Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And if you want to live in the past then you better get a DeLorean car and make it into a time machine and go back in time or just keep on patching up your older 1970’s vehicles, because the automotive industry is all about innovation like it or not. Either get on board or be left behind vehicles today are far more superior than those of the past. Yes i liked my old 1964 Dodge it was fun back in the day but i really love my 2019 Nissan Rouge way more advanced and reliable than my old 1964 Dodge. Like the other poster stated would you like medicine to go back to the way it was or do you want the latest and greatest when it comes to you if you got really sick, me i want a doctor who’s up to date on all the latest advancements in medicine, instead of the old doctor who did house calls.
I don't know why you are arguing with people who don't need all the fancy bells and whistles. You like them and that's great - for YOU.

Not everyone wants cruise or power windows. ABS brakes feel like crap in snow with studs. Power window switches do break and with the current 4 door trend, that's 4 regulators and switches you need to worry about. Not everyone is so lazy that they can't crank a window up or down. Lift gates and sliding doors that open and close when you wave at them? Come on. All this junk adds to the price of a car. We bought a Ranger a few years ago specifically because it was a stripped down version and there is nothing we do with it that would be made better by getting a new one. As a matter of fact, I think the new ones have shorter beds which would be a hinderance for us.

I worked for a dealer and have driven many a car with a dash screen. It's distracting and hard to find what you need. I don't want stuff flashing in my peripheral vision when I'm driving. When I bought a deck for one of my cars, I made sure I got one with buttons that I can feel. While Car Play may be "cool" to use with my iPhone, I didn't need it and saved at least $100 by not buying it.

I have to laugh at your doctor analogy. That may be true in some cases. But "back in the day" doctors really listened to you and for some conditions, they treated you based on your symptoms. Now with our "great advancements", most doctors are hung up with lab results which don't tell the entire story. "But doctor, I feel horrible. I've gained 30 pounds, I can't get out of bed in the morning and need a nap every day at 1pm". Doctor says "Well your labs are in range, it must be all in your head." Don't believe me? Go check out forums with people who deal with Lyme or thyroid conditions.

Stop making people feel like they belong in the dark ages just because they don't need the "latest and greatest". Nothing could be further from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
I like the tech to an extent.

Electronic engine management (not cylinder shut off or direct injection), ABS, traction control, TPS, power windows and seats are fine.
The rest, like any form of infotainment or extra drivers aids, I don't need.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I don't know why you are arguing with people who don't need all the fancy bells and whistles. You like them and that's great - for YOU.

Not everyone wants cruise or power windows. ABS brakes feel like crap in snow with studs. Power window switches do break and with the current 4 door trend, that's 4 regulators and switches you need to worry about. Not everyone is so lazy that they can't crank a window up or down. Lift gates and sliding doors that open and close when you wave at them? Come on. All this junk adds to the price of a car. We bought a Ranger a few years ago specifically because it was a stripped down version and there is nothing we do with it that would be made better by getting a new one. As a matter of fact, I think the new ones have shorter beds which would be a hinderance for us.

I worked for a dealer and have driven many a car with a dash screen. It's distracting and hard to find what you need. I don't want stuff flashing in my peripheral vision when I'm driving. When I bought a deck for one of my cars, I made sure I got one with buttons that I can feel. While Car Play may be "cool" to use with my iPhone, I didn't need it and saved at least $100 by not buying it.

I have to laugh at your doctor analogy. That may be true in some cases. But "back in the day" doctors really listened to you and for some conditions, they treated you based on your symptoms. Now with our "great advancements", most doctors are hung up with lab results which don't tell the entire story. "But doctor, I feel horrible. I've gained 30 pounds, I can't get out of bed in the morning and need a nap every day at 1pm". Doctor says "Well your labs are in range, it must be all in your head." Don't believe me? Go check out forums with people who deal with Lyme or thyroid conditions.

Stop making people feel like they belong in the dark ages just because they don't need the "latest and greatest". Nothing could be further from the truth.
Sorry but people have to move forward this is how the world works if they can’t adapt then they are going to be left in the rear view mirror. If they can’t work figure out a newer vehicle how do the operate their new household appliances or home electronics.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:30 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
I can take it or leave it.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:

How old are you? It's one thing to take issue with new things like lane assist or emergency braking. However, regular cruise control and even power windows and ABS brakes have been around for decades.

Are you really advocating for crank windows or brakes that lock up? You know that horse has left the barn, right?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:57 AM

732 posts, read 391,034 times
Quote:
I agree.

The strawman is always "if you don't want voice activated A/C you must want to own a 1964 Dodge Dart".

At this point, I'd say that most advances in automobiles haven't added much at the margin as of late. The last little bit of fuel economy has resulted in a bunch of complexity and those touch screen systems simply aren't going to hold up either physically or technically. The difference in usability between a 1960 car and a 1970 car is much greater than 2008 vs 2018. Really, you could always expect that from a rapidly maturing technology.

Maybe the logical last non-robot car will be one run from a cell phone. Tilt to steer, swipe to brake. And I'll be a Luddite for not wanting to use it.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Personally, I like the various electronic engine management systems. Emissions control systems finally seem to be civilized (in contrast to the awful systems of the 70s and early 80s.)

I also like modern safety features: collision mitigation, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control and the like, mostly because I'm getting older and hence my personal reaction times are not as fast as they were when I was 20 years old.

I dislike all the voice-activated features. If I say, "Set air conditioning to max cool" I get stupid responses like "Today's date is March 10, 2019" or "Tune XM Radio to Channel 112." I also dislike menu trees on touch screens where I need to go through 4 or 5 menu levels to get to a control for, say, heated seats.

Moreover, I just don't get the need for cell phone text messages to be read to me while I'm in the car. I think the car should BLOCK access to text messages. Neither do I get the WiFi hot spot feature in some cars. And yes, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 03-10-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 10:34 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Sorry but people have to move forward this is how the world works if they can’t adapt then they are going to be left in the rear view mirror. If they can’t work figure out a newer vehicle how do the operate their new household appliances or home electronics.
That was discussed way up thread. There are still companies making simple appliances that actually work well. Speed Queen is one of them. Does anyone really NEED wifi washing machines?

I have no issue with there being choices. What I do have issue with is that it's so hard to find simple products these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How old are you? It's one thing to take issue with new things like lane assist or emergency braking. However, regular cruise control and even power windows and ABS brakes have been around for decades.

Are you really advocating for crank windows or brakes that lock up? You know that horse has left the barn, right?
I can't remember the last time I locked up non-ABS brakes. Perhaps when I used to race on the track, but those aren't every day conditions. Many "advancements" have just made lazy people who don't understand how to drive. I fear the next 10 years.

I happen to love cruise control although I went 15 years without it. There is another thread on here about features you never use in a car, and many people do not like or use cruise.

But power windows? One of my cars has them. Convenient? Sure. Necessary? Absolutely not. And I prefer fresh air and don't park my daily driver in a garage, so trust me, windows go up and down often in my car - be it crank or power.

My desired feature list in a car is:
2 doors
Hatchback
Standard
Rear defrost (wiper not needed depending on the angle of the rear window)
Cloth seats (rear ones must lie flat so I can carry stuff or sleep in it)
Stereo needs to hook up to my phone somehow for music and GPS
Heat

Bonus:
Sunroof
Cruise control
Remote control mirrors (power or cable, doesn't matter)

Heated rearview mirrors came in handy a couple of times but again not a necessity.

What does a car really need to do? Get you from Point A to B in one piece. All of mine do that without fancy screens and camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I agree.

The strawman is always "if you don't want voice activated A/C you must want to own a 1964 Dodge Dart".

At this point, I'd say that most advances in automobiles haven't added much at the margin as of late. The last little bit of fuel economy has resulted in a bunch of complexity and those touch screen systems simply aren't going to hold up either physically or technically. The difference in usability between a 1960 car and a 1970 car is much greater than 2008 vs 2018. Really, you could always expect that from a rapidly maturing technology.

Maybe the logical last non-robot car will be one run from a cell phone. Tilt to steer, swipe to brake. And I'll be a Luddite for not wanting to use it.
I will be a Luddite with you One thing that has suffered in the quest for a couple of MPG - an actual couple - is mirror size. The mirrors on my 2004 car are not as tall as the ones on my 1986 car. So I can adjust them to back up, or adjust them to see highway lanes. Not both. That's a safety issue to me. Box trucks have suffered the same fate in recent years.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:44 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Does anyone really NEED wifi washing machines?
Economics teaches us that there are no such thing as needs -- only wants and desires, which are in aggregate unlimited, and resources, which are limited. It is all about allocating scarce resources in a world of unlimited wants and desires.

Quote:
I have no issue with there being choices. What I do have issue with is that it's so hard to find simple products these days.
You and me both.

Quote:

I can't remember the last time I locked up non-ABS brakes. Perhaps when I used to race on the track, but those aren't every day conditions. Many "advancements" have just made lazy people who don't understand how to drive. I fear the next 10 years.
I agree. Typical 18 year olds just don't understand F=MA, nor do they understand why that is important when operating a vehicle.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I agree.

Isn't the denial of reality the real issue? Crank windows or non-ABS brakes aren't coming back. The sooner folks accept reality, the better.

If people want to avoid new stuff in newer cars, just get the lowest trim levels. Most is still optional. Base models still exist...of course, with power windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive