Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Don’t have to worry since most sedans are going away and the ones that remain are the muscle car ones or the luxury ones so no low profile tires.

Are you kidding? Have you seen the base wheels on a CTX or MK Lincoln sedan? At least 18" 50-series!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 02:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest:

In the comment section of this article:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/...re-size-213549

Many drivers actually want to minus-size the tire & wheel combos on their late-model cars, citing harsh ride and jittery handling associated with factory 19" & up wagon wheels!
I actually think the 22" wheels offered on the latest round of light-duty pickup trucks look pretty sharp! BUT... they have to be OEM. The aftermarket designs are too gaudy for my taste.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Bigger wheels are on cars due to the increase brake size they have now.

As for looks, low profile only looks good on certain cars and that is it, my opinion of course. I am tlaking the sport cars, cars set up for track racing. Tossing low profiles on a F-150 or Camry looks ridiculous. The new Escalades for example look ridiculous.
When speaking of necessity only, yes. Unless you're planning on exceeding posted speeds, a 15" rotor (and thus a 19-20" wheel) is overkill for a passenger car, unless those enhanced driving dynamics are specifically requirements of yours. Which happens. Some people want extra crisp braking and short stop distances. 20" wheels aren't bad on a truck where there's room for more sidewall, when the tires are commonly at least 31" diameter, though.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"...since most sedans are going away..."
love it. cheaper prices on used Hondas.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"...since most sedans are going away..."
love it. cheaper prices on used Hondas.
My next car or utility will likely be the same year or older than my current one.

I want three basic things: Decent handling, a moonroof, and a stereo that plays CDs and has a jack for playing music off a phone. Typical expectations of ten years ago!

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 03-02-2019 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 04:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Have you seen the base wheels on a CTX or MK Lincoln sedan? At least 18" 50-series!
My mom's CTS has 17's.
Just put a set if Nankang SV-2 SummerSnows on it. Her car is absolute base, zero option RWD.
They were cheap, the weather has been crap, they're working fine and they don't have to be swapped when it gets warm.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My mom's CTS has 17's.
Just put a set if Nankang SV-2 SummerSnows on it. Her car is absolute base, zero option RWD.
They were cheap, the weather has been crap, they're working fine and they don't have to be swapped when it gets warm.
17" is monstrous to this old codger! I'm from the era when you could have any wheel on your car, as long as it was 14-15", and 6.5" wide. Easy driving, no constant corrections going down a highway at 70.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
17" is monstrous to this old codger! I'm from the era when you could have any wheel on your car, as long as it was 14-15", and 6.5" wide. Easy driving, no constant corrections going down a highway at 70.
17's ride nice. I value ride quality and they're quite good.
Put 20's on the same car and it will ride like $%^#$.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I have the opposite view and think ballon tires (on cars) looks ridiculous. Part of the reason I chose the trim level of my car was due to the 19" wheels and 255/45/19 tires. The base model 17" wheels make the car look like a cartoon car rolling down the road on exaggerated balloon wheels.

I have no complaints on the ride quality and performance of the wheels.

Not a fan of low-pro tires on trucks though. I think trucks need tires capable of off-road use...even if 99% of them never leave the payment. But, i'm not the one buying these vehicles so my opinion on it doesn't matter.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have the opposite view and think ballon tires (on cars) looks ridiculous. Part of the reason I chose the trim level of my car was due to the 19" wheels and 255/45/19 tires. The base model 17" wheels make the car look like a cartoon car rolling down the road on exaggerated balloon wheels.

I have no complaints on the ride quality and performance of the wheels.

Not a fan of low-pro tires on trucks though. I think trucks need tires capable of off-road use...even if 99% of them never leave the payment. But, i'm not the one buying these vehicles so my opinion on it doesn't matter.
"I have the opposite view and think ballon
tires (on cars) looks ridiculous. Part of the reason
I chose the trim level of my car was due to the
19" wheels and 255/45/19 tires. The base model
17" wheels make the car look like a cartoon car
rolling down the road on exaggerated balloon
wheels
."

Then you would never be satisfied if you were old enough to drive and buy a car 40-45 years ago! Those awful 75-series "balloon" tires on every bread-winning Malibu, LTD, or Corolla back then would have given you a coronary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive