Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times

Advertisements

I have had good experiences with customer service with Goodyear Tires.
I had a similar issue.
I was able to provide all support documents, original purchase and all rotations and alignments.
They gave me a very generous credit toward the proration replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I just went through this. My Audi (S4 Avant) eats tires. I’ve never gotten rated mileage out of any of them so I bought a full set of Continental DWS all season max performance tires with a 45,000 mile warranty. They didn’t make it to 20,000 miles. I took it back to my regular tire/suspension place and asked them if the warranties were worth anything or was it just marketing hype. She asked me what the tires were and when I told her she said Continental was usually very good about honoring their warranties. I also noticed they had an award from Continental on their wall for sales so maybe that helped as well.

Anyway, she called them and they asked her to have someone take inside, outside and middle thread depth measurements from each tire, to see that they were maintained and worn properly. After they did that she told me that Continental authorized for them to sell me a new full set of DWS tires for 55% off based on premature treadlife failure. I’ll keep doing this as long as they allow it.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I have had good experiences with customer service with Goodyear Tires.
I had a similar issue.
I was able to provide all support documents, original purchase and all rotations and alignments.
They gave me a very generous credit toward the proration replacement.
It's like rebates. If you keep every scrap of paper and follow every rule precisely (often at considerable cost of time and sometimes money), you win the prize. Forget to include inner flap #3, provide a sufficiently clear copy of the receipt or sign the form, and you lose.

I'm not saying tire treadwear warranties are exactly a scam, but the narrow gate you have to squeeze through to collect them makes them far more a marketing tool than a customer support one. Their product failed in X miles; you shouldn't have to "prove" much of anything for the warranty coverage to be valid.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Warranties are useless for tires IMO. Some sets get you 20k others 40-60k. The factors that cause wear are innumerable; type of car, driving habits, road conditions, vehicle condition (suspension, brakes, etc.), vehicle weights, etc.

My first set of Dunlops for the GLI netted me 25k miles tops before they were dead. I am on my second set of General G-Max and at 110k. I got 50k out of the first set of General's and am into the 2nd now, still in great shape. I will say don't cheap out on tires and get some off brand, I always hear guys at the tire shop come in and give the car and say I wanna spend $X-XX per tire. That always perplexes me because cost does play a role but put some thought into the brand, ratings, etc. before you just throw some VOGUE's instead of Michelin. You truly do get what you pay for.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Warranties are useless for tires IMO. Some sets get you 20k others 40-60k. The factors that cause wear are innumerable; type of car, driving habits, road conditions, vehicle condition (suspension, brakes, etc.), vehicle weights, etc.

My first set of Dunlops for the GLI netted me 25k miles tops before they were dead. I am on my second set of General G-Max and at 110k. I got 50k out of the first set of General's and am into the 2nd now, still in great shape. I will say don't cheap out on tires and get some off brand, I always hear guys at the tire shop come in and give the car and say I wanna spend $X-XX per tire. That always perplexes me because cost does play a role but put some thought into the brand, ratings, etc. before you just throw some VOGUE's instead of Michelin. You truly do get what you pay for.
The sumitomos I bought were the brand suggested by Big-O. When I came back in 18 months and 20k miles later to tell them I couldn't make it up a hill in 3-6 inches of snow they looked at me perplexed.

They said that is what I have on my Mustang and they are great.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Pro-rated, haha, you may get a dollar for your old tires.

I bought a really nice portable radio from Radio Shack, cost about 50 bucks. So I bought a warranty......I think it was for 3-years and pro-rated (which I did not know when I bought the warranty). Radio died after about 2 years and I basically got nothing from the warranty......a 2-dollar voucher for the purchase of another radio, DOH!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 PM

133 posts, read 211,189 times
I don't know how is it in other states, but here in Texas i had 5-6 flats in the last 3-4 years - almost all fixed by warranty.

In addition - a couple of months ago when my wife's had a flat, I used Firestone warranty to get her 3 new tires for ~170$. Just to compare i bought same tires for my car (without warranty on old ones) - 2 for 265$.

The tires i gave in from my wife's car were 3 years and more than 30K miles old. I consider that as a good deal.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb_09 View Post
I don't know how is it in other states, but here in Texas i had 5-6 flats in the last 3-4 years - almost all fixed by warranty.

In addition - a couple of months ago when my wife's had a flat, I used Firestone warranty to get her 3 new tires for ~170$. Just to compare i bought same tires for my car (without warranty on old ones) - 2 for 265$.

The tires i gave in from my wife's car were 3 years and more than 30K miles old. I consider that as a good deal.
Hmm I didn’t realize that states regulate tire warranties or standards?

What you’re referring to in “flats” are more road hazard related which I could have bought coverage for. What I’m referring to is tread life and the warranty to support it. The warranty standard coverage is at or below 2/32’s in measurement. My point is that where I live I’m at 4/32 and they are practically useless if we get even 2+ inches of snow that sticks. So the warranty doesn’t do me much good as the useful life is exhausted before I get to 2/32; which is unfortunate. I guess I would have been fine with it if the mileage was close to the stated 45-50k treadlife guarrant rather than 20k miles.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
I honestly don't even bother with tread life warranties. It seems tire companies will weasel their way out of paying anyway. "Oh, you rotated the tires at 5500 miles once, should've been 5000. Warranty denied." Even if they agree to a measly proration, the new set will be at a high list price, not the sale price I originally paid (I usually only buy during major sales). Seems like a scam all the way around.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 PM

133 posts, read 211,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Hmm I didn’t realize that states regulate tire warranties or standards?

What you’re referring to in “flats” are more road hazard related which I could have bought coverage for. What I’m referring to is tread life and the warranty to support it. The warranty standard coverage is at or below 2/32’s in measurement. My point is that where I live I’m at 4/32 and they are practically useless if we get even 2+ inches of snow that sticks. So the warranty doesn’t do me much good as the useful life is exhausted before I get to 2/32; which is unfortunate. I guess I would have been fine with it if the mileage was close to the stated 45-50k treadlife guarrant rather than 20k miles.
It is not state regulated.
In Firestone, the road hazard warranty can be used also to get a discount on new tires, and this discount is calculated by the thread life you got left on the old tires.
Just to make it clear - I had 1 flat. The other 3 was replaces since the salesman offered it, and i accepted it since it was a really good deal. New tires are important :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive