Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Hi. Would appreciate your thoughts. Daughter needs new headlights on older vehicle. New ones installed would be $350+. That seemed kind of high to me, so researched and found used headlights right down to the year & type - $70 for both. Before ordering, I called my trusty Firestone that I go to and (you guessed it) they don't install customer parts. No sense in arguing the whys - policy is policy. So since it's the weekend I thought I'd wait until Monday and call a few regular Joe repair shops. Before I waste my time, I thought I'd ask here. I get why repair shops have this policy for under the hood parts and such. But headlights? I mean the mechanic installs them, turns on the lights, if they don't work he calls and says 'You got bad headlights'. If they work, he just made an hour of labor (which is better than nothing if I didn't come in at all). This isn't an engine part where a world of things could go wrong and the mechanic be 'blamed'. Can someone help me understand why this would be the case? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Because there is no mark up on parts they don't sell. The mechanic can always be blamed. "These worked when I gave them to you, now they don't. You broke them"

Whats the year make and model of the car, swapping a headlight housing is usually a pretty simple job.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 782 times
2003 Honda Civic. My husband could do it in a second, but is working 2 jobs, super busy (and tired) Didn't want to add to his plate. Is it simple enough for me? I'm pretty clumsy, mechanically. Maybe there's a YouTube video.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Based upon the price you listed I’m assuming you mean headlight assembly (lense housing including all the bulbs already installed). We only buy this because of oxidation build up (hazy lense reducing light output). Some vehicles make this an easy DIY job. Either the owners manual or a repair manual will provide easy instructions to replace them yourself. Some vehicles are more difficult requiring removing the entire front bumper and part of the wheel well. If it goes that far, save yourself the aggravation and take it to a professional shop. We took my wife’s car to a locally owned body shop because of this. They had all the replacement clips for those clips that broke when removing.
If you haven’t already ordered your lense, shop around online, you may find cheaper prices.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPrat View Post
2003 Honda Civic. My husband could do it in a second, but is working 2 jobs, super busy (and tired) Didn't want to add to his plate. Is it simple enough for me? I'm pretty clumsy, mechanically. Maybe there's a YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4sSJ1hrl_0

Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPrat View Post
Hi. Would appreciate your thoughts. Daughter needs new headlights on older vehicle. New ones installed would be $350+. That seemed kind of high to me, so researched and found used headlights right down to the year & type - $70 for both. Before ordering, I called my trusty Firestone that I go to and (you guessed it) they don't install customer parts. No sense in arguing the whys - policy is policy. So since it's the weekend I thought I'd wait until Monday and call a few regular Joe repair shops. Before I waste my time, I thought I'd ask here. I get why repair shops have this policy for under the hood parts and such. But headlights? I mean the mechanic installs them, turns on the lights, if they don't work he calls and says 'You got bad headlights'. If they work, he just made an hour of labor (which is better than nothing if I didn't come in at all). This isn't an engine part where a world of things could go wrong and the mechanic be 'blamed'. Can someone help me understand why this would be the case? Thanks for your time.
If you have screwdrivers and a small socket set you can just diy. It’s oretty simple to do. Most owners manuals have the steps required to remove the headlights as it’s usually required to do so when changing the headlight bulbs.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you have screwdrivers and a small socket set you can just diy. It’s oretty simple to do. Most owners manuals have the steps required to remove the headlights as it’s usually required to do so when changing the headlight bulbs.
Agreed. It's not rocket science. If you don't have any tools find a friend, neighbor, co-worker who does.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:57 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Depending on what's wrong with them, this could be a really easy fix. You only need to replace them if they're physically broken.

Do neither of the lights turn on? Check the fuse, the relay, and the switch.

Does only one light work? Replace the bulb.

Do they both work, but are not bright enough? Clean and polish the lenses.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I encourage diy replacement on headlights. The challenge is securing it and aligning (beam aim).
If its the electrical wires , then take it to an expert.
I prefer rock auto and parts geek for older parts.
Youtube does have some technical videos that are easy to follow.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Depending on what's wrong with them, this could be a really easy fix. You only need to replace them if they're physically broken.

Do neither of the lights turn on? Check the fuse, the relay, and the switch.

Does only one light work? Replace the bulb.

Do they both work, but are not bright enough? Clean and polish the lenses.
^^^This. If they are just cloudy. Get the lens cleaned. Cheaper and easier than replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive