Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Some of the greatest cars ever that no longer grace our highways are the Yugo, Gremlin, Corvair, and Pinto.
The Yugo wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. Maybe the worst part is slow acceleration, which of course can be a problem when merging with other traffic. I think they stopped making Yugos in Europe but people are still driving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
The Yugo wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. Maybe the worst part is slow acceleration, which of course can be a problem when merging with other traffic. I think they stopped making Yugos in Europe but people are still driving them.
Double-digit horsepower / torque in any passenger car is a thing of the past, and rightfully so.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:15 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You only get to start each day in an EV with a "Full Tank" if you are in a place with the equipment to fill it up. On a road trip that could be quite different (hundreds of miles) than where you want to be, and can be, with gas.

Most people aren't doing road trips on a weekly or daily basis. if you are, you're an outlier.

Again, we don't expect ANY OTHER CAR to be 100% perfect for 100% of possible scenarios (like, no one says a Miata sucks because it can't tow a 9500 lb travel trailer), but when we talk EVS, suddenly every edge case is common and GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU! Why is that?

Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Unpopular opinion:

Self-driving cars are a monumentally stupid idea. If we spent a tiny fraction of the money being wasted on this boondoggle into better driver education and training, we would all be better off and safer.
While Google, Uber, and Tesla tout safety as the driving force behind autonomous cars, the real driver is economic.
There's money to be made with this new technology.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Most people aren't doing road trips on a weekly or daily basis. if you are, you're an outlier.

Again, we don't expect ANY OTHER CAR to be 100% perfect for 100% of possible scenarios (like, no one says a Miata sucks because it can't tow a 9500 lb travel trailer), but when we talk EVS, suddenly every edge case is common and GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU! Why is that?
For 2+ car households, you're correct. For a 1 car household, the edge cases matter. You want a car that doesn't require special planning to make it to Thanksgiving at grandma's.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
I absolutely hate touchscreens and navigation screens in my car
You mean screens in general and it's personal preference. I would never go back to something without a screen. But I hate touch screens because you have to direct your finger and focus to the exact spot you need and that's dangerous (mostly because of focus). The non-direct controls down at the shifter like in Audi/BMW/Merc are much safer and easier to control the screen with. It's just 1-step away from mind-control.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:

CAPS lock MALfunction!!

Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Cars' reliability, like human health, is largely based upon the inherent build quality, analogous to our genetics. I see too many posters in auto threads talk about how they've "performed proper maintenance and never been stranded" when contributing to someone's OP about a lemon.

Let me clear this up for you:

The vast, vast majority of repeat, difficult-to-diagnose car issues surfacing relatively early in the car's lifetime are due to manufacturing defects, most often causing a host of electrical issues or a "lifetime" part failing at 25% of its designed life, which no one really wants to, or knows how to troubleshoot. This leads the shop on a wild goose chase, frivolously replacing both related and unrelated parts until the issue no longer occurs.

Following the maintenance schedule will guide the operator on fluid changes, tire rotations, and spark plug replacement, but...

No amount of oil changes will stop your oil pump from failing at 30,000 miles if the part itself is defective (1st gen Dodge Durango issue).

No amount of tire rotations will stop your ball joints - with no grease fittings, mind you - prematurely failing at 60k (another 1st gen Dodge Durango issue).

No amount of spark plug changes will prevent your coil pack from melting, setting off a chain reaction which takes down all ignition to all cylinders in a matters of seconds while you scratch your head after your engine instantly dies on the interstate. (1st gen Mopar Hemi issue)

Old 07-26-2018, 04:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,003 times
Another unpopular opinion (for some people at least):

Japanese cars, while boring, are vastly ahead in build quality and engineering when compared to American manufacturers.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:

Because what happens to me is important to me? I have one vehicle and take several road trips a year, not every day; not every week; not even every month. I have never needed to rent or borrow another vehicle because mine could not perform the task at hand. The one I have is thus 100% perfect for 100% of my possible scenarios. That's enough to make my decision quite simple - no EV for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive