Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeitsnevertoolate View Post
I've been living in NYC for the last 12 years and I haven't driven a car since I moved here but I'm getting married and moving "home" to Dallas later this year. Lot to think about and to get done with that kind of move but the thing that has me worried is driving again. My boyfriend has a car but I haven't driven it. He's offered but I just don't want to get behind the wheel.

Should I take a driving course to force myself to get driving again? See a therapist? Stay in NYC so I don't have to drive?

I know I know. First world problems.
I think taking a short driving course could be a good idea. I imagine there are some in NYC that specialize in refresher classes, since you are not alone in your situation in NYC. If you do take a course, make sure you find out if the school is using new or new-ish cars. The last thing you need is to be driving around an old car, because there's lots of new technology to learn in the new ones.

Check Yelp for driving schools that offer refresher lessons. You don't need to start from scratch.

Then after you take a few lessons, go rent a car for a day and drive around. Get the full insurance package so you don't have to worry about damage. This way you're more in control vs. driving your bf's car.

Some new things (depending on how old the last car you drove was)

pairing your cell phone with the car's audio system
using a keyless start
locking/unlocking the car with the remote
backup camera
operating the sideview mirrors with a button
Lane assist technology

Not all of these would be new -- but they were new to me after having a 1999 Tacoma for many years and then transitioning to a 2017 car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
If you don't have to, and been doing just fine without having to all this time, then why worry about it. Continue with what having been working for you for the past 10 years.
The OP is moving from NYC which has plenty of public transportation options to Dallas which I'm sure has some but not to the same extent. Not driving would leave the OP homebound much of the time.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Besides the cars having a lot more technology now, the biggest changes in a large metro area are:

1. A lot more traffic
2. You have to be a lot more alert in anticipating trouble because of people distracted while talking/texting on cell phones (despite the laws)

Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Driving is the same.

Your reflexes and skills aren’t. Just gotta ease back into it.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

using a keyless start
backup camera
Lane assist technology

Not all of these would be new -- but they were new to me after having a 1999 Tacoma for many years and then transitioning to a 2017 car.

This ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Driving is the same.

Your reflexes and skills aren’t. Just gotta ease back into it.

And this ^^^

OP, you'll be fine. Once you get the car started......new 'technology'

Take your time. Like riding a bicycle. Just takes a little practice to get sharp again.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Blinker switches are a little different. You'll figure it out. Also in a lot of cases you leave your 'key' in your pocket. Be sure to step on the brake when you hit the start button.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 32,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Do you have a drivers license?
Of course. I'm from Texas and I spent a few years in California before moving to NYC. I've driven as much as anyone and I've never had an accident or anything like that. I just fell into non-driving mode and I never thought I'd be going back.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The OP is moving from NYC which has plenty of public transportation options to Dallas which I'm sure has some but not to the same extent. Not driving would leave the OP homebound much of the time.
That's right. I'm not only going from not driving to driving. I'll be driving everywhere, a big change from walking a couple blocks to the subway. We plan on starting a family and we've already bought a house. Hopefully in a year I'll be stuck in traffic with a little one.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
I think taking a short driving course could be a good idea. I imagine there are some in NYC that specialize in refresher classes, since you are not alone in your situation in NYC. If you do take a course, make sure you find out if the school is using new or new-ish cars. The last thing you need is to be driving around an old car, because there's lots of new technology to learn in the new ones.

Check Yelp for driving schools that offer refresher lessons. You don't need to start from scratch.

Then after you take a few lessons, go rent a car for a day and drive around. Get the full insurance package so you don't have to worry about damage. This way you're more in control vs. driving your bf's car.

using a keyless start
backup camera
Lane assist technology

You've just scratched the surface. My wife's 2018 Subaru Outback has all the above plus adaptive cruise control with full stop/start, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, lane departure warning, pedestrian/obstacle detection with automatic emergency braking and backing up obstacle detection with automatic emergency braking. Almost none of this would have been available on a mass production vehicle 10 years ago.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Lol no. I had a 2004 Lexus SUV. It even had AC and power windows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive