Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:07 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
AAA, or any other road service doesn't mean much if you don't have a spare of some type.
I have road side service for some time via Chrysler on the new Pacifica, but all they will do is tow you in for a limited number of miles I am sure.

Over the years I have found that finding the source of the leak and removing it if it's still there and using that patch kit I carry or fix-a-flat works fine.
I have also had to replace tire valves from time to time.

I really hate being stranded and in the desert where we live it's a long ways from town to town.

In the 35 years I've been driving, not once have I gotten a disabling flat.

It's always nails, causing slow leaks. Generally I wake-up to a flat in my driveway, and the nail head is visible. Then I pump it up, and drive to the shop; leaving nail in.
Auto shops also sell plug kits, a better alternative to the mess fix a flat creates for the tire shop.
They work great for small holes, until plugging can be done from the inside of tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
But the guy from AAA can get that nut off, and he doesn't mind doing it. With no spare he's going to have to tow you to a place that is probably closed at least 12 hours a day, and then if it's a bad blow-out and you need a new tire, you'll have to wait until a tire store opens to get the right size and brand.
Them why not carry two spares? Or a whole set?
Eventually you gotta weigh what’s actually necessary. Yes if you have a blow out it’s gonna be a bad day. So would having an accident of any kind. If blowouts are common for you, then you have the choice to buy one, but it’s not required. For my Pacifica, not having a spare, means I get a vacuum cleaner. I use the vacuum cleaner more often than the spare.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM

628 posts, read 840,291 times
I just put a full size tire and rim inside my car mine you i drive a pickup and a suv so it may not work in a sedan or a coupe through both of them do have spare tires through

Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Most people will not have a flat in the lifetime of their car if they replace tires at the right time. So why carry the weight? Why pay for an additional tire and wheel? For those that do pick up a nail or other debris, a typical AAA response or tow truck driver will simply patch and refill the tire.
AAA doesn't patch tires; they'll put the spare on, or tow the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
The odds of having almost any other type of mechanical failure are not much worse than having a tire blow out, but people don't usually drive around with spare transmissions or alternators or water pumps or other spare parts and tools with them "just in case", do they?
Talk about ridiculous.

I've had quite a few flats in my lifetime, and most of those tires wouldn't have been able to be patched. Several times I've had flats on busy highways. Compare that to the time a transmission has conked out (none), time the alternator has failed (once, fortunately in my driveway), time the water pump has failed (none).

All the maintenance in the world can't predict when you're going to drive over a nail or screw; careful maintenance can help prevent mechanical failure.

So much for your "logic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
In the 35 years I've been driving, not once have I gotten a disabling flat. .
I wish I'd had the same luck. But I haven't. So I carry a spare tire.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:52 PM

I’m glad they finally got over the spare tire requirements. Especially for sports cars, you can now design a car without worrying where to stick the spare. A Corvette’s design would be all messed up if it required a spare. There’s no place to put it unless the trunk space was cut in half.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:07 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Actually, that depends. AAA contracts with different towing places. Some of them will do it. Happened to us recently... 4 brand new tires. Ran over the hook of a bungee cord. It got buried deep in the tread, and the tire went flat. AAA sent out a local contractor, who offered to patch the tire right there on the side of the road. He did a good job at a reasonable price. No spare and no temporary spare. I did keep one off the four original tires. Now I'm hunting for a wheel to mount the tire on so we will have a spare.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:17 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not in my state.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I bought a new Kia Soul 6 years ago. There was no spare. I didn't keep the car long, and bought a Nissan. It came with a spare tire. So I'm wondering will the spare be a thing of the past soon. If so when I buy another car, the dealer will have to sell me the spare and accessories. I won't drive a car without a spare tire. Personally I don't feel it should be allowed to sell a car without a spare.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I bought a new Kia Soul 6 years ago. There was no spare. I didn't keep the car long, and bought a Nissan. It came with a spare tire. So I'm wondering will the spare be a thing of the past soon. If so when I buy another car, the dealer will have to sell me the spare and accessories. I won't drive a car without a spare tire. Personally I don't feel it should be allowed to sell a car without a spare.
What do you care if anybody else has to have one? If you want one, buy one.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:07 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
[quote=Ziggy100;52159225]What do you care if anybody else has to have one? If you want one, buy one.[/QU

I guess because I care about people. Most people that is, though there can be exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive