Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM

88 posts, read 246,910 times

Advertisements

I have a 1999 Ford F-150,My problem is when I push in the clutch it goes all the way to the floor with the feeling of no pressure at all and cannot get it out of neutral into any gear! I just don't want to take it to a garage and get ripped off,I have had some friends say it appears to be the slave cylinder and much easier to fix than the clutch and would probably run $100-$150 where a clutch will run me at least $600.00. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I think you are right that it's a problem with the clutch hydraulics, *probably* the slave cylinder but not necessarily. Some Fords had a combined throwout bearing and slave cylinder, you have to pull the transmission to change it so might as well put in a clutch friction plate at the same time.

If you will change the brake fluid/clutch fluid every 2 years or oftener, you probably won't have this problem again.

Don't go trying to force it into gear.

If you have tools and a garage, changing the slave cylinder is not that hard, at least on most trucks it isn't. If it's not 4X4, really even changing the clutch isn't that hard.

You may want to post up on your local forum to get suggestions on a good shop, if you have not yet found one worthy of your trust.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 28,818 times
i have a 2006 ford f150xl, love my truck but haveing the same issues. have only about two inches of clutch from the floor. how difficult is to change slave cyl. and how expensive is it.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you are familiar with bleeding brakes, the slave cylinder is a simple, cheap DIY repair. Under $100. With labor double that for a good reasonable shop.

It does sound like it's likely your problem, though it could also be the master
or a leak in the line. Have you checked the fluid level?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtoon View Post
i have a 2006 ford f150xl, love my truck but haveing the same issues. have only about two inches of clutch from the floor. how difficult is to change slave cyl. and how expensive is it.
Check the clutch master fluid level and top off if needed, then bleed the system. If it's only a little bit low, you may be able to bleed it out just by pumping the clutch pedal repeatedly ... slowly, don't let the pedal come up too fast.

A common problem on these trucks, however, is that the bushings at the clutch pedal linkage to the clutch master cylinder or the ones on the clutch pedal cross-shaft are broken or worn out. This will cause a substantial amount of lost motion of the clutch pedal shaft rotation or inability to push the clutch master cylinder piston in.

The bushing at the pedal arm to the master is best replaced with a Ford dealer part ... IIRC, about $10. ... and pops back in in 30 seconds.

If the clutch pedal shaft isn't rotating without slop, then you'll need the "clutch pedal box" bushing kit from the dealer. IIRC, about $20 worth of bushings & shims to rebuild this. You'll need to drop the brake pedal linkages and move the brake booster off it's mounts, then drop the pedal box mounting bolts and wiggle the box out of the truck. It's a rather close fit, but it will come out. Taking it apart is relatively easy, but getting all the bushings back in with the shaft takes a bit of finesse. The box re-install isn't too bad to do ... I've done these in less than 1.5 hours in an unhurried fashion.

In my experience, the clutch pedal linkages are a much higher failure rate item than the clutch slave cylinders, especially where there's a lot of lost motion in the actuation of the master cylinder but the slave appears to be working OK once the master is actuated.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 25,803 times
I have a 1999 Ford F-150,My problem is when I push in the clutch it goes all the way to the floor with the feeling of no pressure at all and cannot get it out of neutral into any gear! My brother and I got under the truck and found fluid was leaking from the front of transmission. We agreed the clutch slave cylinder is leaking and need to be replaced. We will be taking the transmission down next Saturday.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Could be the slave, master, clutch itself, both or all 3. The best place to start is by inserting an inspection camera under the boot where the release arm comes out. If that clutch has been in there since 1999, even if not worn out it may have fallen apart from age.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 24,128 times
I have a 1999 Ford F150 v6. I just changed the clutch and slave cylinder. the problem I am having now is the pedal goes all the way down and I cannot shift into gear. is there a way to purge the line. or what is wrong

Old 04-20-2014, 06:42 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yeah, Google clutch slave cylinder bleeding procedure.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
I have a 1999 Ford F-150,My problem is when I push in the clutch it goes all the way to the floor with the feeling of no pressure at all and cannot get it out of neutral into any gear! I just don't want to take it to a garage and get ripped off,I have had some friends say it appears to be the slave cylinder and much easier to fix than the clutch and would probably run $100-$150 where a clutch will run me at least $600.00. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like the cylinder, and you can easily check it yourself. Look it up on Google. It's an easy diagnose to do yourself. If you eliminate it, then you know it's time for a pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive