Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

More interesting reading

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tric-road-trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 12:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This would be of no concern to me.
What I won't do is waste a bunch of time waiting for a car to recharge when I could fill it up with gas in 5 minutes.
If I'm driving 1000 miles, I'm probably going on vacation and this is just about the last thing I want to waste my vacation time on.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-11-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
I have photo evidence here for exactly how well EV is working out (it isn't). Specifically these are Tesla Chargers. While not Ford or GM or Crysler, this is still the same industry we're talking about. I took this photo on 03NOV2018.

You have 12 Tesla Chargers (only 10 in the photo I believe, there are two more to the left) and not one in use. Where are all the users? These chargers are located in the back of a Royal Farms gas station and convenience store in Grasonville, Maryland.

Coordinates: https://goo.gl/maps/78CcMpPRsqv

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_165939.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	204693

Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Where are all the users? These chargers are located in the back of a Royal Farms gas station and convenience store in Grasonville, Maryland.
Because no one with a Tesla in MD needs to use a Supercharger *IN* MD. They can charge at home. And we have thousands of those. Those you pictured are for travelers from other states. And this time of year, we don't have many of those.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:47 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The technology for autonomous cars is a tough one. I don't see it being reliable for a long time unless there are some real break throughs. Same with EV's. Plus, where is the electric generation capacity going to come from it we are forced to switch to EV's. The vast majority of our electricity comes form Fossil Fuels anyway.

A lot of EVs are being powered by home solar. Check it out. I know a number of people that only use solar for their EV use. Most EVs are in use in CA, where solar is a big deal.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sure there is, Lithium Ion replaced Nickel Metal Hydride, and Lithium-air or Aluminum-air is set to replace Lithium Ion. Until the Volt did it, no one used Lithium Ion in cars, and now everyone does. But replacement chemistry is being worked on quite heavily. When we will see it in mass production is the big question...

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...led-with-water
“Lithium air†is the equivalent of nuclear fusion. Yes it’s possible, but it’s a long way away from ever being practical. Lithium ion had been around for decades. It has the same drawbacks that it’s had for decades.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well - the combination of:

Autonomy
Lack of ICE
Controls based heavily on Software

Is certainly more than just manual/automatic!

Electric cars will eventually be so simple (they already are - in the case of a Tesla 3) - you have eliminated thousands of parts and operations and simply went to an electric motor and the energy that powers it.

A Tesla drivetrain has 17 moving parts compared to 200 in an ICE vehicle.

ICE cars have something like 2,000 moving parts - Tesla far fewer.

This is not evolution. It is revolution. It's closer to the IC replacing the Vacuum Tube. This happens with many technologies - we do them the hard way first, then eventually figure out that there is a simpler way. Who would have thought a piece of sand would replace billions of tubes?

Even the small revolution of LED lighting is major in terms of the effect. 1/10th of the energy used. Bulbs that last 5 to 10X longer. That's not evolution. Halogen was evolution.
Yet Tesla ranks among the most unreliable vehicles in the world. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ble-car-2018-9

EV’s have a drawback to counter every advantage. So yes, it’s automatic he manual. Or diesel vs gas.
Go live in an average apartment than go tell us how superior an EV is.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So tell me what the difference is in relation to motorized cars and the number of people they have killed over the years (for whatever reason)...Are you equally outraged with motorized cars?...Or...have their benefits outweighed the negatives?

Motorized cars have been around for a little over 100 yrs now, when you look at malfunctions, accidents, etc. millions of people have lost their lives thanks to motorized vehicles....but NO ONE is trying to say it wasnt worth switching from horse and buggy to the motor car, for the most part, all the deaths and injuries have been an acceptable trade off, due to the benefits of motorized vehicles.

In other words, NO ONE is calling the switch to motor cars, a mistake, or that we should go back to horse and buggy...
Good points.
People forget that driving isn’t a constitutional right. It’s a privilege just like flying a plane. Pilots don’t worry about all this government “infringement”.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Because no one with a Tesla in MD needs to use a Supercharger *IN* MD. They can charge at home. And we have thousands of those. Those you pictured are for travelers from other states. And this time of year, we don't have many of those.
Then based on the information in your post it seems like a poor business decision to locate those chargers where they are. Would people who live in Annapolis, DC, or Baltimore need them in order to go to Ocean City or the Delaware beaches? It seems well within the operating range of the vehicles. Now if they were located in Lewes, Rehoboth, or O.C. then I could see their utility as a charging station away from home for those particular vacation spots.

On another note: how many Teslas does anyone see driving around our area? I've installed a handful of the chargers in people's homes (perhaps 3 or 4 in the past five years) but if I can extrapolate what I've done and how many people in my area do similar work I would expect there to be no more than a thousand Tesla chargers (which happens to be a very common 14-50R receptacle commonly used for ovens, nothing special) in my county which is approaching a population of 600k.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Electric is already cheaper - even where I live (and I pay 50% more than national avg).....

Also, keep in mind that gas does not fuel cars - it generates electric which can fuel EVs.

I agree that oil is artificially cheap. But eventually just the cost of production of ICE and other factors is going to work against them.

Some hyper-milers actually drove a Tesla 600 miles on one charge. IMHO, the range is the really big thing keeping me from an EV. I would need at least 400 miles and hopefully 450. But I am sure that will come.

I considered a Tesla when I just shopped for a car - ended up with a Hybrid Toyota (45 MPG) because of high electric prices here and also that the Tesla is RWD (snow). But they are getting quite close to being mainstream.
I’m kinda split here because I can see autonomy taking over. There’s just too much going for it. It’s all the beneifits of driving without the drawbacks. It works for everybody. (Yes even a Vette or Porsche can be autonomous, just as both come standard with cruise control).
Ev’s however just doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen anytime soon. Sure there’s a market, but not enough to change everybody over. Financially the biggest drawback is depreciation. All EV’s are outdated the day they come out. Coupled with the higher initial cost, it destroys the fuel savings.
Recharging just isn’t practical. Works great if you have a charger in your garage. For most people who don’t or live in rentals or apartments, condos, or park on the street..:not so much. Terrible car to have if you’re looking at hurricanes or storms that knock out power. Just when you think oil prices rise high enough to make the negatives worthwhile, the damn free market economy kicks in and drops the price again.
EV’s have a long way to go before they replace the ICE. A car replacing the horse was in comparison pretty straight forward. Owning a horse sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive