Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 10:38 AM

196 posts, read 388,588 times

Advertisements

First of all I don't have this problem... just something I am wondering about.

So a mechanic does some work on your $50,000.00 car. You owe him $150.00. He holds your car hostage until you pay. does he really have the right to hold $50,00.00 worth of your assets to secure $150.00 in payment due - or is this just an implied "right" because most people don't challenge it? Supposedly they can put a lien against your car for their money - but why is there the right to put a lien against something if they have the right to keep it until you pay? What is their real legal right here? It can't be both "I can keep your car until you pay" and "I can put a lien against your car until you pay"... can it? Sounds a little over kill, and also the penalty is way out of proportion to the amount owed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I have never heard of $150 mechanic charge?! What did they do, replace the windshield wipers.

I would guess that the bill is not being disputed, so just pay it.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Sounds fine to me. You brought the car and the intent was for them to do X work for Y remuneration. Until both sides of the contract are fulfilled, they keep the car. If the mechanic performed a whole bunch of work that wasn't agreed upon, that would be different. Says I've brought a car in for a bigger repair and they don't know how much it will cost until looking at the car. In that case, I'm bringing the car in for diagnosis and they call and let me know what they find out. At that point I can just go in and pay for the diagnosis and take the car or authorize the repair. If you took the car in for an oil change and they found that the head gasket was leaking and just went ahead and repaired it without telling you that would be different.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:40 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
First of all I don't have this problem... just something I am wondering about.

So a mechanic does some work on your $50,000.00 car. You owe him $150.00. He holds your car hostage until you pay. does he really have the right to hold $50,00.00 worth of your assets to secure $150.00 in payment due.
YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
- or is this just an implied "right" because most people don't challenge it? Supposedly they can put a lien against your car for their money - but why is there the right to put a lien against something if they have the right to keep it until you pay? What is their real legal right here? It can't be both "I can keep your car until you pay" and "I can put a lien against your car until you pay"... can it? Sounds a little over kill, and also the penalty is way out of proportion to the amount owed.

When you tell your mechanic to fix something, you enter into a legally binding contract. Most mechanics usually charge storage fees and give a set amount of days before they begin the lien process. The lien is the legal process needed to take possession of the vehicle to recoup there losses. Most mechanics lose money for storing a vehicle, its room they don't have to work on a different vehicle. So, yes, they can keep it until you pay, and if you don't pay within a set number of days, they put a lien on it so that if you then don't pay (I believe is most everywhere 30 days), then they get your car.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's not unlike a lean on your house if you don't pay the roofer, but the roofer doesn't have possession of your house. The mechanic does have your car, and can lock it up until paid.
The only chance of getting out of it would be if he didn't abide by the laws in your state, such as written estimate, phone confirmation to go over the estimate etc. even then the original agreement amount would have to be paid while disputing the balance.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I'm with you, OP. I don't think it fair that the mechanic can hold a $50,000 vehicle for a bill worth 1/10th of that.

Mechanics should have to do what the rest of us do when a customer doesn't pay the bill---take them to court.

Don't even get me started on tow truck drivers.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm with you, OP. I don't think it fair that the mechanic can hold a $50,000 vehicle for a bill worth 1/10th of that.

Mechanics should have to do what the rest of us do when a customer doesn't pay the bill---take them to court.

Ok so that means anyone can take their car in to a mechanic and say fix this. Then not pay. Take me to court. I don't see that happening. Getting rid of a car is way too easy.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:58 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

That's not what the rest of the world does. Go drop of a $2,000 suit for dry cleaning and try and pick it up without paying. There's not a whole lot of things we bring in to a place to have a service done. Where it gets a bit more questionable for me is say, veterinarians. In some states a vet can hold your animal until you pay your vet bill and ultimately adopted it out if you choose to abandon it by not paying your vet bill. California is not one of those states. I'm a little more sympathetic of that than a dead beat who won't pay a mechanic's bill.

Tow truck drivers, especially if they're highway patrol/police contracted almost have a license to steal. On the other hand predatory towing laws in many states also aren't without their own problems. Say you own a store where habitually non-customers make a habit of parking in your lot. There's nothing you can do to stop it legally. Even if the car is already hooked up or booted when the trespasser comes back on your property, legally there's nothing you can do except unhook/unboot the car and allow them to drive away. Growing up in a family that owned a small business, that was always a problem. Mostly it was habitual offenders. There was a gym next door and the same people would park in our parking lot over and over again rather than find street parking a few blocks away. Since we couldn't boot the car ourselves and tell them tough luck, pick the car up at impound or pay $50 and we'll take the boot off there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop it. 90% of people are reasonable but you have that 10% that since they know there's nothing you can do to stop them from trespassing they almost seem to go out of their way to do it.

Same thing with anything else. Vast majority of people are going to pay their bill but for that minority that doesn't, I'm 100% fine with holding property hostage. I'm more split on a vet doing it. In most things it's not as practical. Restaurants, for example. Again, probably 90% of people who can't pay a restaurant bill (card isn't running for whatever reason or cash only or forgot wallet), then you have your deadbeat losers. Most places aren't going to try and detain and arrest them and they know it.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-26-2016 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Like tow truck companies, the auto mechanic can also charge you a storage fee while holding your car for non-payment, and that can add up fast though in some states there are laws on it, such as having to file paperwork after the 10th day.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:53 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Say you own a store where habitually non-customers make a habit of parking in your lot. There's nothing you can do to stop it legally. Even if the car is already hooked up or booted when the trespasser comes back on your property, legally there's nothing you can do except unhook/unboot the car and allow them to drive away. Growing up in a family that owned a small business, that was always a problem. Mostly it was habitual offenders. There was a gym next door and the same people would park in our parking lot over and over again rather than find street parking a few blocks away. Since we couldn't boot the car ourselves and tell them tough luck, pick the car up at impound or pay $50 and we'll take the boot off there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop it. 90% of people are reasonable but you have that 10% that since they know there's nothing you can do to stop them from trespassing they almost seem to go out of their way to do it.
I used to work at a store where we had that problem a lot. We just took to parking our own vehicles directly behind them so they couldn't move. Wasn't a thing in the world they could do about it. They just had to come back after the store closed, and we had all gone home for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive