Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

I have some old rims that I want to recycle,the tires are old and no one wants them. How can I get the tire off the rim?I dont want to take to a tire shop and pay 5 bucks a tire,how would you take the tire off? Is there any thing that will cut throught the rubber and tread easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
You can get a set of tire irons, but it is a first rate PAIN to use a hand set to remove old tires. Plus even a half-decent set will run you more than $20.

Cutting them off isn't the hard part. Just about any heavy bladed knife will do the trick. It is the bead that you will have a HARD time with.

Personally I would cough up the $20 and have a tire shop remove them. Skinned knuckles and a bucket of sweat and a few hours of work would be with it I would think.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,464 times
You could probably hacksaw through the tire and bead with decent results-or if you have a grinder that would work.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
First, you have to remove the valve core or just pull out the entire valve stem if you're junking everything anyway and the stem is rubber... just grab with pliers and pull.

Next, you have to "Break" the bead or in other words, compress the sidewalls enough to force them off the rim and to the center.

Sometimes this is as easy as stepping on the tire... usually, it is much harder.

I've had a few that were tough and I ended up jacking up my truck, sliding the edge of the tire under a back wheel and lowering the jack so the weight of the truck would come down and force the sidewall from the rim.

It is a real workout, it can be done... but a tire shop might give you a price break because there will not be any mounting of new tires or balancing or installation of wheels.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
Ultrarunner is right...just take the tires off the rims...don't waste time trying to cut the tires off, because it is FASTER to pry them off with tire irons. Why? Because....with nearly ALL modern tires you are going to run into TEMPORED hardened steel wires under the tread, and especially in the beads.(where you won't be able to cut them with the rim in the way) It would take you seemingly forever to cut through all them...even with a hacksaw.
Just remove the valve stems and let all the air out. Any old pickup truck makes this job far easier, here's how:
Throw the tire flat on the ground under a bumper. Then take a bumper jack and place the bottem of the jack on the sidewall of the tire. Using the jack against the bumper, raise the jack so that the weight of the truck forces the tire bead off the rim. It will "pop" loose, all of a sudden like. Then turn the tire over and do the same to the other side. Then use the tire irons to pry the tire off the rim. An experienced mechanic can do this in something like 5 minutes...it's not all that hard. (I had to do this once on a 5' tall, 14" wide backhoe tire....now that was HARD!)

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 04-03-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 01:35 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,661 times
just pay 10$ to get them off and don't risk breaking a hand or a finger.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
If you can break the bead taking a tire off with irons is no big deal. Especially if you let it sit in the sun and get nice and pliable and lube it up well before you start prying.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,828 times
Another vote here for the tire shop. Don't be that cheap..... is only 20 bucks!

Seriously, yes, it can be done at home. But as others stated above, I don't personally believe is worth the trouble. You have a 90% chance that it will be a pain to do it.

good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Put the rims on your car. let the ar out of the tires and drive around. The tires will come off.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Put the rims on your car. let the ar out of the tires and drive around. The tires will come off.
but the bead will stay on....unless to drive enough to grind the rims down even with the bead

TIRESHOP!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive