Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Agreed, but there's a difference between options and requirements. Backup cameras were optional until this year. Now they're a requirement. They're no longer special and every vehicle has to have them.
Agree. Backup cameras and I think traction control, too.

Take a look at the "cataracts" formed on some mid-2000s Mercedes models... makes me cringe.

Read up on the issue and there are a few people who have had the haze form on the inside of the lens when running HIDs. Perhaps they produce UV light? I did a retrofit and mine have this weird pink-and-blue cast that is totally NOT visible when on camera. Lights look normal halogen yellow in pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
My Wife thought headlight wipers were "Cute"

But using her guidance the last new car search I did my keyword was "Blue"

We could buy any car as long as it was blue and subcompact, wound up with a VW Jetta, she loves it.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
2019 Lexus RX. Lexus LS. Lexus GX, Bentley Bentayga, Bentley Mulsanne, Bentley Continental, Bentley Flying Spur, Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Panamera, Ferrari California, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Highlander, ...

Do I need to go on?

Not sure why this is even a discussion.
May be this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-washers.html

Ok, I admit it. I have never used one of these but is slurping washer all over the headlight and let it drip and smear down really cleans anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL8sm_qlo4E

Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Talk about headlights needing cleaning, brings up this story: My neighbor did custom mechanical work in his garage at home. A steady customer brought her 20 year-old BMW sedan to him for annual service and repairs, driving 250 miles, because the dealerships did such shoddy work. She then flew off to Hawaii, before returning a week later, to drive her car home.

One year, she said that her headlights were becoming dim. It was because the inside of the plastic outer lens had become oxidized and clouded. When she ordered new headlight assemblies through a dealer from Germany, they were also 20 years old and had the same inside clouding. So she asked my friend if he could do something.

While he was doing the mechanical service, I tackled the headlight problem. The headlight assemblies weren't intended to be taken apart, but I figured out a way to open a small entryway to the inside, that didn't break anything. I put Meguiar's Plastic Polish on a small scrub brush with a curved handle and scoured the clouded layer off the inside. I then worked a rag around the area on a long stick and cleaned off all the residue and did the same on the outside surface. The headlights became just as bright as new. When the woman picked up her car, she was delighted. She wouldn't have gotten that done by many commercial garages. The procedure certainly wasn't in the service manual.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
May be this?

Ok, I admit it. I have never used one of these but is slurping washer all over the headlight and let it drip and smear down really cleans anything?

The headlight wasn’t dirty at all, what did you expect? Go get some dirt on the lights and then use washers while actually moving. I have them, but they are only used when lights are on and you activate windshield washer, which I can’t recall if I’ve ever had it happen in mine. If my windshield needs washing, there’s a decent chance my headlights might need it too. If my headlights need cleaning, then my vehicle is dirty, so who cares if spray gets on body.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Ah the emperors' new clothes selling scheme.

In the words of the invisible man: there's nothing to see here folks....move along.

My washer fluid freezes on my windshield where I live...can only imagine what it would do on headlights...

Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
My F-150 doesn't have headlight washers, but it has a washer for the front camera.
A friends Chevy Bolt has a washer for the rear camera. That is a feature I'd love to see on more cars.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
May be this?

In the winter or muddy conditions it makes a big difference. If you are using headlight washers your car is most like dirty already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive