Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we have many intersections here in tucson, and they all work properly. perhaps you need to move here?
Re-read my original post and subsequent replies: Our protected left-turn lane arrows work properly - when I am not in those left lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
try flashing your brights as you approach the intersection
LMAO, thanks for the advice!

Old 03-01-2019, 06:42 PM

388 posts, read 200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
No. I am one of the few drivers around here who knows where to stop at a marked intersection.
god bless you and yours, i didnt know there were any of you left.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:17 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Around here they have a step in the timing that depends on when you arrive at the trigger. If other cars are already at the opposing light (the one you must turn across), the timer give preference to them and goes straight to green. If you get to the protected light however before they get to theirs, then you get the protected green signal. At least around here.

Could also be what you drive. Some smaller vehicles, like motor cycles, don't' seem to always trigger the light.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's a myth.

But do contact the city and have them check the light timing and sensors.
might be a myth but it always works...eventually

I flash mine to the first few bars of Beethoven's Fifth ...Bomp-Bomp-Bomp-Baaaaaaaah!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Around here they have a step in the timing that depends on when you arrive at the trigger. If other cars are already at the opposing light (the one you must turn across), the timer give preference to them and goes straight to green. If you get to the protected light however before they get to theirs, then you get the protected green signal. At least around here.

Could also be what you drive. Some smaller vehicles, like motor cycles, don't' seem to always trigger the light.
Come on! My timing of arrival couldn't possibly be that bad! I feel really awful for the drivers behind me when I'm at the head of the left turn lane, arriving just after the light turned red, and a minute later get full green and no protected arrows!

As for what I drive? 2015 Elantra, before that a 2008 Kia, before that a 2003 Malibu. Pretty plain butter cars as far as I'm concerned, none of them raised or lowered, all stock. So what I drive couldn't be the issue.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:45 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Come on! My timing of arrival couldn't possibly be that bad! I feel really awful for the drivers behind me when I'm at the head of the left turn lane, arriving just after the light turned red, and a minute later get full green and no protected arrows!

As for what I drive? 2015 Elantra, before that a 2008 Kia, before that a 2003 Malibu. Pretty plain butter cars as far as I'm concerned, none of them raised or lowered, all stock. So what I drive couldn't be the issue.
Just pointing out what we have around here. Another alternative might be survivorship bias.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just pointing out what we have around here. Another alternative might be survivorship bias.
"survivorship bias"

What in the Sam Hill is that?! English, son!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
We have them at one intersection where the turn only arrow only goes on every other cycle for one of the lefts. Going east, that's the turn arrow that skips - deliberately. Going west,it's every cycle, as it is for north and south. However, the south green turn is shorter than the north green turn arrow so it's not uncommon to see folks heading south jump the green after the turn arrow is off - that sets off the cameras to send them a ticket. It has to do with traffic patterns. Fewest number of vehicles turn north and the next is the south to east. So it makes sense once you figure it out.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Just stay in the far right lanes. Right turn on red no waiting. Three rights equal a left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive