Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So in essence you proved that they are more likely to flip than cars. Thank you for supporting my comment.

Here's reading info for you to support both my view and apparently yours too on how likely SUVs are to tip over. It's basic physics really.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/autowis...-tip-over/amp/

And your car's cousin, the Yukon is included in that link!
His point is that SUVs and trucks being “more likely” to roll over than a sedan still doesn’t make it “probable.”

Rolling any type of passenger vehicle is extremely rare in the USA. It’s not a rational criteria to base a decision on. It’s not like 1 in a 1,000,000 cars roll over each year but 1 in 10 trucks and SUVs do. It’s so rare that from a practical standpoint, it doesn’t really matter what you drive.

This reminds me of the same type of reasoning that prevents some people from hiking in the woods in the south because the night get bit by a copperhead. Yes, bad if it happens but it’s very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
So in essence you proved that they are more likely to flip than cars. Thank you for supporting my comment.

Here's reading info for you to support both my view and apparently yours too on how likely SUVs are to tip over. It's basic physics really.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/autowis...-tip-over/amp/

And your car's cousin, the Yukon is included in that link!
Drive what you like why do people always have to complain about what others drive, so what if vehicles flip over, planes also crash I’m susprised no one is bring up witch planes crash the most.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
His point is that SUVs and trucks being “more likely” to roll over than a sedan still doesn’t make it “probable.”

Rolling any type of passenger vehicle is extremely rare in the USA. It’s not a rational criteria to base a decision on. It’s not like 1 in a 1,000,000 cars roll over each year but 1 in 10 trucks and SUVs do. It’s so rare that from a practical standpoint, it doesn’t really matter what you drive.

This reminds me of the same type of reasoning that prevents some people from hiking in the woods in the south because the night get bit by a copperhead. Yes, bad if it happens but it’s very rare.
I never said SUVs rolling over are probable. I said "possibility of a rollover is very serious" and that they are more likely than cars to roll over.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Drive what you like why do people always have to complain about what others drive, so what if vehicles flip over, planes also crash I’m susprised no one is bring up witch planes crash the most.
Please point out where I was complaining.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Trucks and SUVs are also more likely to roll over because of where and how people use them, cars do not roll over in off road situations because cars are not used in off road situations. thus you cannot simply use raw statistics without factoring in variables that make a portion of the statistics inapplicable to what you are trying to compare. Perhaps you need to add another zero or two in that percentage.

I am pretty sure you are more likely to win a million $ or more in the lotto r than to roll over in an accident. Which means you are also more likely to get hit by lightening twice. This in turn means you should have a lightning rod installed on your vehicle before you start worrying about rolling it. Or another way to look at it is that discussing the tiny fraction of difference int he likelihood of a rollover between pick ups and cars is kind of silly. I am certain that i am more likely to get my dog to roll over than my truck, and if you knew how stubborn my dog is, you would realize how remote a possibility that really is.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I feel there is more of a possibility rolling my narrow, clunky Fiesta sedan then either of my 4x4's, and that includes my lifted one. Those are about 80 inches wide (perhaps the lifted one is a tad more as it has wide tires on wider rims). That fiesta, like many compacts is very narrow. It feels very unstable going around a curve. But then again, I haven't driven it in month's as I am very happy with the MPG's of my new F150. Yes, still considerably less then my clown car but with the added comfort, that is my daily driver! Think the clown car will be traded in for an SUV.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Never understood why people care so much about what another person drives. If you like cars, drive a car. You like trucks, drive a truck. People trying to convince others what to drive seems to be a big waste of time.

Some people only see an issue from their own perspective. It seems like the OP is actually enraged when others buy what he perceives as not in compliance with his beliefs. People like that are what we typically refer to as a fanatical extremist.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Maybe they should stick to flying brooms.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
SUVs and trucks are far more likely to flip over in a crash making them more dangerous than cars. Possibility of a rollover is very serious.
Modern SUVs, have stabilization built in and this is no longer a real problem, and that is 20 year old news you are stating.

In 2018 the following are facts.

Safest vehicle for accidents is large SUV to prevent death to occupants.

Pickups and SUVs are far safer than today's cars with far lower death rates.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
What percent of vehicles have this? Even with this, you cannot change physics. Lower center of gravity will not flip as easily as a vehicle with a higher center of gravity.
Wrong. They now have stability control in SUVs to keep them from rolling.

The little cars they build today compared to the past, cannot stand up to wrecks against middle size and up SUVs, and Pickups. It is like arranging a fight between a champion heavy weight boxer, and a champion feather weight boxer. The heavy weight will win every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive