit in a SUV, and Pickups. We are not automotive experts here Ford pays the big bucks to people to study the automotive trends and sedans are not what they use to be so they will stop building low profit sedans. Chrysler dropped the 200, and Dart.
I think I read that Ford will actually build the Focus Active in China and import it in. I bet the Fusion plant will build a Fusion sized (Edge) crossover.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I get crossovers. They are the same reason people liked station wagons a couple generations ago.

We have a sedan and a crossover. (Well, a Subaru Outback, which is really a wagon, and a Dodge Charger). Both get about the same fuel mileage in the 22 mpg range for our use. Both are similarly quick (6 cylinders). That said, the Outback ends up used for far more because of it's cargo area is far easier to use, and far more accommodating of large volumes of things, large sized things, and oddball shaped things. It can also tow (which we do use it for on occasion).

I know it is anecdotal. I do not dislike sedans and cars, but from an overall "usefulness" the 2 box vehicle has some advantages over the 3 box vehicle, and unlike 10-20 years ago, there are plenty of options now that do not have the negatives of the past (horrible ride, or interior packaging, or terrible fuel mileage, etc)

Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I get crossovers. They are the same reason people liked station wagons a couple generations ago.
Exactly. I just view them as modern day station wagons. The appeal is feeling safer being higher up, which I do get. So many SUVs and large trucks on the road today, that it's often very difficult to see around those suckers on the road. At least some of the CUVs gives you a chance to view the road a little better.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:23 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

We have a sedan and a crossover. (Well, a Subaru Outback, which is really a wagon, and a Dodge Charger). Both get about the same fuel mileage in the 22 mpg range for our use. Both are similarly quick (6 cylinders). That said, the Outback ends up used for far more because of it's cargo area is far easier to use, and far more accommodating of large volumes of things, large sized things, and oddball shaped things. It can also tow (which we do use it for on occasion).

I know it is anecdotal. I do not dislike sedans and cars, but from an overall "usefulness" the 2 box vehicle has some advantages over the 3 box vehicle, and unlike 10-20 years ago, there are plenty of options now that do not have the negatives of the past (horrible ride, or interior packaging, or terrible fuel mileage, etc)
Subaru Outbacks are very good vehicles. I know because I had a 2013 model until I traded it for a 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack. The Alltrack is a slightly lifted Golf Sportwagen with 4Motion AWD. Obviously, The Sportwagen is a station wagon.

The Subaru Outback is not a wagon and has not been since maybe the 3rd generation.

True, it resembles a wagon and the comparison stops there.

It does not ride or handle like a car-based wagon because it's has evolved into what it is now - a crossover.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Instead of abandoning the sedan market, the Big 3 should study their Asian and European competitors, learn why they are successful and adopt their practices.
You don't think they've done that? My goodness, people.....you have no idea what you're talking about. Obviously you never worked for an automotive company otherwise you wouldn't say things like this.

While the Japanese brands, for instance, do make a little more money on cars than the domestics do, it's not like they make a ton of money for them, either, in this country. That being said, some of the reasons domestic OEM's have a less profitable car (or money-loser) is:

- UAW
- Older, less efficient plants
- Less efficient suppliers, many of whom also have higher costs due to UAW labor. This is the biggest problem and....
- Inability to source competitive suppliers elsewhere due to Keiretsu and/or other barriers
- Higher piece costs due to global scale not being as big as the Asian companies since Japan, Korea and China all restrict sales of American companies
- Higher tax structure than the Asian companies
- Higher pension costs
- Higher healthcare costs

That's just the basics in a nutshell...

Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I don't understand the love for crossovers, it baffles me why they're so popular. I don't get why Americans are more attracted to a car if it's on stilts.

I don't get it either. So damn boring to drive too. We have a CUV/SUV/whatever in our driveway and I don't even like driving it. Great for hauling the kids around, or running to Home Depot, but suck in terms of driving experience.

I plan on keeping to my 4-door sedans. Maybe an Infiniti Q50 next

Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
The Escape is not a good looking crossover and a Fusion looks much better. No Fusion will pretty much give the Malibu, Accord, Altima, Sonata, and Camry a real salesboost, as alot of people out there dont like crossovers. Sedan will handle better than a crossover anyday and unless you are hauling a very big ite, there is no need for a Crossover,as a Sedan gets the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive