Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,936,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What is it with you folks who think the only alternative to a mid-size sedan is "huge SUVs?" Are you honestly that oblivious to all the car-based unibody CUVs on the market these days? Those are what people are buying instead of sedans, not Suburbans and Land Cruisers.
Exactly.....this explains it a little more:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...acks/34286011/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 12:14 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
What will happen to Ford and FCA when gas climbs to above $4/ gallon? Will $50K pickups continue to sell in the quantities they are selling now?
The very short answer is **** NO.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:44 PM

20,881 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What is it with you folks who think the only alternative to a mid-size sedan is "huge SUVs?" Are you honestly that oblivious to all the car-based unibody CUVs on the market these days? Those are what people are buying instead of sedans, not Suburbans and Land Cruisers.
For myself and a lot of other people, it's not the size, it's the configuration. I just don't want an SUV, even one as small as my Focus. I don't want to sit high up in a vehicle, not even just a little high up. A small sedan is perfect - low to the ground, highly maneuverable, you get good feedback from the road, etc. Add a manual transmission and you've got Driver's Heaven. It's like having a little sports car.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:06 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,960,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
For myself and a lot of other people, it's not the size, it's the configuration. I just don't want an SUV, even one as small as my Focus. I don't want to sit high up in a vehicle, not even just a little high up. A small sedan is perfect - low to the ground, highly maneuverable, you get good feedback from the road, etc. Add a manual transmission and you've got Driver's Heaven. It's like having a little sports car.
What year is yours? I'm picking up a 2011 tomorrow, swapped out my 2005 Cruiser for it.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:38 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,868,730 times
Too bad about the Fusion! It's a really nice car.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,298,392 times
Didn't high gas prices drive Detroit into bankruptcy a few years ago because they didn't have the cars they needed to sell? Looks like Ford wants a second chance to get bailed out since they didn't take advantage in the first round.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,602,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Didn't high gas prices drive Detroit into bankruptcy a few years ago because they didn't have the cars they needed to sell? Looks like Ford wants a second chance to get bailed out since they didn't take advantage in the first round.
They did not have fuel-efficient crossovers then. Most SUVs had V6 engines. Now they sip gas. Big difference.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Ford says there's big demand for trucks -- yet no one makes a small pickup. Even the new Ranger got upsized from a small truck to midsize. Everything is midsize or larger. Those are driveway boats and won't fit in the average suburban garage.

There have been conceptual compact trucks that GM and Hyundai have floated but are king cabs with tiny short beds. What good is it if you can't haul stuff?

A small, no frills basic compact truck with a 6-foot bed is an unmet niche market. I think they would be fairly popular as light work trucks, 2nd vehicles for handy homeowners, and as fleet vehicles for landscapers, small business gophers, parts runners, deliveries, etc.
If I can find a square body 4.3 S-10 ext cab in really nice shape..............There most certainly is a market for small trucks (todays small trucks are not small trucks) but for some reason, no one wants to fill it.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
100% agreed. I picked up a Subaru Baja recently because it's the closest thing available to what your describe that meets all of my needs. While plenty of older Rangers still exist in good condition, they aren't 4 doors with a full backseat.
These have held crazy high resale value.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ford Motor Company has been in business for over a 100 years they know the automotive business do you think they make these decisions off the top of their head. They know the automotive business they started it in this country. The Chicago assembly plant builds the Taurus and the Explorer now they will build the Explorer only until they put something else in there. The Flat Rock assembly plant builds the fusion it’s a newer plant I’m sure it’s going to start making possible the new Focus crossover. Gm is getting ready to stop making sedans also their is more profit in a SUV, and Pickups. We are not automotive experts here Ford pays the big bucks to people to study the automotive trends and sedans are not what they use to be so they will stop building low profit sedans. Chrysler dropped the 200, and Dart.
Are you kidding?

The CEO / President / Board Member running the company spent his entire career running an OFFICE FURNITURE company. He knows NOTHING about what makes Ford great or even important. All that counts is increasing gross margin percentage, and he is doing it by reducing sales of slightly less profitable vehicles and eliminating billions in product development. The company can go bankrupt in five years for all he cares, he is in line to get a huge bonus for raising stock prices NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive