Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
German automakers' prestige is earned. It's rooted in historical innovations to the industry, enduring passion and depth in engineering, and solid overall build quality. They build cars worth being passionate about rather than mere commodities, cars that are a pleasure to drive and rightfully instill a sense of pride in ownership. It's something many folks won't understand until they experience it for themselves. Reliability ratings? They are shallow and steer the sheep. I read somewhere that Mercedes owners keep their cars longer than those of any other make. I wish I could find that list that shows how many years a brand of cars typical owner keeps them (anybody know where to find that information?). Today, German automakers are the few that still do engineering, build transmissions, etc. in house. For instance, it seems most car companies nowadays source many parts from third-party suppliers, such as many sourcing transmissions from Aisin. Oh and yes, Mercedes builds non-luxury marketed cars in most of the rest of the world, whereas in the US they market luxury cars. And that vinyl? It's MB-tex, quite a successful innovation. It's soft, comfortable, and extremely durable. Most people think it's leather. And actually, most MB's even in the US have it.
Since the OP is asking about PRESTIGE specifically. I just thought of something else and am not sure it's been mentioned:

German (and European) cars prestige as it is in America is likely rooted just as much as the above as in the fact that early on before globalization, the rise of the nuevo-middle class/upward mobility (particularly in the 1980s, yuppie era), and before the internet, far fewer folks were able to experience foreign cars and it was through travel to Europe that many were exposed, which is prestigious (probably even more so back then) in and of itself. While I don't know much about it, I've heard customers used to be able to travel to Europe and basically watch their cars be built. While the working-class masses weren't able to go to Europe and were vehemently against foreign cars (strong union culture), those who were "above" that might have taken a great deal of pleasure in being able to even *know* anything about foreign cars, let alone get to drive what was back then much more of an exotic product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
Do Germans have a better car than the GTR?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
I think German cars are built far better than any Japanese car. Japanese cars may have the outstanding reliability factor but the driving experience in a German car is much better in my opinion, much more solid. I have owned several VWs and have never had any problems at all. I currently own a 2012 passat TDI and is an amazing car. If this ever dies I would probably switch to an AUdi A4 for the AWD factor.

I have never had any major problems with any of my German cars, but with that said, just because a car is reliable doesnt mean it is a car I would enjoy driving or would even consider purchasing. Id rather put a little more money into the upkeep of a vehicle for a more enjoyable ride.

I dont think its a prestige thing either. German cars tend to be more solid, I like the interiors better as well as the body styling.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Everything the Germans make is better. If you don't believe me ask any of your German friends.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think German cars are built far better than any Japanese car. Japanese cars may have the outstanding reliability factor but the driving experience in a German car is much better in my opinion, much more solid. I have owned several VWs and have never had any problems at all. I currently own a 2012 passat TDI and is an amazing car. If this ever dies I would probably switch to an AUdi A4 for the AWD factor.

I have never had any major problems with any of my German cars, but with that said, just because a car is reliable doesnt mean it is a car I would enjoy driving or would even consider purchasing. Id rather put a little more money into the upkeep of a vehicle for a more enjoyable ride.

I dont think its a prestige thing either. German cars tend to be more solid, I like the interiors better as well as the body styling.
Reliability is a huge factor in a long term asset purchase that cost tens of thousands of dollars. Your ancedotal evidence is irrelevant in the face of mountains of data that VW, BMW, Audi are nowhere near as reliable as the Japanese counterparts. They cost a lot more in maintenance over the life of the vehicle. They do drive better so I suggest leasing them and get out before the warranty runs out. Prestige is great if you care about what others think, but you will pay for it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Your ancedotal evidence is irrelevant in the face of mountains of data that VW, BMW, Audi are nowhere near as reliable as the Japanese counterparts. They cost a lot more in maintenance over the life of the vehicle.
Your "mountains of data" is irrelevant in the face of my anecdotal evidence... my german car (VW) is just as reliable and has needed LESS maintenance than my japanese truck (Toyota). The German has been cheaper in every single aspect of ownership from the get-go.

I don't really care what Other people think, only what I experience. That's because other people tend to not take care of their stuff as well as I do, they don't do preventative maintenance that stems off problems like I do, and they get all whiny over issues that are a direct result of what THEY have done (or not done, in most cases). I have owned LOTS of "known to have lots of issues" items in my life where my experience is exactly the opposite of the problems issued by the vocal minority. It's not because I'm some charmed person where everything I touch turns to gold, and it's not because I have unlimited funds or tolerance. I just take care of the stuff I own, follow directions, and seek out new info to take the best care of what I own. I do that because I have very meager funds and must keep my stuff operational for longer than it seems most people do (car is 12 years old, truck is 16 years old ~ I'll realistically be able to replace the car in another 8~10 years but probably have the truck for the rest of my life).

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Thread from 2008... Well, to answer the question four years later, why do German cars have such prestige? It's because when they are working properly, they work very, VERY well, to the point where most other cars are shabby in comparison.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM

691 posts, read 771,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Americans seem to equate German cars with prestige?
But why? Mercedes has a terrible reliablity record by any standard, BMW still not on par with Honda or Toyota when it comes to reliablity. Audi still lags and VW pure garbage.
When I was in Europe I saw so many Mercedes used as taxis. LOL!

Reliability has zero to do with "prestige". My wife and I only drive BMW's because of the way they handle and how we are treated at the service dept when I come in for maintenance.

German cars are stolen less often than Japanese and American junk that are sold by the millions. Thieves target vehicles that can be stripped for parts to supply the repair shops.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
German cars are stolen less often than Japanese and American junk that are sold by the millions. Thieves target vehicles that can be stripped for parts to supply the repair shops.
Do me a favor then, tell this to the a-holes who stole my Jetta. Maybe they'll give me my damn car back -- that is, if it isn't in pieces installed on dozens of other cars by now.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Your "mountains of data" is irrelevant in the face of my anecdotal evidence... my german car (VW) is just as reliable and has needed LESS maintenance than my japanese truck (Toyota). The German has been cheaper in every single aspect of ownership from the get-go.

I don't really care what Other people think, only what I experience. That's because other people tend to not take care of their stuff as well as I do, they don't do preventative maintenance that stems off problems like I do, and they get all whiny over issues that are a direct result of what THEY have done (or not done, in most cases). I have owned LOTS of "known to have lots of issues" items in my life where my experience is exactly the opposite of the problems issued by the vocal minority. It's not because I'm some charmed person where everything I touch turns to gold, and it's not because I have unlimited funds or tolerance. I just take care of the stuff I own, follow directions, and seek out new info to take the best care of what I own. I do that because I have very meager funds and must keep my stuff operational for longer than it seems most people do (car is 12 years old, truck is 16 years old ~ I'll realistically be able to replace the car in another 8~10 years but probably have the truck for the rest of my life).
Good for you. I take care of my assets too. But to ignore statistical evidence is ignorance.

Plus, we are talking about generalities here and statistical data applies, since not everyone is like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive