Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
All whimsy aside, there is a vexingly serious problem here: how to service multiple acres of rough, hilly ground in a wet, agriculturally-oriented climate... at moderate cost... in comfort?

Proper commercial-grade landscaping equipment is shockingly expensive, and for some reason, depreciates very slowly. In my part of the world, it is not at all outlandish to spend more money on such a machine, than on one's house!

If grassland is neglected, it only takes a few seasons before the "lawn" becomes unmowable by traditional mower decks, whether towed behind a vehicle, or suspended beneath it. I don't see how to do it, short of a dozer... but even the dozer might have difficulty negotiating steep hills, and waterlogged terrain. Has anyone priced a dozer lately?

Ideal would be a Jeep-style vehicle, with a power-takeoff at the front differential... with a hydraulic system of supporting a flail-style mower, and an armored cab to protect the operator from debris ejected at high speed. Is anything available along such lines?
Amazingly enough, something exists that allows you to mow rough ground.

It's called a Ford 8N tractor with a mower.

Next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Amazingly enough, something exists that allows you to mow rough ground.

It's called a Ford 8N tractor with a mower.

Next!
Wouldn't work...

1. Gets stuck on high slopes and in waterlogged areas (rear tires just spin).

2. Turning radius too large, to maneuver around obstacles (mature trees).

3. Rear-mounted mower and open cab means that the operator careens face-first into heavy brush.

Instead, what I had in mind, was something like this: https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/s...brushhound-fh/ . The mower alone is $14K. Plus the skid-steer itself is easily $25K, used, on Craigslist. However, note that a skid steer, being a squat and vaguely cubical vehicle, resembles a Smart Car in appearance. Thus the additional whimsy of thus thread.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
All whimsy aside, there is a vexingly serious problem here: how to service multiple acres of rough, hilly ground in a wet, agriculturally-oriented climate... at moderate cost... in comfort?

Proper commercial-grade landscaping equipment is shockingly expensive, and for some reason, depreciates very slowly. In my part of the world, it is not at all outlandish to spend more money on such a machine, than on one's house!

If grassland is neglected, it only takes a few seasons before the "lawn" becomes unmowable by traditional mower decks, whether towed behind a vehicle, or suspended beneath it. I don't see how to do it, short of a dozer... but even the dozer might have difficulty negotiating steep hills, and waterlogged terrain. Has anyone priced a dozer lately?

Ideal would be a Jeep-style vehicle, with a power-takeoff at the front differential... with a hydraulic system of supporting a flail-style mower, and an armored cab to protect the operator from debris ejected at high speed. Is anything available along such lines?
Quote:
Wouldn't work...

1. Gets stuck on high slopes and in waterlogged areas (rear tires just spin).

2. Turning radius too large, to maneuver around obstacles (mature trees).

3. Rear-mounted mower and open cab means that the operator careens face-first into heavy brush.

Instead, what I had in mind, was something like this: https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/s...brushhound-fh/ . The mower alone is $14K. Plus the skid-steer itself is easily $25K, used, on Craigslist. However, note that a skid steer, being a squat and vaguely cubical vehicle, resembles a Smart Car in appearance. Thus the additional whimsy of thus thread.
How steep of a mountain are you trying to mow? A large Zero Turn mower should work unless its extremely steep. You might need upgraded tires.

And, at some point, why are you attempting to mow such an enormous steep hillside? Let it grow wildflowers, graze livestock on it, whatever.

What you linked isn't a mower, its for brush clearing.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
There is virtually nothing that can't be done, the only consideration is time and how much money you want to spend.

I wonder if you could run a PTO off the transmission of the car to a towable mower attachment?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
So someone came up with an idea of using a road legal vehicle that can drive on a freeway, to pull a cutting deck around there property and it has zero to do with automotive?!?! You do realize they could detatch the deck and drive to the store to buy beer to drink while cutting the lawn when it’s 105 and sunny, all while sitting in ac and listening to radio? Old people just hate change
Get real will you who in the hell wants to even try to do this it would cost you more money to even try than what you would spend on a AC tractor. If cars were ment to cut grass they would have them already. Let’s get real here this is a BS tread with nothing but redneck advice lets talk about real automotive subjects not stupid stuff like this. Besides they have grass cutting machines that can go to the store they are called ridding lawnmower and I’ve seen people down south take them to the store along with golf carts. Hey how about turning a snowmobile into a jet ski.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
[quote=easy62;53193555]Get real will you who in the hell wants to even try to do this it would cost you more money to even try than what you would spend on a AC tractor. If cars were ment to cut grass they would have them already. Let’s get real here this is a BS tread with nothing but redneck advice lets talk about real automotive subjects not stupid stuff like this. Besides they have grass cutting machines that can go to the store they are called ridding lawnmower and I’ve seen people down south take them to the store along with golf carts. Hey how about turning a snowmobile into a jet ski./QUOTE]

My good friends in Anchorage (who were in the original Slednecks videos (including the guy who did the first snow machine backflip) have been riding sleds on water for a very long time. Took sleds to Hawaii and rode them far into the ocean and back. This was 15+ years ago. So that's already been done. If OP has a flat lawn, this would be easy to do.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
There is this too.

https://youtu.be/dgHelSKs1hs

Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
No problem

Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Get real will you who in the hell wants to even try to do this it would cost you more money to even try than what you would spend on a AC tractor. If cars were ment to cut grass they would have them already. Let’s get real here this is a BS tread with nothing but redneck advice lets talk about real automotive subjects not stupid stuff like this. Besides they have grass cutting machines that can go to the store they are called ridding lawnmower and I’ve seen people down south take them to the store along with golf carts. Hey how about turning a snowmobile into a jet ski.

Yeah, what the OP actually wants, if he wants to cut grass while enjoying A/C, is a small tractor with an enclosed cab and A/C. With a "belly" mower.

I mean, given a big enough hammer, yeah, you could eventually kluge up a mower deck under a Smart car, or more practical tow a pull-behind rotary mower with its own motor, or a ground-driven set of reel mowers. But the Smart car won't have a low enough gear, really, and the one gear that would be usable would be first, only, while mowing. You could get a Smart with A/T and crawl along.

But the tractor is actually made to do this job, you can buy it new or used, if you get one with a front bucket you will use that for all sorts of jobs, you will wonder how you got along without it after a while.

I'm assuming the OP is actually serious in his question, which may be giving him more benefit of the doubt than really makes any sense, though.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yes. It IS a Smart Car, after all. Just introduce the car to the mower deck and tell them what you want to do.
Crap/ you actually made me laugh out loud...……..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive