Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

I’ve been through many hurricanes. Before an approaching hurricane one of the things we do to prepare is fill our vehicles’ gas tanks and any spare gas cans. After the storm has passed we can be without electricity for weeks at a time. During this time we’re going to work if possible, getting supplies to recover from any damage, and getting ice to help keep refrigerated foods safe to eat.

How would this work for a strictly gasoline powered vehicle? Would it hold a charge for weeks while running errands and sometimes getting stuck in traffic? Would running the AC reduce the battery charge further? After a hurricane we need to run the AC compressor because the car is so well insulated that even with the windows open the windshield can become fogged up reducing visibility. What about a hard freeze up north that causes ice to form on power lines and create massive blackouts? Would this level of cold impact the batteries? I’m not from up north so I don’t know how long they go without power during one of those cold snaps but I know it can be a few days at least. These are real situations some people need to consider when purchasing an all electric vehicle.

On the flip side, can an all electric vehicle be used as a power source in such cases? For example, can you connect a refrigerator to keep food cold? Can you connect a heater to help keep at least one room in the house warm? Can you use it to supplying power to multiple plug power strip and small electrical items? If so then it could benefit a family to have one all electric commuter vehicle and one that has a gasoline powered engine for just such an occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
On the flip side, can an all electric vehicle be used as a power source in such cases? For example, can you connect a refrigerator to keep food cold?n.
You get a propane generator. Done.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:35 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Not everyone has propane in their area in the south it’s all electric there. I lived in Florida the only propane there was for you bbq. No propane tanks sitting on someone land anywhere.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Here most use a gasoline powered generator or a built in natural gas generator. While most can’t afford the built in generator, most can afford the small portable gasoline powered generators. Problem with these after hurricanes are thieves. In a matter of seconds they can steal the generator and be off before you even see them. Because of thieves some people have tried to put the generator inside a structure (home, garage, or shed). Though they try to duct the exhaust to outside the building, enough remains in the building that it leads to death. Some put the generator close to the home so they can hear if it’s being taken. The exhaust comes in the windows and suffocates the family in their sleep.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Here most use a gasoline powered generator or a built in natural gas generator. While most can’t afford the built in generator, most can afford the small portable gasoline powered generators. Problem with these after hurricanes are thieves. In a matter of seconds they can steal the generator and be off before you even see them. Because of thieves some people have tried to put the generator inside a structure (home, garage, or shed). Though they try to duct the exhaust to outside the building, enough remains in the building that it leads to death. Some put the generator close to the home so they can hear if it’s being taken. The exhaust comes in the windows and suffocates the family in their sleep.
And as with propane in Florida natural gas also is not available, i lived in Clearwater Tampa area and only certain areas had natural gas and i mean a very small area because natural gas is expensive in Florida and you can’t run the gas lines to deep either because of the high water table.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And as with propane in Florida natural gas also is not available, i lived in Clearwater Tampa area and only certain areas had natural gas and i mean a very small area because natural gas is expensive in Florida and you can’t run the gas lines to deep either because of the high water table.
Understood. It’s also not common in our area either. Some folks spent the extra money to have a large above ground propane tank connected to the home for cooking, central heat, water heater, and gas clothes dryer. I guess it could be connected to a generator but these tanks are filled by delivery trucks. After a hurricane they aren’t going to be delivering as quickly as some would like. Once they run out of propane then there’s no hot water nor cooking.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:29 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
Quote:
I’ve been through many hurricanes. Before an approaching hurricane one of the things we do to prepare is fill our vehicles’ gas tanks and any spare gas cans. After the storm has passed we can be without electricity for weeks at a time. During this time we’re going to work if possible, getting supplies to recover from any damage, and getting ice to help keep refrigerated foods safe to eat.

How would this work for a strictly gasoline powered vehicle? Would it hold a charge for weeks while running errands and sometimes getting stuck in traffic? Would running the AC reduce the battery charge further? After a hurricane we need to run the AC compressor because the car is so well insulated that even with the windows open the windshield can become fogged up reducing visibility. What about a hard freeze up north that causes ice to form on power lines and create massive blackouts? Would this level of cold impact the batteries? I’m not from up north so I don’t know how long they go without power during one of those cold snaps but I know it can be a few days at least. These are real situations some people need to consider when purchasing an all electric vehicle.

On the flip side, can an all electric vehicle be used as a power source in such cases? For example, can you connect a refrigerator to keep food cold? Can you connect a heater to help keep at least one room in the house warm? Can you use it to supplying power to multiple plug power strip and small electrical items? If so then it could benefit a family to have one all electric commuter vehicle and one that has a gasoline powered engine for just such an occasion.
That's why you need my invention that I thought up. A trailer with a generator on it with a cord that plugs into your electric vehicle.

That way you can "convert" your electric vehicle to run on fossil fuel when needed and can have the same range as any other vehicle.

As far as I know, something like this doesn't exist yet, and I am not sure if current electric vehicles are able to be driven while plugged in, but whatever. I still think my idea would be a good solution.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:19 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
If you look on YouTube, I’ve seen some videos where they use a Tesla to power appliances in case of a blackout. The 12V battery gets recharged from the main battery pack, so I think they just connect the 12V leads to an inverter and then you can plug a cord into the inverter.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
There’s plenty of natural gas in north FL, but as mentioned, it’s only really useful for whole house generators, which few people can afford. Even with that, it’s possible trees getting uprooted could rupture the gas line.

The only choice for most people would be to plug into their regular portable generator, but it would be aggravating because all that time spent charging the car could be spent plugging in the fridge, etc..

Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
I would only have an EV as a 2nd car unless it's a Volt or ELR.
They don't have this issue because the generator is part of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive