Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 12:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times

Advertisements

Best of all - family that recently declared bankruptcy, and lost their inexpensive home to foreclosure. Soon after, hubby shows up in a huge brand new expensive truck! Why? He's rebuilding his credit! Buying this expensive useless vehicle with expensive payments that will stretch on for 7 yrs at a ridiculously high interest rate when he doesn't own a pot to **** in, is a GOOD financial move, because he's rebuilding his credit!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Best of all - family that recently declared bankruptcy, and lost their inexpensive home to foreclosure. Soon after, hubby shows up in a huge brand new expensive truck! Why? He's rebuilding his credit! Buying this expensive useless vehicle with expensive payments that will stretch on for 7 yrs at a ridiculously high interest rate when he doesn't own a pot to **** in, is a GOOD financial move, because he's rebuilding his credit!
Lol. I’ve heard about people doing this exact thing. There are other ways to rebuild credit. But hey I guess fake it till you make works for some

Old 03-02-2019, 01:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
This would be much more feasible had states in the U.S. ever bothered to create an effective public transportation system; which was ignored last century cuz' gas was cheap etc etc.
It takes several buses, and a lot of waiting around in my town to get across it.
In my car it takes only 20 minutes.
The few here without vehicles bike or walk, it's faster.
Honesty most people wouldn’t use public transport even if it was available. Most public transport projects end up as half empty white elephant projects. The only places it works is cities with dense downtowns with really expensive parking and bad traffic. Otherwise it’s just poor people and people with DUI’s using it.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Minus the interest. I can accept paying interest for my house because unlike a car, a house can appreciate. I brought my house in 2010 during the recession and now my house is worth twice as what it was.

A car is never going to appreciate ever. You are never going to get the money back. By paying interest, you are giving up even more.
...and minus lost opportunity costs on that money (which can be significant if you are smart).

Your new Audi is depreciating at several thousand dollars a year whether you drive it or not and you're worried about a fraction of that cost as interest?

Lol

Old 03-02-2019, 02:02 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Honesty most people wouldn’t use public transport even if it was available. Most public transport projects end up as half empty white elephant projects. The only places it works is cities with dense downtowns with really expensive parking and bad traffic. Otherwise it’s just poor people and people with DUI’s using it.
I disagree if people want to work and have a good paying job and have no car they would take public transportation.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:31 PM

4,942 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I disagree if people want to work and have a good paying job and have no car they would take public transportation.

That was me 20 years ago, problem was the public transportation was so bad it took 2 hours to and from work. So that good paying job went to finance a Tundra.
Which even back then was costing me $500/mo.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:32 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
IN 1910 money, that's 'only' $5.50/month.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
A lot of people in nicer communities don’t even want public transportation anywhere near their neighborhoods for that reason.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
This would be much more feasible had states in the U.S. ever bothered to create an effective public transportation system; [but but but it DID]

which was ignored last century cuz' gas was cheap etc etc.[NOPE. It was deliberately destroyed.]
I bet you're from the 'smart' generation that knows .... like

You know there was no such thing as a conspiracy to eliminate America’s once premier electric traction rail network (urban and interurban). How could there be a collusion between special interests and corrupt politicians to saddle Americans like beasts of burden, enriching all the “right” people.
We’re not stupid!

We weren’t fooled into keeping an ‘old fashioned’ mode of transportation, despite it costing 20 times less in fuel compared to pneumatic tire on pavement (20:1 advantage due to rolling resistance). Americans aren’t bamboozled by mere budgetary constraints, nor are they against paving over more and more land so that we can have glorious superhighway convenience, door to door.

Who cares that one track of rail has the equivalent capacity of 9 lanes of superhighway? Or that a 4 track urban subway, like NYC, is the equivalent of 36 lanes of superhighway? And let’s not forget safety issues. We Americans are outraged at a mere hundred deaths per year by ‘police brutality’ while ignoring 40,100 (2017) annual deaths from traffic incidents. In contrast, the tally of passenger deaths via frightful rail travel is often zero in most years. (UK reported zero passenger fatalities in the last 10 years)

Americans do not want a scalable, frugal, efficient, non-polluting, fast, safe and comfortable way to travel in and through our now decaying inner cities, which lack parking space necessary for our national ritual of automobile travel. We don’t want to be free of petroleum imports, nor foreign entanglements necessary to maintain our lifeline of fuel. We prefer sacrificing our precious children and resources in endless unWars.

Americans are too smart to believe in any conspiracy to make them perpetual servants of the automobile / petroleum / pavement hegemony and all their collaborators, cohorts, and minions. That’s almost as bad as believing in a conspiracy to keep housing costs high, while driving more and more people into the streets, homeless.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Addendum-
Taken for a Ride (documentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-I8GDklsN4
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._monorails.php
LA's Worst Transit Decision
In 1963, Alweg proposed to the city of Los Angeles a monorail system that would be designed, built, operated and maintained by Alweg. Alweg promised to take all financial risk from the construction, and the system would be repaid through fares collected. The City Council rejected the proposal in favor of no transit at all. (thanks to Standard Oil)
“A former Alweg engineer once told me that there was much excitement for the proposal at the time, that is until Standard Oil got involved. Practically overnight support for the project disappeared amongst LA politicians.”

The Streetcar Conspiracy
The StreetCar Conspiracy
The Great American Streetcar Scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_City_Lines
We can thank General Motors, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum for their successful destruction of electric traction rail, and the imposition of our dependency on imported petroleum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive