Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times

Advertisements

FACT: CARS ROLL OVER AT TWICE THE RATE THAN SUVs, ACCORDING TO Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This information was made available to the public clear back in 2011. And no one keeps track of such knowledge than the Insurance Industry, as it helps them set insurance rates to keep their companies profitable.

SUVs now least likely vehicles to roll over - Jun. 9, 2011

But a lot of small car drivers, keep trying to spread that SUVs are so much more dangerous than autos, but they are wrong.

In our part of the county where go down to any parking lot and see that 3/4ths of all vehicles will be either SUVs or Pickups, we rarely see a SUV or Pickup that has rolled over, but not unusual to see regular cars that have rolled.

#2 Factor they pointed out in this insurance institute study, is the small cars are much more dangerous due to their small size, and more people die due to the size of the vehicle. It is much safer to be in a midsize or large SUV in case of an accident.

SUMMERY OF WHAT IS NOW KNOWN.

Small cars are roll over at twice the rate of Modern SUVs.

Modern Large SUVs are Safer than cars and have a much lower death rate compared to small cars.

Modern Large SUVs roll over rate is half that of smaller cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Eh, I see reports of pickups rolled over all the time. In fact, most of the reports of deaths around here are people rolling pickups while not wearing a seatbelt.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Article attributes that to electronic stability control(which was just more common on SUVs at the time but ubitiquos now) and more stable car based suv platforms. Not the large SUVs you refer to.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
I buy small cars because I like small cars. I don't care about SUVs. It's that simple.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,903 times
I started driving in the 1970s, no air bags, no antilock brakes, never wore a seatbelt. The death rate then was 2X todays statistics, and if you were not killed injuries were worse with virtually no safety designed into the cars back then. I survived that time, so I have no problem driving my Corolla with its anti lock brakes, many airbags, traction and skid control, and many other safety features.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:42 AM

431 posts, read 351,959 times
I don't care about statistics. They are irrelevant to me. I have a crew cab 4x4 diesel pickup but I also have a Porsche 911. I drive each one according to its capabilities. If I tried to drive my truck like I drive my Porsche I'd probably get into trouble with it!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:22 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
FACT: CARS ROLL OVER AT TWICE THE RATE THAN SUVs, ACCORDING TO Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This information was made available to the public clear back in 2011. And no one keeps track of such knowledge than the Insurance Industry, as it helps them set insurance rates to keep their companies profitable.

SUVs now least likely vehicles to roll over - Jun. 9, 2011

But a lot of small car drivers, keep trying to spread that SUVs are so much more dangerous than autos, but they are wrong.

In our part of the county where go down to any parking lot and see that 3/4ths of all vehicles will be either SUVs or Pickups, we rarely see a SUV or Pickup that has rolled over, but not unusual to see regular cars that have rolled.

#2 Factor they pointed out in this insurance institute study, is the small cars are much more dangerous due to their small size, and more people die due to the size of the vehicle. It is much safer to be in a midsize or large SUV in case of an accident.

SUMMERY OF WHAT IS NOW KNOWN.

Small cars are roll over at twice the rate of Modern SUVs.

Modern Large SUVs are Safer than cars and have a much lower death rate compared to small cars.

FACT:
The website of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety makes no such claims.

Here's the website. Not some CNN Money article, but the actual website of your source.

Driver death rates

Rollover rates vary considerably by make/model. Civic? Prius? Rollover fatality rates of 0. Suburban? rollover fatality rate of 10. The industry average is 5. On to pickups, the Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD? 20. Nissan Titan Crew Cab short bed 4WD? 30. That's higher than every vehicle type in the MINI and SMALL categories.

There certainly are small vehicles with higher than average rollover fatality rates, and there are SUVs/pickups with lower than average rollover fatality rates. That's why, if this matters to a buyer, they'd better check the data for actual models and not just assume that because a vehicle is an SUV, it is inherently safer than a small car. Or vice versa.

That's not just my claim. That's straight from your source.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
I’ve been driving since 1971 I’ve had small cars and pickups, pickups are more useful because for those who live in the snow belt states i made money in the winter by pulling stuck smaller vehicles out of a ditch or snow banks with my Ford F-150 4x4 with a snatch strap and could haul my snowblower other things, so a pickup is a very useful vehicle to have.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
Laws of physics disagree with the OP.
The higher the center the gravity, the more likely to roll over - given same speed and curve (direction change)

If one does not remember physics and still disagrees, just think on why race cars are designed to be so low to the ground: answer lowest possible center of gravity + less drag

Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Only because a greater percentage of new SUV's back in 2009 had stability control than new cars of that year.

Otherwise, as others have said, a higher CG insures that the vehicle will have a greater tendency to roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive