Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

0 seconds, if they cut me off or don't let me in I don't care. Even if they almost hit me but miss I don't care.

However, if I accidentally cut them off and they start following, my blood starts to boil. I hate when people follow or tailgate you because they're mad.

But I'm non-confrontational even if someone is tailgating me because I apparently did something wrong to them. So they're just going to be in their car mad because I'm not pulling over or rolling down my window until the police show up.

I'll let the police solve any person who wants to come at me with road rage. It's always the idiots who are packing guns that want to initiate road rage violence and I'm not taking the bait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As others point out, it is not the duty of existing traffic to move over and let new traffic in. Sometimes they don't and sometimes they can't, but it's not their job anyway.
Whether it's their job makes no difference. The longer a person waits to get into traffic, the more desperate they become to just "dart out" into traffic and "cut someone off" who now has to slam on their brakes.

They're getting into the new traffic regardless if someone "lets" them in, the question is how reckless they're going to be to do it and how long they're going to wait.

My point is that it's more beneficial for everyone on the road to let a few people into traffic regardless if it's their job or if they don't have the right of way. This "everyone out for themselves" mentality is where all this road rage comes from.

Last edited by Rocko20; 12-17-2018 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
I had some crazy guy in a convertible Mercedes follow me then try to race me and at a stoplight he wanted me to pull over and have sex. That is when I ditched him for good. Another reason that I luv my 2009 328i X Drive with pedals

Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
I'm not 100% sure I'm following your scenario, but no one is obligated to let you merge. If you are merging, it's your responsibility to time your merge and join the flow of traffic safely.
Aww come on now, we’ve all had times when someone wouldn’t let us merge. If I see someone having a hard time getting over, I’ll back off the throttle and let them over. Many people have a ‘me first’ attitude though, and will intentionally speed up to prevent someone from getting ahead of them.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 291,718 times
I just assume every knucklehead has a gun and is crazy enough to use it.
Just take a deep breath and let them go, it’s not worth it. Life is short enough.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 AM

59 posts, read 63,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
True but it IS inconsiderate not to move over for merging vehicles if traffic flow easily allows it...possibly stupid and potentially dangerous as well.

Exactly, people often purposely make it more difficult for people to merge. People will ride right besides you, you speed up, they speed up...you slow down, they slow down. Like it's a game. I have people try to run into me or wreck me every week on our on ramp where the lane runs out. It doesn't matter if I was an entire car length in front of them.

Merging-There will often be 4 lanes completely empty and instead of moving over to let traffic merge onto the interstate they head right into it.

If I am in a position where I'm in the right lane and I see lots of traffic getting onto the interstate, I get over a lane if I can. Why not? Somebody could come flying out in front of me and cause me to wreck as well....
Road Rage-when I was younger I honestly used to get really angry for a few minutes. Ridiculous I know. Now I just laugh most of the time, lots of people have guns, it's not worth it. The only time I get angry in the car is people driving way too slow in the left lane.

Something funny I saw one day-my wife and I were driving down the interstate and these two cars were mad at each other, swerving at one another like they were going to wreck the other. This was about 50+ mph, probably 60; I thought for sure it was just two crazy guys....well about that time they actually collided. WAM!....They pulled over and two women got out dressed for the office.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Aww come on now, we’ve all had times when someone wouldn’t let us merge. If I see someone having a hard time getting over, I’ll back off the throttle and let them over. Many people have a ‘me first’ attitude though, and will intentionally speed up to prevent someone from getting ahead of them.
I agree unless they purposely ignored a chance to get over earlier just to see if they could move ahead of the line and merge at the last minute.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Watching a bunch of bad driving videos on YouTube cured me of road rage. I don’t want to be one of those people.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post

How about you? How long does a Road Rage (someone else being an expletive idiot, in front of or around you) stay with you? And at what point does it become a very dangerous road rage, all-out race, confrontation, vehicular measuring contest, etc?
Well I start by getting all the details (plate, car and driver description), then I get to my nearest "guns and ammo superstore" and stock up on supplies. Then I get my mega phone and go to the persons house and tell them my speech:

I don't know who you are, but I know where you are. I have a particular set of skills that make me a nightmare for people like you and if you give up your license and your car right now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you and I will not pursue you. If you do not I will look for you and I will find you again!

I'm not a road rage kind of guy......the brake checking idea really confuses me the most: Slam on your brakes so the guy you are mad at rear ends you? Who wins? The popularity of guns and cameras usually means your road rage is going to end badly.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I use cruise control a lot........my speed doesn't change yet I frequently see people who speed up once I'm set to pass them. Then you pass them and they settle right back in to the speed they were doing when you attempted to pass them. Yet I'm still going the same speed due to the cruise control!

I have a relative (by marriage) that is the left lane, "King of the Road" in his Lexus at 5 mph over the speed limit. When someone attempts to pass, it becomes a speed up to prevent them deal. It literally happens every time someone rides with him (they report the identical story).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive