Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

Probably a stupid question. Too cheap to pay 50c for a gas station pump with a bad valve and a broken gauge, can I use my bike pump?

It's the same standard valve, right?
The PSI values are lower than a bike tire (35 PSI for most car tires, 80 for my bike).

Is there any reason a bike pump wouldn't work on a car tire? Obviously the volume of air is higher, so you'll be pumping for a long time, but other than that, is there any reason a bike hand pump can't be used on a car tire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Probably a stupid question. Too cheap to pay 50c for a gas station pump with a bad valve and a broken gauge, can I use my bike pump?

The PSI values are lower than a bike tire (35 PSI for most car tires, 80 for my bike).

Is there any reason a bike pump wouldn't work on a car tire? Obviously the volume of air is higher, so you'll be pumping for a long time, but other than that, is there any reason a bike hand pump can't be used on a car tire?
Interesting question, sponger . . .

More than likely, it is possible but be prepared for lots of pumping because of the volume of air involved in the Automobile Tire.

Personally, I would drop by Costco or Discount Tire (or similar) as they usually check the pressure NO CHARGE!

Good Luck

Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Yes... no reason why it wouldn't work with a quality pump...

My uncle had a fishing boat on a trailer that he let my use. The 15" tires were flat and I used a hand pump to inflate... it took forever on the first one... on the second one, I only put enough air in the tire to drive to the gas station and use their air

Old 06-04-2008, 11:54 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,304 times
You might want to check around to see if you can find a 12v plug in auto tire model.
Since this charging for everything is the wave of the future you could use it again and again.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
Default Wow

Its going to be a very intensive workout for a couple of days depending on how dedicated you are....maybe a month the most..!!!

===========

Quote:

Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,877,461 times
Quote:

Yes, you can pump a car tire with a bike pump. I've done it before. However, you'll have to be prepared to give a good 150 pumps at least for a tire that is only somewhat flat. A totally flat tire would require probably 400 pumps at least... you can figure on not needing your daily trip to the gym after that experience.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Even using those cheap electric pumps takes a very lont time to make any difference. Using a hand tie pump, you won't live long enought to air up a passanger car tire.
You could drive to the station, spend your quarter, fill up the tires, have dinner, take in a movie and still be time ahead of trying it with a hand pump..!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
LOL, thanks! I'm actually just topping off a full tire, thus I don't want to spend the 50c on the gas station pump, (and more truthfully the $1.50 worth of gas to get there or costco, turn the engine off, and turn it back on again)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I'd spend the $12 at Wal-Mart for a "Plug it in the cigarette lighter air pump". I have one in each vehicle. They work great.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Unless you don't have room for it, get a ~1hp "regular" air compressor at Sears or similar. Get one with wheels - you will wonder how you ever got along without it - if you are at all into DIY, that is.

A 12V unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug is also handy to have, more portable, but less versatile than a 110V unit.

But, yeah, been there, done that, the hand pump is more work but will get 'er done eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive