Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Who is "rarely?"

I've had two cars with them in Seattle. In Seattle, a sypder/cabrio/convertible makes little sense to me; my BMW 325ic top dissolved in about four years necessitating big expense to replace to the wet and mold, despite being under a car port and then garage. California, that top was seldom *up* in the summer. Seattle, the inverse.
Well you must be the minority, I can show proof from my dash camera that nobody around here drives with the sunroof opened. Not even with the shade down. It doesn't matter what weather conditions. I just find this equipment the most underused next to the horn around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
Default sunriifs

The Mrs. car has one because we ordered it and she loves it. Mine has one because it was already factory installed when I bought the car. We both love them and use them often. Would hate to be without them now!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I have a removable targa top (C6 corvette). And the roof is transparent.

TRUST me, when you go to a transparent and/or removable roof, you don't want to go back. It feels so nice to just let the top down and go cruising in great weather.

I don't plan on ever owning another car without a removable top.

How does a sunroof decease headroom space?
Like everything else, you can just Google the headroom question. Agree it is probably less of an issue due to the adjustability of seats.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I use mine all the time, I usually do not slide it, but just raise it.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd like to know what vehicles you guys have that a sunroof takes up headroom. Even in my daughter's Fit there's no extra room taken for the sunroof compared to one without.
Depends on the car. Some cars I guess not, others a couple of inches of headroom is taken up.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
I’d rather have a convertible. If I want fresh air, I want all of it. Otherwise it’s just like driving with a window open.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Both of my cars have sunroofs. I never use them. The idea of chopping a giant hole in the roof which results in:

1) More weight
2) Up high (raised center of gravity)
3) Additional interior heat
4) Unwanted glare from above
5) Reduced structural integrity
6) Something else to break

Is, quite frankly, the dumbest automotive option in the history of dumb options.

Yes, such a dumb option that by mid-next-decade everything except a standard cab pickup truck will have one.

Also, cars on the line for moonroofs(yes, a glass top is called that) have a different roof plate than vehicles without. So integrity is not a problem.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Yes, such a dumb option that by mid-next-decade everything except a standard cab pickup truck will have one.

Also, cars on the line for moonroofs(yes, a glass top is called that) have a different roof plate than vehicles without. So integrity is not a problem.
I have a Golf Alltrack with the panoramic roof and it flexes quite a bit going over speedbumps. The roof is the same, with one of the crossbeams removed. The sunroof frame is plastic.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I have a Golf Alltrack with the panoramic roof and it flexes quite a bit going over speedbumps. The roof is the same, with one of the crossbeams removed. The sunroof frame is plastic.

In the case of a panoramic - overkill even for me as a moonroof fan! - the remaining perimeter roof frame plus A-pillars and C/D pillars might be beefed up to compensate. Even just a millimeter or two thicker in those members can make a big strength difference in final-design-purpose events, such as rollover, without shifting center of gravity up significantly.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM

I'm just trying to find out why, in certain countries, such as the Philippines I've visited, operating roofs in cars are not popular and are seen on only 1/10 of vehicles - the opposite of the situation in the U.S. and probably Europe.

Major manufacturers won't even market them to the Philippines! It's weird seeing even BMWs of any vintage without a moonroof, when in the U.S. nearly every Bimmer on the road, from 1978 to 2018, has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive