Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
When I started driving in 2005, my first car was a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, for $5995. Looked and felt new.

Now, I see individuals listing 11- and 12-year-old Tahoes trying to get $20k! People are off their rockers.
I mean, you can still find a decent condition 2008 Grand Cherokee for around $6K today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I mean, you can still find a decent condition 2008 Grand Cherokee for around $6K today.
And you could find a decent 10 year old Tahoe for the same, in 2005. Now, it's not the case. I'm wondering why GM vehicles are all of a sudden retaining so much value.

I mean, they did improve their interiors a lot in 10 years, but so did everyone else.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
When I started driving in 2005, my first car was a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, for $5995. Looked and felt new.

Now, I see individuals listing 11- and 12-year-old Tahoes trying to get $20k! People are off their rockers.
Are people selling them for 20k though ? I doubt it . Did a quick search on Cargurus and saw many 2006 2007 Tahoe’s for about $9000-13000 and that was through dealers . Sometimes people put ridiculous high prices on cars but they aren’t really motivated to sell .

Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,333,229 times
Sorry if I'm off-track here but since this is a topic on used cars and I can't read all 13 pages of responses, but what annoys me are private sellers who may not necessarily own the cars, but have the title either because they bought them but never changed the title to their names because they don't want to pay the $100 or so fee, and therefore they say they're selling it for someone, their mom, dad, uncle, grandmother, etc. Whenever I sell my car and sign the title off to somebody, I inform the DMV who I sold it too, some titles have a little slip at the bottom to fill out the buyer information and mail to them to ensure the new owner transfer the title to their name, and therefore ownership, properly.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 PM

414 posts, read 359,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Sorry if I'm off-track here but since this is a topic on used cars and I can't read all 13 pages of responses, but what annoys me are private sellers who may not necessarily own the cars, but have the title either because they bought them but never changed the title to their names because they don't want to pay the $100 or so fee, and therefore they say they're selling it for someone, their mom, dad, uncle, grandmother, etc. Whenever I sell my car and sign the title off to somebody, I inform the DMV who I sold it too, some titles have a little slip at the bottom to fill out the buyer information and mail to them to ensure the new owner transfer the title to their name, and therefore ownership, properly.
Curbstoners - essentially black market car dealers. Usually it’s not really their relative they’re selling the car for but that’s their story.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting story . Wow 50 is a lot. Do you have most of them at your home or in different storage places? Do you insure most of them or does it make not much sense to?

Yeah the best deals are usually from people you know personal or friend of a friend type deals with anything in general.

If you can get the 300 RX for $5000 that would be a great deal , i did a quick search locally looks like people are asking $8000+ but with 100,000 miles or more. It seems Lexus is the most reliable of the Luxury brands from what I've heard...owned by Toyota so that wouldnt't be too surprising.
They said it is OK for me to get an estimate for the body work... the claim is still open from last year.

I would need to trailer it to be legal as the tags/insurance lapsed... this is why I might be able to get it for 5k... the policy deductible is $1,000 so it may not be covered.

Often the deals come around when a seller has a problem and looking for a solution.

26 cars are insured... the insurance is actually quite reasonable as there are restrictions... such as not used for daily commute...

Most are within 10 minutes from home... some I have not seen for a couple of years... as they are deep in garage space I own through the rental properties.

At one time I was very active... not so much now... have not painted a car in 10 years...

Still holding out for my perfect forever property... came darn close in 2013... guess it will always be the one that got away... checked ALL THE BOXES...

Know a few that have turned their car hobby into a lucrative trade... but you need to have the right location and facility to present...

Sad truth is I have neither right now... had a super clean VW Rabbit to sell for $800...

Put it on Craigslist and plenty of responses but all NO SHOWS... just didn't feel comfortable venturing into East Oakland.

Same car and others sold immediately when I used my brother's Castro Valley address... perception is reality.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
Curbstoners - essentially black market car dealers. Usually it’s not really their relative they’re selling the car for but that’s their story.
Yep and not legal in California unless you are liquidating an Estate as Executor or have Power of Attorney... etc.

California Vehicle Code is explicit when it comes to vehicle sales...

The big one is Seller is required to provide valid smog...

So many that buy cheap cars have a nightmare unfolding because they will not pass smog and have no way to reach the person they gave the money too as it is not the person on title.

Each and every car I have sold was titled to me... with Smog if 1976 or newer...

Old 07-26-2018, 10:07 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It seems like you're recalling prices from 40 years ago and this is all just due to inflation.

I will say I've tried both the $6 walmart wiper and the $25 Bosch highest tier wiper, and it's totally worth paying extra to have them do a better job and last more than a couple months.

You're right, I am. But the point I'm trying to make is that from about the mid 40s to about 2005, cars were more or less affordable to buy and fix. You would put hundreds of dollars into a car for a major fix, not thousands. What's happened in the last 10 years that pushed up the prices of vehicles and everything related to them so high?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You're right, I am. But the point I'm trying to make is that from about the mid 40s to about 2005, cars were more or less affordable to buy and fix. You would put hundreds of dollars into a car for a major fix, not thousands. What's happened in the last 10 years that pushed up the prices of vehicles and everything related to them so high?
Computerization and safety regulations. You can still buy a car on the cheap but you cannot fix it on the cheap.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Computerization and safety regulations. You can still buy a car on the cheap but you cannot fix it on the cheap.

Yep, and some people started building kit cars to get around that, and now some states are going after those also, last year Texas started revoking titles for kit cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive