Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times

Advertisements

It depends. Hypotheticals really can't be evaluate here. I've had bare bones cars in the past...like 4-speed manual transmission without a tachometer, no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning, no passenger side mirror, no stereo, etc...there was an AWD turbo variant but cost twice as much.

Now if I'm buying used, I'd probably go for the loaded version because I'd expect to pay roughly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Although there are options that I neither need nor want, such as a navigation system, there is no way I am going to drive around in a bare bones vehicle.

Therefore, given only two choices, I choose the highly upgraded car that costs more.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
I'd rather pay extra for the loaded model. I'm spoiled by heated and cooled seats.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Perhaps I need to re-iterate here.
When I started this thread, I was speaking of one model of vehicle.
Let's take am American Ford Explorer as an example.
Hypothetically, Ford makes two models of this suv,one bare bones, and one equipped with all options available.
Nothing in between, you either buy the optioned one, or basic one.
Which would you choose, and why?
The same could apply to any vehicles being produced, one optioned to the hilt, and one bare bones.

The reason I asked this question is, for years I think the automotive industry has been building vehicles they "want" us to have, without input from the public.
Many times we are forced to buy what they make, not what we want.
Who was it in the industry that decided I need cruise control, heated seats, navigation, a vehicle 3 feet off the ground with 24" wheels, with headlights that blind opposing drivers?
Auto makers use these gadgets to sell vehicles.

There isn't a vehicle in the world that truly needs these gadgets.
We buyers of vehicles have been duped big time by the auto makers, to the point there is no turning back.

Bob.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Bare bones over TOTL.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If the auto manufacturer's were to make two vehicles, one with every option available, and one bare bones, which one would you choose?
The fully optioned vehicle would of course cost thousands over the bare bones model.
The bare bones model would only have the basics, that being auto trans, air, and am/fm radio with usb port, and that's it.
No power seats, windows, mirrors, no cruise control, navigation, just bare bones necessities.
Would any of you choose the bare bones model?

Bob.

For my daily driver, I want every option the manufacturer put on that model. But, for years, I was a manufacturers rep, and put on about 100,000 miles a year. I bought Toyota Corollas, only options were a stereo and AC, and I dumped them after two years and got another one just like it.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
It would be nice if automobile manufacturers would let me "build my own" starting from scratch. If the was the case I would buy a tall AWD van without interior trim (interior/exterior), no insulation, just two seats in front, no column between the seats (just floor), and so on. I would turn such into a compact RV, and take my time to complete it.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 PM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
If the auto manufacturer's were to make two vehicles, one with every option available, and one bare bones, which one would you choose?
The fully optioned vehicle would of course cost thousands over the bare bones model.
The bare bones model would only have the basics, that being auto trans, air, and am/fm radio with usb port, and that's it.
No power seats, windows, mirrors, no cruise control, navigation, just bare bones necessities.
Would any of you choose the bare bones model?

Bob.

Barebones is fine for me. The rest is fluff that manufacturers have brainwashed the public into "needing".

Old 12-18-2018, 03:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Bare bones, but without the automatic. Can I trade that for an upgraded stereo?

All that power stuff - windows, doors, mirrors - is great, until it doesn't work and you are stuck with the window up or down until you can get the car repaired. I love heated seats, but if they don't work, it's nothing worse than an inconvenience. A window you can't close or a door that will not unlock is a more serious problem.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Perhaps I need to re-iterate here.
When I started this thread, I was speaking of one model of vehicle.
Let's take am American Ford Explorer as an example.
Hypothetically, Ford makes two models of this suv,one bare bones, and one equipped with all options available.
Nothing in between, you either buy the optioned one, or basic one.
Which would you choose, and why?
The same could apply to any vehicles being produced, one optioned to the hilt, and one bare bones.

The reason I asked this question is, for years I think the automotive industry has been building vehicles they "want" us to have, without input from the public.
Many times we are forced to buy what they make, not what we want.
Who was it in the industry that decided I need cruise control, heated seats, navigation, a vehicle 3 feet off the ground with 24" wheels, with headlights that blind opposing drivers?
Auto makers use these gadgets to sell vehicles.

There isn't a vehicle in the world that truly needs these gadgets.
We buyers of vehicles have been duped big time by the auto makers, to the point there is no turning back.

Bob.
I disagree with this statement because no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. For instance, I would love a new car but I don't like the new technology, styling, and cost associated with new cars these days, therefore I wont buy one, ill stick with used. If more people did that, maybe the car manufacturers would realize that in order to keep their sales up they need to listen to what people want. Unfortunately, we don't live in a car culture anymore and the majority of the people just want no frill, safe, basic, reliable transportation and will buy whatever the car manufacturers are selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive