Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I was feeling pretty good about this idea until reading the following post.

That's one of the things I was concerned about. Although it doesn't make sense since one can only drive one car at a time.

If work was not so far form home, I'd buy two beaters and just get liability coverage.
It makes sense from a comprehensive standpoint...floods, fires, tornados, earthquakes not to mention owners of multiple vehicles are more likely to loan one out to a friend or family member in need who may not have their own coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
he has plenty of money thank you. and no they are not junkers, they just tended to sit a long periods of time with out being run. batteries go dead over time from just sitting, you know that. but every vehicle was fully operational and in good overall condition.
That had to be expensive to insure 10 cars. I have 4 and it’s costing a lot. That’s why I’m selling one. I did buy a commuter as my diesel was too expensive to drive to and from work. Commuter is cheap to maintain cheap to run. It makes perfect sense to have two vehicles. Jus5 check your insurance rates.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That had to be expensive to insure 10 cars. .

Not necessarily. When I did that, I had broadform insurance that covered me as a driver in any car with the state requirements for insurance coverage (liability, uninsured motorist, but not collision or comprehensive coverage). I figured that if *I* crashed the car, I should be forced to fix or replace it at my cost, but if someone else hit one, THEY were responsible. Washington was not a no-fault state, so whoever caused the accident was on the hook for it.

I never made a claim in all my years living there, so it worked out. And since I never had a car with a loan against it while living there, I was never required to have collision or comprehensive coverage on any of my cars by a bank. These days it's a little different, so I only have 4 cars now (three on regular insurance, on on Hagerty classic car insurance)

Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
I have had 2 vehicles for my own personal use for practically my whole life (usually one a 3-seasons sports car of one make or another, plus my daily). There are many ways and reasons this can come in handy.

Sure, there is some cost, more to insurance and the government... but those costs are not prohibitive by any stretch. At least for me.

Having the extra vehicle does come in handy if either my wife's car or mine need to be dropped for service and we still need two vehicles on the day. From just a motoring enjoyment standpoint, it also allows me to have a stick shift, low to the ground rwd sports car for fun, and an AWD car for getting thru winters and being able to seat more than 2 people.

Whether the benefits of two vehicles outweigh the expenses associated with them is only something you can answer for yourself.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:18 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
We own two, one is a 2017 Outback, the other is a 1994 Ford F-150. The Ford doesn't get used too much, but it's great for hauling dirt, bark-a-mulch, tree limbs and trash to the landfill.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
An uncle is selling a 10 year old SUV with low miles and I can get a good deal for it.
Never turn down a good working family vehicle.

Have always had two vehicles. One a sedan and one a pickup truck. Almost always used vehicles.
Obviously insurance is more for two vehicles and costs vary by state, city, and zip code.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
3-vehicle household here. One is wife's. Each one does something differently than the other and it's nice to have options.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I used to winter in Vermont and summer on the Massachusetts coast with two cars. A VW GTI as my daily driver and a body on frame SUV as my rolling ski locker in the winter and trash hauler in the summer. It was a huge PITA moving two cars 220 miles twice per year. One summer, I just left the SUV in Vermont. Otherwise, I’d be begging rides and taking the bus.

I collapsed those down to a 6 cylinder Outback. I’d love to have an engaging summer toy to drive but my garage is stuffed full of boats and I have nowhere to store it in the winter. You can’t have everything and I picked boats and skiing over cars.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,048 times
OP, why stop at 2?
We have a total of 5 in our driveway lol

Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM

680 posts, read 534,186 times
You could get a commuter car and buy a set of winter tires. I think winter tires on a FWD car, is just as good as all season tires on a AWD vehicle, maybe even better. I have a 2017 Honda Civic with all season tires and have never had problems in the snow. Just have to drive slower during heavy snowfall. If you're looking for something with really good MPG, try a Toyota hybrid or 2019 Honda Insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive