Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:26 AM

723 posts, read 571,317 times

Advertisements

Bare bones here, but with manual transmission, A/C, and cruise control please. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I want the middle options if that was available. I drive an almost barebones van now though.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:48 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not enough information in your post really.

If I were looking for a small, two seat, sporty car, where amenities take a back seat to the fun to drive aspect, then sure, I'd go with a bare bones model. (An auto manufacturer already does this to an extent, btw, and it's Porsche, with their GT3 models that have straps of leather to open the door instead of door handles, and lacking many of the features found on other 911 models.) Those things sell like hot cakes.

But if I were looking to buy an SUV, where comfort, safety, were a priority, then I'd absolutely want all the bells and whistles.
I agree with this. I'd likely fall somewhere in between. Which is why I'm glad most models have a few trims to choose from.

Albeit I would say models like GT3 is a bit of an apple to oranges comparison. That's a purposely built car. They're removing a lot of the amenities for weight saving purposes. And many buyers still throw some of the stuff back in as they're not always buying it to race/track it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Perhaps I need to re-iterate here.
When I started this thread, I was speaking of one model of vehicle.
Let's take am American Ford Explorer as an example.
Hypothetically, Ford makes two models of this suv,one bare bones, and one equipped with all options available.
Nothing in between, you either buy the optioned one, or basic one.
Which would you choose, and why?
The same could apply to any vehicles being produced, one optioned to the hilt, and one bare bones.

The reason I asked this question is, for years I think the automotive industry has been building vehicles they "want" us to have, without input from the public.
Many times we are forced to buy what they make, not what we want.
Who was it in the industry that decided I need cruise control, heated seats, navigation, a vehicle 3 feet off the ground with 24" wheels, with headlights that blind opposing drivers?
Auto makers use these gadgets to sell vehicles.

There isn't a vehicle in the world that truly needs these gadgets.
We buyers of vehicles have been duped big time by the auto makers, to the point there is no turning back.

Bob.
It's simple economics. It doesn't make a lot of sense to make every combination out there or take customized orders for every car. It's not what YOU need, but what the customers as a collective will buy. And how the manufactures can provide that at a price that will maximize their profit. This why you don't get a whole lot of station wagons in the U.S. even though some people want them (me included). And I'd argue that people will also complain if you made everything an option and have people pick and choose, not to mention raise prices as it removes the some economies of scale. In some cases, you do have the option of special ordering a car which gives you some choices on what you get.

And by limiting your choices to two options in your scenario - aren't you also doing the same thing? I would fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Fully loaded here

I keep my cars for a long time, and usually getting them with bells and whistles helps keep my interests over time.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would go bare bones because i know a few things here.

1: the automakers used the same wiring harness regardless of how loaded up the option list is due to manufacturing concerns, so its easy enough to add what ever bells and whistles i want after i own the car, including thing like heated seats, etc.
I've found this to be untrue. Specifically, with Jeeps. Could be down to model year, however. I couldn't even install the cheap-ass clock in an XJ because the harness didn't have the plug!

Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I've found this to be untrue. Specifically, with Jeeps. Could be down to model year, however. I couldn't even install the cheap-ass clock in an XJ because the harness didn't have the plug!

It's not true. Might have been true 30-40 years ago, but now, cars have different wiring harnesses based on trim level, engine options, etc.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Fully loaded please... well within reason.
A vehicle purchase is a huge chunk of cash in the budget regardless if it's bare bones or not. So , If I'm spending that kind of money, I want the most I can get. Not to mention, the 4 hour or more treks to our rural cottage are so much nicer in something with some amenities.

For instance. My next purchase will most likely be a Dodge Ram. It has to be 4WD, and I want the mega cab. They offer a Tradesman, SLT, Lone Star, Laramie , Laramie Long Horn and Limited.

I'm going with a Laramie Sport. The other packages offer ugly badging, gaudy interior trim and just some options I don't want.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It's not true. Might have been true 30-40 years ago, but now, cars have different wiring harnesses based on trim level, engine options, etc.
Agreed. I tried to add a heated steering wheel to my '14 Ford. I was able to use my laptop to add the menu option to the touchscreen. Then I went to install the heated wheel module and discovered the wiring wasn't present on my model car. Since I didn't want to replace the dash harness, I abandoned this.

I can confirm up to around the early 90's Ford used one harness typically unless a major change (like different engine types) but cars I've worked on the the mid to late 90's and on tended to need new harnesses to mix and match features not originally equipped.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:55 AM

59 posts, read 63,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If the auto manufacturer's were to make two vehicles, one with every option available, and one bare bones, which one would you choose?
The fully optioned vehicle would of course cost thousands over the bare bones model.
The bare bones model would only have the basics, that being auto trans, air, and am/fm radio with usb port, and that's it.
No power seats, windows, mirrors, no cruise control, navigation, just bare bones necessities.
Would any of you choose the bare bones model?

Bob.

I would buy a simple car at the right price and reliability. I test drove a car recently and the salesmen remarked, "this doesn't have power seats, it's a base model." My response was, "No problemo." If the seat is comfy then I don't care if I have to put in a little more effort to move it.

It's all largely stuff that will not only break but stuff you can't work on yourself...Cruise Control, this is a good one. My truck has it, I have used it very little. Navigation-I have my phone or I even do the old school thing-PRINT OUT the directions just in case I lose signal in the mountains.

I couldn't have a car without mirrors though, HAHA. Too dangerous.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I like creature comforts. No bare bone models here. Power windows, locks, good stereo, adjustable seats (no leather though), back up camera, fog lights, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive