Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

I've never been asked for my ID when buying auto cleaning products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
In the states that you say ask for ID or License for these products, have you ever ordered them from Amazon? and if so do they ask for it?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:37 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Should all automotive items require a license to be purchased?

Well, if you feel we don't have enough laws imposed on or lives, and we really need more, I guess what's as good a place to put them as any.

An old German government saying: "Everything that is not forbidden, is compulsory!"

An old American saying: "That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves."

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
I am a coach of several Science Olympiad events and robotics teams that my son is in. It's a middle school thing.

Recently I was teaching him some principles of basic electricity. I got him to go out and buy some switches, light bulbs, small motors, and wire.

And he bought them all at a nearby auto parts store, on his way home from his 7th grade classes.

Remind me again why a twelve-year-old needs a driver's license to buy them?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:15 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Ironically, a license is a permission to do that which is not a right.
Ever wonder how your right to travel on public roads became a regulated privilege after 1933?
Ask your public servant to explain it.

Why would anyone need a public servant to explain it? The Supreme Court has done a great job of explaining that while travel on public roads is a right, a jurisdiction may govern it's safety for the welfare of people including requiring licenses and obeying laws, as long as those are not applied arbitrarily.

One person's right to safety and good welfare trumps another's right to many other things in most cases.

I only wish that most jurisdictions took their safety role more seriously and made obtaining a driver's license at least slightly more difficult than telling time on a digital clock...

Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I can see being carded for spray paint if you look under the age of 18. The registers at Walmart, home depot and other places are set up to stop the transaction when spray paint is scanned.

One time at Walmart my wife and I were carded for buying a bottle of cough syrup. My wife didn't have her license and mine was in the car. The cashier waited until I retrieved it for her to scan.

This happens in RI and MA.

Kids are crazy these days and they will snort ingest or lick anything and stores that sell stuff that a kid could buy then possibly kill himself are trying to protect themselves.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I don't know how common or even clear this law is, but certain automotive products, including accessories like carpets or steering wheel covers, require you to have a license before making the purchase of the product...

I just don't get it though, if you're buying oil or other serious automotive fluids sure, but even detailing products and accessories?

You think I am kidding? Try getting a child to buy you a bottle of Armor All with a cashier and see if he doesn't get asked for a driver's license or ID.

Certain products, whether for automotive use or not, are restricted to younger people. Kids will sniff or ingest anything, so even spray paint is off limits to kids.

But I have never seen any auto accessories, like you mentioned off limits. That would be dumb.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I don't know how common or even clear this law is, but certain automotive products, including accessories like carpets or steering wheel covers, require you to have a license before making the purchase of the product...

I just don't get it though, if you're buying oil or other serious automotive fluids sure, but even detailing products and accessories?

You think I am kidding? Try getting a child to buy you a bottle of Armor All with a cashier and see if he doesn't get asked for a driver's license or ID.

LOL if I can buy all of those things without producing ID or a license in New York, I'm having a hard time believing other states require it.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
" Someone who has found or stolen your license will be able, potentially, to drain your bank account, open new credit card accounts, take out loans in your name and/or accrue medical and utility bills in your name."

I saw this on a site about identity protection. Just looking at your drivers to get a look at the number, to possibly use it later. There are lots of ways to get at your identity. The drivers license number is also one of them, but most people dont realize this.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
The only item, in Florida, that requires ID for being 18+ is for the purchase of cans of spray paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive