Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 AM

50 posts, read 37,970 times

Advertisements

Agreed, but there isn't anything overly negative discussing a potential solution...that's how you learn to ask salient questions of the so-called "professionals" which can be valuable in NOT GETTING SCREWED by some of these stupid mechanics, most of whom are in business to maximize their work load thus profitability.

I've had very competent so-called technicians mis-diagnose a variety of problems over the years, from Benzes, to Cadillacs, to Porches, to older Chevelles, to Panteras. I've seen them miss stupid silly simple stuff, like on my BMW- a loose connection on the starter that an older technician swore was 2 bad injectors....ha ha.....

I had a coolant "leak" diagnosed as a blown head gasket, which was actually an ill-fitting radiator lip on the expansion tank.....combined with a slightly loose radiator bleed-off valve that the "technician" didn't know the vehicle had in the first place.

Nope, discussion is a good thing, not a bad thing. We can learn a lot through questioning on our own. Then be armed with more information to let the "professionals" know up front we can't be "fleeced", or we are simply fools to be taken advantage of.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 AM

50 posts, read 37,970 times
Also, only "shade tree mechanics" would ever ever use some sort of bs additive to "seal" a head gasket ! don't ever buy and use any of this stuff such as "block seal" or "radiator seal"....diagnose the real problem and correct/repair it !

Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeWarren View Post
Also, only "shade tree mechanics" would ever ever use some sort of bs additive to "seal" a head gasket ! don't ever buy and use any of this stuff such as "block seal" or "radiator seal"....diagnose the real problem and correct/repair it !
That’s like putting sawdust in the oil to plug oil In order to sell a car and then the seller would run ad fast say they can with your cash. This was done in the 70’s all the time.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
OP ... any updates?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Car takes only 3 minutes to reach middle of the gauge temperature. Everyone I talks to says their cars take 6-10 minutes.

Picture of leaked fluid:
Well that’s not coolant. Looks like oil to me. Visualize where the leak is on the floor then look under the car in the corresponding area.

Check the drain plug. Most drain plugs have a replaceable crush washer that’s supposed to be replaced with every oil change. If you take your car in for oil changes I guarantee you the oil change place does not replace it and either uses the old one or simply gets rid of it and gorilla tightens the drain plug. Or your drain plug threads are stripped out and leaking oil. You’ll need a oversized drain plug installed

It isn’t water based simply because it doesn’t bead up like a water based liquid. Coolant doesn’t flatten out on plastic. It heads. So it’s not coolant. I have no idea why people keep telling you to look at the coolant.

If it was red/reddish in color it would be trans fluid.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
If your temp-gauge is in the middle, I would say that sounds normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive