Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
When the Tbird was painted seven years ago, it cost $5000., so $8000, is not out of the question to have your Toyota painted.
The old saying, you get what you pay for most definitely holds true when it comes to painting a vehicle.
You obviously want to keep the truck, so I would say, it would be money well spent.

Bob.
Isn't that Tbird considered a "classic" car? That's different than paint an old, daily driver car.

It sounds like the OP really wants to spend the money. He doesn't mind losing $8k upfront since the paint won't add to the value of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Get yourself a half dozen quotes to have it repainted. $8,000 is insane, I don’t care where you live. Any competent body shop should beat that by several thousand dollars.
I agree. I'd get a few quotes and look at their work, then decide. There could be a shop that's just as decent for 1/2 the price.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:09 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
What about a local community college or trade school that teaches body and paint work? If done under an Instructor's direction, it may not be "perfect" but would probably be better than Maaco. Wyotech in Laramie, WY used to take in local work to give the kids something to gain experience on at a nominal cost for both mechanical and body, but my experience is three decades old, and obviously, you're going to want a local place. Google is your friend.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I would hope the OP has more than one quote.
It's hard to believe that this is the competant body shop in town.
Yeah i would hope so too. Most quick body shops have different tier pricing. Like I said I have a camper being done at a Maaco, in fact I am picking it up today. I saw a few cars they were doing and the paint jobs looked pretty good at n the cars that were waiting to be put back together. They may not be Concourse De Elegance worthy but for daily drivers I don’t see a issue with it.

You guys are bringing in hot rods, collectibles, antiques. Come on let’s get real. Christ the dude has a Toyota and it’s a daily driver. I don’t care if he keeps it forever 99% of all Toyotas made will have absolutely no resale or collectible value. It would be beyond insane to pour 8,000 dollars into a paint job on a daily driver vehicle.
I like my vehicles but there is no way I would put 8k paint jobs on them. He can remove all the trim grille, body moldings etc and get a better paint job.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Like i said $8,000 paint job on a old Toyota pickup is insane, for $8,000 you can get another used pickup. I can’t believe this person is even thinking about doing it.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I would paint it but not a high end paint job. Most of the issue with low end paint is the lack of prep work. If you have an air compressor you can get a DA and do almost all the prep work yourself.

I have a '95 in similar condition with peeling clear coat.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Did some more checking around. One guy found a few problems with the factory undercoat on both the cabs rear and the front of the bed. He said that if I want to keep the truck these places should be repaired, it's only going to get worse. From what he can see it's nothing big and bad. That's why they want to take the cab and bed off.

That's why its so expensive.

I look at it liike this guys. Why buy a new one? I could learn to work on new vehicles above and beyond maintenance but ffs I already know everything about this truck. I've rebuilt the undercarriage and even a new fuel pump in the tank, all the accessories are recent. The truck is SOUND. It's RELIABLE. It just needs a paint job. To top it off even my daughters say they would be sad to see it go. We've got a lot of good memories in it.

Buy a used anything is asking for trouble. No way.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
But it probably won't get stolen. The last time I had someone else paint a vehicle for me, it cost $19.95 at Earl Scheib.
The only reason it hasn't been stolen yet is because it's a stick and none of those theiving b*****ds can drive a stick shift.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
1) If not rust, and plan on keeping it... paint it (yourself if possible)

Join a Community college class or see if they will paint it for material cost (~$300)

You can get a AC and gun and paint and air tools for under $500.

I did this one about 6 yrs ago... ($80 in materials) Not perfect, but OK for a $300 truck that gets 44 mpg on free fuel.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-caddy-rf.jpg

If you say you are gonna die in it, and you are thinking of a 'wrap'... get a Ford Flex and have it wrapped as a Casket, with flowers on top, and Grandpa Munster on the hood

Old 01-05-2019, 06:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
A vehicle that’s not a classic and is 27 years old is not worth nothing more than a cheap macco paint job because you’re never going to recover any more money you put into a 27 year old vehicle unless it’s a classic and a 27 year old Toyota is no classic but to each it’s own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive