Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,719 times

Advertisements

While I love knowing specs about all of the newest cars and I'm a faithful auto show attendee, I do not know much about the overall mechanics of a car. Which leads me to my question...

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry SE that I was planning on keeping until the wheels fall off. Unfortunately, it seems that may be the case soon. I took my car to my local dealership for an oil change and new windshield wipers a couple of weeks ago. They told me my car was in great shape.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and as I was driving I noticed an odd noise coming from the back of my car. It sounded like it was coming from the right tire. It was almost as if there was a fan blowing from my back seat. I pulled over and went to the gas station. As I was driving, I kept noticing a "click" from each rotation of the tire. I thought I might've punctured the tire, but the tire has full pressure.

I went to my local trusted body shop, about an hour before they closed (I figured they wouldn't be able to look at my car, but this sound made me extremely nervous). I told the mechanic my right tire was making an odd noise, but he proceeded to take a look at the LEFT tire and said I hit a nail, and to go to my local tire shop. I didn't think this was the case, but again, I have no idea what's going on.

I go to the tire shop to have them take a look at my tires. The guy writing my ticket then goes to tell me my tires are in bad shape (mind you, the dealership told me they have great traction and new tires aren't needed for another two years). The tire guy says they're in such bad shape he can't even service them, and then tells me the deals they have on tires. Whatever man!

I did some research when I got home, and the sound seems to be a broken CV joint; however, from what I've seen the CV joint makes a clicking noise when the wheels are turning. Furthermore, the back right tire (the true culprit) is letting off heat when I put my hand near it after I get done driving. I can still hear clicks when I am no longer driving and outside of the car.

Now I'm back home, scared to drive my car because I have no idea what's going on. Is there anyone in this forum that can potentially help me? I'm not planning on getting a car until the end of the year, but I also don't want to keep incurring $500+ repair bills, as that money can be put toward a new car.

I also took a couple of pictures this evening; the first one is of the tire/wheel in question, and the second is another tire/wheel without any issue. It seems that something is scraping the rotor! Could this have happened at the dealership?

Thank you all for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! My car won't stop clicking-fullsizeoutput_4b4a.jpeg   Help! My car won't stop clicking-fullsizeoutput_4b4c.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
While I love knowing specs about all of the newest cars and I'm a faithful auto show attendee, I do not know much about the overall mechanics of a car. Which leads me to my question...

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry SE that I was planning on keeping until the wheels fall off. Unfortunately, it seems that may be the case soon. I took my car to my local dealership for an oil change and new windshield wipers a couple of weeks ago. They told me my car was in great shape.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and as I was driving I noticed an odd noise coming from the back of my car. It sounded like it was coming from the right tire. It was almost as if there was a fan blowing from my back seat. I pulled over and went to the gas station. As I was driving, I kept noticing a "click" from each rotation of the tire. I thought I might've punctured the tire, but the tire has full pressure.

I went to my local trusted body shop, about an hour before they closed (I figured they wouldn't be able to look at my car, but this sound made me extremely nervous). I told the mechanic my right tire was making an odd noise, but he proceeded to take a look at the LEFT tire and said I hit a nail, and to go to my local tire shop. I didn't think this was the case, but again, I have no idea what's going on.

I go to the tire shop to have them take a look at my tires. The guy writing my ticket then goes to tell me my tires are in bad shape (mind you, the dealership told me they have great traction and new tires aren't needed for another two years). The tire guy says they're in such bad shape he can't even service them, and then tells me the deals they have on tires. Whatever man!

I did some research when I got home, and the sound seems to be a broken CV joint; however, from what I've seen the CV joint makes a clicking noise when the wheels are turning. Furthermore, the back right tire (the true culprit) is letting off heat when I put my hand near it after I get done driving. I can still hear clicks when I am no longer driving and outside of the car.

Now I'm back home, scared to drive my car because I have no idea what's going on. Is there anyone in this forum that can potentially help me? I'm not planning on getting a car until the end of the year, but I also don't want to keep incurring $500+ repair bills, as that money can be put toward a new car.

I also took a couple of pictures this evening; the first one is of the tire/wheel in question, and the second is another tire/wheel without any issue. It seems that something is scraping the rotor! Could this have happened at the dealership?

Thank you all for your help!
First of all even if the repair costs 500 bucks it’s far cheaper to repair than to buy another car.

The clicking in the rear could be
Hub assembly/Hub bearing
Emergency/parking brake assembly
Brake pad/rear caliper issue.

Since it’s happening when it’s moving it’s a few things.

1. Possibly your rear brake pad warning sensors are touching the rotors and giving you a warning it’s time to replace them. This sound is more of a squeaking sound not a fan or clicking.

2. Most likely is possibly a bad hubassembly/hub bearing. From the “fan” sound you describe this is the most likely sound that would be made by a bearing that’s going bad.

Your rear axle does not have CV joints. Those are n the fr8nt axle.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
First of all even if the repair costs 500 bucks it’s far cheaper to repair than to buy another car.

Hub assembly/Hub bearing

1. Possibly your rear brake pad warning sensors are touching the rotors and giving you a warning it’s time to replace them. This sound is more of a squeaking sound not a fan or clicking.

2. Most likely is possibly a bad hubassembly/hub bearing. From the “fan” sound you describe this is the most likely sound that would be made by a bearing that’s going bad.

Correct. Neither a body shop nor a tire shop would be expected to have the expertise to diagnose your problem. You need to find a good general mechanic. With a car that’s 15 years old, I would not be at all surprised if the rear axle bearings were shot #2 above). If not replaced, I have seen them get so hot that the wheel catches fire.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:58 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Heat is normal, compare it to the other side and see if its more than the other side. You said it clicks when youre not driving and outside the car, Same clicks, or different clicks. That could just be the cars exhaust cooling off, or is the car running when you hear this not driving? Is a fast click, does it change when you speed up or slow down?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Heat is normal, compare it to the other side and see if its more than the other side. You said it clicks when youre not driving and outside the car, Same clicks, or different clicks. That could just be the cars exhaust cooling off, or is the car running when you hear this not driving? Is a fast click, does it change when you speed up or slow down?
Clicks while moving could also be something really simple like a small rock stuck somewhere bumping around as the wheel rotates (been there done that!). Friction from a stuck brake or dried out failing bearing (also done that!) will produce a lot of heat. Once you park the metal parts cool off...and click. Clicking tends to slow down the cooler it gets.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:30 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Hub assembly/Hub bearing

I get what you're saying about the repair being less than a new car, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm putting more money into the car than what it's worth. After I get this fixed, for example, there's a fairly high chance something else will need to be replaced in the near future. The car is 15+ years old with 200,000+ miles. I don't park in a garage, so Ms. Camry has lived a very long life.

1. I don't think it's the breaks needing to be replaced because they were inspected when I had my oil changed. I just had them replaced ~6 months ago.

2. The fan sound is at high speeds (i.e. driving on the highway). I'll do some research on the bearings. Also, thanks for the info on CV joints. This was very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Correct. Neither a body shop nor a tire shop would be expected to have the expertise to diagnose your problem. You need to find a good general mechanic. With a car that’s 15 years old, I would not be at all surprised if the rear axle bearings were shot #2 above). If not replaced, I have seen them get so hot that the wheel catches fire.
See, now I'm scared to drive my car to the mechanic! Luckily I don't need to drive for work living in the city, but I do need my car for my weekend errands. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Compared to my other three tires, this is the only one letting off heat. It sounds like the same click when I hear the clicks outside and I'm no longer driving. When I'm driving, the clicks sound louder inside the cabin vs me listening when I'm outside of the car. As far as the frequency of clicks, it seems to be one per tire rotation. So the faster I go, the more clicks I hear. When I was driving on the highway and first noticed it, it sounded like a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Clicks while moving could also be something really simple like a small rock stuck somewhere bumping around as the wheel rotates (been there done that!). Friction from a stuck brake or dried out failing bearing (also done that!) will produce a lot of heat. Once you park the metal parts cool off...and click. Clicking tends to slow down the cooler it gets.
So this is 3 for 4. I think there's something wrong with my bearing! The wheel in question definitely looks dried out!

Thank you all so much. I try to sound at least half-educated when I go into the mechanic shop. All your responses were very helpful. Have a nice weekend everyone!

Old 03-01-2019, 06:42 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
GRab the tire at the top and pull and push it back and forth. If it moves, its most likely a bearing.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Whatever it is, it's not terminal.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I get what you're saying about the repair being less than a new car, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm putting more money into the car than what it's worth. After I get this fixed, for example, there's a fairly high chance something else will need to be replaced in the near future. The car is 15+ years old with 200,000+ miles. I don't park in a garage, so Ms. Camry has lived a very long life.

1. I don't think it's the breaks needing to be replaced because they were inspected when I had my oil changed. I just had them replaced ~6 months ago.

2. The fan sound is at high speeds (i.e. driving on the highway). I'll do some research on the bearings. Also, thanks for the info on CV joints. This was very helpful!

See, now I'm scared to drive my car to the mechanic! Luckily I don't need to drive for work living in the city, but I do need my car for my weekend errands. Thank you!

Compared to my other three tires, this is the only one letting off heat. It sounds like the same click when I hear the clicks outside and I'm no longer driving. When I'm driving, the clicks sound louder inside the cabin vs me listening when I'm outside of the car. As far as the frequency of clicks, it seems to be one per tire rotation. So the faster I go, the more clicks I hear. When I was driving on the highway and first noticed it, it sounded like a fan.

So this is 3 for 4. I think there's something wrong with my bearing! The wheel in question definitely looks dried out!

Thank you all so much. I try to sound at least half-educated when I go into the mechanic shop. All your responses were very helpful. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Well maybe it’s time to retire the Camry.

Word of advice. If you do go car shopping and are buy8ng a used car take it to a mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. If the seller isn’t willing to do that walk away

Old 03-02-2019, 05:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The back of a Camry has brakes and wheel bearings that are pretty much the only failure points that could be causing this. I have a gravel driveway. I get gravel between the rotors and calipers occasionally. The wear indicator on the brake pad can do it. Corroded rotors. A stuck caliper. A brake job or replacing a wheel bearing isn’t a costly job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive