Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Wasn’t the engine made by Yamaha or someone similar?
Yamaha made a v6 for ford and ford couldn't think of anything to put it in, so they tossed it in tha Taurus and a few SHOguns(Festivas inspired by a certain Renault). They had far more potential than the ford v8 that was also offered in them and was the only engine option to come equiped with a manual 5speed. Pretty fast car and the chassis was already slippery with a .28 drag coefficient. The second gen SHOs only came with a v8, probably the same 4v 4.6 as the Continental, since they're the same platform. And auto only. The Yamaha engines with a bit of work have found themselves in one or two foxbodies and an MG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:10 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
That was a great motor hampered by a lackluster, unresponsive 4spd automatic transmission. And it handled like a ship on the high seas. Good car for hunkering down on the highway though. That motor ended up in a variety of surprising applications such as the Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS, and the Olds 98 Regency LSS. Barges the lot of 'em, but quick barges that could get up and go when serious passing power was needed.
Don't forget the main car it was buitl for; Grand Prix GXP, Grand Am GXP(or was it GTP?). Might have even been in a Bonneville SSEI.

This reminds me of this security job I had and a dude had an 80s turbo 4banger Grand Am. Incedently many people think the Grand Am and Prix are the same car because they've always generally looked exactly like each other. They're actually two different cars and are on two different platforms.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The original SHOs from the 90s had a Yamaha motor.
Was this Yamaha's only car engine? How come we never hear of them?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In your opinion what are the 5 most underrated cars? Here's my list.

1. VW Touareg: I'm still not entirely sure why this car didn't sell well in the states. It was priced decently for a premium suv, had good off-road capability, a great interior and a really good V8. I guess the VW badge hurt its sales. It's a shame this car is no longer available state side.

2. Hyundai Tiburon: I know a Hyundai sports car will never be at the top of people's buy list. Especially one from the 2000's. However I always found this to be a fun inexpensive sports car. I actually thought it was one of the first good cars Hyundai made. It deserves more street cred than it gets.

3. Toyota Venza: It's a shame this vehicle got canned, it sold well in its early years. Toyota hurt it by not giving it a proper remodel. It got bashed by reviewers for some reason. I thought it fit a really good niche for people who want a comfortable vehicle with storage space, but don't want something big like the Highlander. It was also pretty close to being a traditional wagon. I liked the way this vehicle looked and wish Toyota would bring it back.

4. Suzuki Kizashi: I don't think anyone will actually remember this vehicle. It was essentially Suziki's swan song here in the states. It actually was a really solid mid-size sedan. It's a shame that Suzuki went out the moment they got something right.

5. Any Ford Mustang built from the early 90's to 2004: When people talk about their favorite Mustangs, some while bring up the newer ones built post 2005, some will bring up classics from the 60's and 70's. Hardly anyone will say the 1998 Mustang was their favorite. While I don't think these generations of Mustangs where the best, I do think the are still great in their own right. They deserve more credit than they get.

Respectfully disagree. 1993-2004 the Mustang was completely walked by the Camaro/Firebird every year. It took until 2005 for the base GT to get over 300HP. The 4.6 from 96-04 was one of the most underpowered V8's Ford ever used. I feel sorry for Mustang GT owners of those years who think their car is fast.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In your opinion what are the 5 most underrated cars? Here's my list.

1. VW Touareg: I'm still not entirely sure why this car didn't sell well in the states. It was priced decently for a premium suv, had good off-road capability, a great interior and a really good V8. I guess the VW badge hurt its sales. It's a shame this car is no longer available state side.

2. Hyundai Tiburon: I know a Hyundai sports car will never be at the top of people's buy list. Especially one from the 2000's. However I always found this to be a fun inexpensive sports car. I actually thought it was one of the first good cars Hyundai made. It deserves more street cred than it gets.

3. Toyota Venza: It's a shame this vehicle got canned, it sold well in its early years. Toyota hurt it by not giving it a proper remodel. It got bashed by reviewers for some reason. I thought it fit a really good niche for people who want a comfortable vehicle with storage space, but don't want something big like the Highlander. It was also pretty close to being a traditional wagon. I liked the way this vehicle looked and wish Toyota would bring it back.

4. Suzuki Kizashi: I don't think anyone will actually remember this vehicle. It was essentially Suziki's swan song here in the states. It actually was a really solid mid-size sedan. It's a shame that Suzuki went out the moment they got something right.

5. Any Ford Mustang built from the early 90's to 2004: When people talk about their favorite Mustangs, some while bring up the newer ones built post 2005, some will bring up classics from the 60's and 70's. Hardly anyone will say the 1998 Mustang was their favorite. While I don't think these generations of Mustangs where the best, I do think the are still great in their own right. They deserve more credit than they get.
Interesting thread, thankyou for creating it.

1) VW doesn't sell well in the US and has a horrible reputation in terms of reliability. It's gotten worse recently.
2) Nobody trusted Hyundai back then, times have changed but they still offer much longer warranties than most competitors for a reason. I personally think they're a solid buy for the money.
3) The highlander isn't that big, it's on a car frame after all and drives accordingly. Basically, they did such a great job with the highlander that it made buying the Venza a really dumb idea.
4) No idea but if you bring something horrible to food day at work a bunch of times and then show up with something decent, well then...you can't blame people.
5) Everything is relative. Mustangs got cache for being BETTER than the others in terms of design and performance. As such, being "ok" looks "bad" in comparison.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Suzuki left the US market with the words, "America doesn't need Suzuki, and Suzuki doesn't need America". They do extremely well in so many other countries with wide ranging and very innovative models, that losing the US market was not a big hit for them. You still see a couple AWD hatchback SXs on the road here that owners won't part with at all.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Suzuki left the US market with the words, "America doesn't need Suzuki, and Suzuki doesn't need America". They do extremely well in so many other countries with wide ranging and very innovative models, that losing the US market was not a big hit for them. You still see a couple AWD hatchback SXs on the road here that owners won't part with at all.
Not a big hit for them as they never established a market in the US so nothing to hit.

0 - 0 still = 0

Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Not a big hit for them as they never established a market in the US so nothing to hit.

0 - 0 still = 0
If they never established a market in the US, there would not still be Suzuki cars still on the road. Obviously they sold some so it would not be 0. Try to do some critical thinking here!

Old 11-02-2018, 09:27 AM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
w10.
No, it was a conventional V. I'm not sure how you'd even configure 10 cylinders into something resembling a W.

Quote:
Don't forget the main car it was buitl for; Grand Prix GXP, Grand Am GXP(or was it GTP?). Might have even been in a Bonneville SSEI.
I didn't forget, and it wasn't used in any Grand Am trim. The hopped-up Grand Am motor was the 24v 3.4L normally aspirated V6. But the supercharged 3800 did end up in the Grand Prix GXP and GTP and Bonneville SSEI, as well as the Impala SS and the Buick Riviera and Regal GS. But I wouldn't call any of these "surprising" applications for that motor.

Quote:
Yamaha made a v6 for ford and ford couldn't think of anything to put it in, so they tossed it in tha Taurus and a few SHOguns(Festivas inspired by a certain Renault). They had far more potential than the ford v8 that was also offered in them and was the only engine option to come equiped with a manual 5speed. Pretty fast car and the chassis was already slippery with a .28 drag coefficient. The second gen SHOs only came with a v8, probably the same 4v 4.6 as the Continental, since they're the same platform. And auto only. The Yamaha engines with a bit of work have found themselves in one or two foxbodies and an MG.
Not only did Ford NOT build, sanction, or authorize the SHOgun, but they stopped supplying SHO engines to the SHOgun builder when they discovered what they were being used for. That's why there's only 7 in existence.

The V8 was not the same unit in the Continental, it was a 3.4L V8 unique to the SHO.

Last edited by Bitey; 11-02-2018 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
The 2009 G6 GXP I has surprised many people. I didn't have all the nostril add-ons an huge grill, so it looked nice and it was very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive