Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

I had a dingus in a truck honk at me because I wasn't quick enough pulling out a green light. Two things. It was at the top of a hill and if I rabbit start my road atlas I keep on the dash would slide off. Second, my car is under powered( 130 HP) from a stop and you have to punch it to get it moving and I don't like hearing the engine revving. And I was turning onto my side street just up the road, literally right up ahead so there was no point in racing to get there. I pulled out right away so I guess he was mad I didn't go fast enough or maybe he didn't see my blinker. But he annoyed me until I pulled into the garage about 30 seconds later.
I generally view someone honking their horns or flashing their high beams as a courtesy warning to you that you're being approached by a poor driver and to give them a wide berth.
My biggest gripe has to be with mergers. Either the cretins who wait until the last second to merge from a closing lane, speeding by those who did already, or when you change lanes to let someone merge from an onramp and try to get back to your original lane only to see that they're flooring it and passing you on the right.
And there are those who don't stop at red lights and make right turns on reds because they have a merging lane. You get the green and go and see someone making a right never stopping or slowing down.

Last edited by Icy Tea; 12-18-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
,<snip>... or when you change lanes to let someone merge from an onramp and try to get back to your original lane only to see that they're flooring it and passing you on the right. <snip>
Those don't bother me. It's the ones that merge next to you and then match your speed so you can't get back over without speeding up or braking. I don't care if they pass me or go slower than me.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I had a dingus in a truck honk at me because I wasn't quick enough pulling out a green light. Two things. It was at the top of a hill and if I rabbit start my road atlas I keep on the dash would slide off. Second, my car is under powered( 130 HP) from a stop and you have to punch it to get it moving and I don't like hearing the engine revving. And I was turning onto my side street just up the road, literally right up ahead so there was no point in racing to get there. I pulled out right away so I guess he was mad I didn't go fast enough or maybe he didn't see my blinker. But he annoyed me until I pulled into the garage about 30 seconds later.
I generally view someone honking their horns or flashing their high beams as a courtesy warning to you that you're being approached by a poor driver and to give them a wide berth.
My biggest gripe has to be with mergers. Either the cretins who wait until the last second to merge from a closing lane, speeding by those who did already, or when you change lanes to let someone merge from an onramp and try to get back to your original lane only to see that they're flooring it and passing you on the right.
And there are those who don't stop at red lights and make right turns on reds because they have a merging lane. You get the green and go and see someone making a right never stopping or slowing down.
...and I don't like the cretins who think they are in their own driveway and take 15 min to get up to the speed limit.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Years ago I had someone have a road rage fit at me and I don't even know why.
All I know is it was dark out and all of a sudden this crazy guy is trying to run me off the road.

I managed to dodge the goof and slowed way down so that he got in front of me.
And then... the red and blue lights. The cop goes right by me and pulls the guy over. He must've seen the whole thing.
I drove away laffing. I actually hope that idiot was drunk so that he would get to learn a real hard and expensive lesson.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
All I know is it was dark out and all of a sudden this crazy guy is trying to run me off the road.

And then... the red and blue lights. The cop goes right by me and pulls the guy over. He must've seen the whole thing.
I drove away laffing. I actually hope that idiot was drunk so that he would get to learn a real hard and expensive lesson.
'laughing'

Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
'laughing'
I did that on purpose, as in "Laff-A-Lympics".

Old 12-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I did that on purpose, as in "Laff-A-Lympics".
My bet! I didn't catch it t first.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:

Happened to me somewhat like that, on a major freeway in Oakland CA twenty years ago. Carload of bad actors saw a cop and swerved in front of me (cut me off) to "hide". I lay on the little horn and waved my arms; I was p.o.'d. Being a talented rider, it wasn't super-close in terms of wrecking me out, however.

Here comes the cop, fast. Hits the lights, signals and eases between me and the sketchy guys, pulling them over. Hope he called backup and shot them all.

Something even better happened another day about that time, but therein lies another story.

Answer to OP: not long, really. It dawns on me I don't drive all that much, and haven't car commuted literally in two years. That's glorious. Could change, though, then I'll have to reexamine the problem space. My three most powerful weapons are the gray matter between my ears, my cell phone, and my HK P9SK. In that order. It's never gone beyond the second, so far, fortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive