Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Money well spent. A car without a spare tire is ridiculous. We are supposed to be going forward, not backward.
Why carry the extra weight all the time? Makes no sense for me to carry a spare when all I do is in city driving. On a road trip sure, then load up a spare and cross your fingers.

In my 35 years of driving I have needed a spare tire twice. Once when I was 16 and the other in my mid 20's on a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Believe it or not there are people that either don't know how to change a tire or are simply unable to change a tire. So it doesn't matter if there is a spare or not.

Nowadays there are such car owners who cant even maintain Tire pressure or check the fluids, Transmission Oil level. They cant even figure out which way to go without GPS. Only thing they care is their Car Payment.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Nowadays there are such car owners who cant even maintain Tire pressure or check the fluids, Transmission Oil level. They cant even figure out which way to go without GPS. Only thing they care is their Car Payment.
There have always been people like that. My grandmother has never done any of that and she’s 100 years old now.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Money well spent. A car without a spare tire is ridiculous. We are supposed to be going forward, not backward.
We are moving forward. Before I had to pay for a spare tire because people like you were perpetually paranoid of getting a flat. Now I have the option and I can use that extra $500 towards something useful like an upgraded audio system.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Believe it or not there are people that either don't know how to change a tire or are simply unable to change a tire. So it doesn't matter if there is a spare or not.
I haven't changed a roadside flat in years.....like 20+ but I sure like the idea that I have a spare if I need it!

I have 2- 2016 cars, one with a spare, one without. The SUV with the spare is more comfortable for trips and has a spare so that is the car we take. The lack of a spare would really be inconvenient if I get a flat. Add hassle of high performance tires and I really think a flat could cause a 1-2 day delay since most tire stores won't have the tire in stock. An acquaintance has the same car and a flat resulted in a 2 hour tow (to the nearest dealer) and 4 days later he got the car back.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I can easily see it in a car like the Miata where its tiny and weight is at a premium.

But a Pacifica? No way, Jose! Does it come standard with run-flats? Their website doesn't seem to indicate it. I'd be a bit Hot and try and work something over with the dealer. I've never seen them as a line item before like floor mats.

It seems I deal with a flat tire every two years or so. My current work situation being what it is, I don't have to change it myself. But I'm impatient and sitting around waiting for a truck to get out would frustrate me to no end. I'd sooner change it and be on my merry way.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:38 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Tires are so reliable today that you will not have a flat if the tire is properly maintained - air pressure and replaced when warn. Always people trying to fight the previous war.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Tires are so reliable today that you will not have a flat if the tire is properly maintained - air pressure and replaced when warn. Always people trying to fight the previous war.
Tires may be more reliable today, but they are not immune from going flat due to nails and other road debris. Even if you maintain the correct pressure.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Nails usually just result in a slow leak that you're fine to drive on for awhile and just occasionally top up with a compressor. Spare would be needed for some more catastrophic sidewall damage.

Most common thing I've used a spare for over my years of driving was for tire rotations back when I was doing that with the factory scissor jack only getting one corner up at a time.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Spoken like someone who has never driven on improperly maintained highways full of sharp jagged potholes that eat relatively low profile tires for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive