Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 03:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
We can all wish to go back in time but the automakers are not going back in time take what the make or keep fixing you old vehicle till it can’t be repaired no more and cost more to repair than it’s worth. Those are your choices all the complaining is not going to persuade a automaker to go back in time to make what they use to.
I appreciate your honesty. Not sure I was complaining to the level of contacting the manufacturer or auto company to make a seen. Somethings No matter how revised for the sake of technology aren't necessary...one need not reinvent the wheel so to speak.

As iterated, when the ignition works...it does its start up. When more parts are needed it does "delay" starting the car. Pretty sure most can render a bit of Head nodding that it does impede an otherwise simple task ....
Luckily there are actually more choices then the either /or.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I want a carburetor and an HEI distributor. If something goes wrong I can actually fix it. With basic tools.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
iPad type screens are a fad, not a bureaucratic mandate. My wife's 2018 Subaru has the screen in the center stack. Same with the 2019 models. Personally, I hate the iPad screens. They look ugly and as if they were an afterthought.
Touch screens a Fad? I don’t think so, there’re here to stay, on autos, appliances and even on tools and heavy equipment.

Knobs and toggle switches all gone by the wayside for touch (sensor) and now voice control!

And iPads have virtually shelfed laptops, mines now collecting dust in a closet. It’s all about function and practically❗️

Old 03-12-2019, 06:50 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Touch screens a Fad? I don’t think so, there’re here to stay, on autos, appliances and even on tools and heavy equipment.

Knobs and toggle switches all gone by the wayside for touch (sensor) and now voice control!

And iPads have virtually shelfed laptops, mines now collecting dust in a closet. It’s all about function and practically❗️
To me it's not all or nothing with physical buttons. If you ONLY have physical buttons, you can't accommodate much functionality under user control - it takes up too much space and gets too confusing. On the other hand, if you ONLY have a bare touch screen and no knobs or buttons, then frequently accessed controls can be irritating to access through layers of menus. The best interfaces will have default info displayed that's the most important and frequently needed, and physical controls for those controls that are the most important and frequently accessed - like volume and tuning on a radio and temperature, fan speed and mode for climate control for example, and then you still use a touch screen with hierarchical groups of controls for things that are useful but less frequently accessed.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

I was using the terminology of the poster I was responding to. An iPad screen in a car is one that sticks up out of the dash, as opposed to being located in the center stack. Mazda uses them and I've also seen them in the Kia Stinger. Too me they look like an afterthought. And I don't like them.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was using the terminology of the poster I was responding to. An iPad screen in a car is one that sticks up out of the dash, as opposed to being located in the center stack. Mazda uses them and I've also seen them in the Kia Stinger. Too me they look like an afterthought. And I don't like them.

Most manufactures are going to stand up screens, up high on the dash, for the reason I mentioned. The cameras are mandatory now in the US. Even the Bentley motorized screen will not meet the regs for instantly being useable when reversing, though I love how it vanishes completely when not in use.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:21 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Most manufactures are going to stand up screens, up high on the dash, for the reason I mentioned. The cameras are mandatory now in the US. Even the Bentley motorized screen will not meet the regs for instantly being useable when reversing, though I love how it vanishes completely when not in use.

I'm not a fan of the stand up/ tablet screens either or having the hvac controls completely integrated into the screen. How does the screen sitting on top of the dash help you out compared to an ever so slight glance down to the back up camera in an in-dash stereo. I just think it's lazy design/fad to make cars seem more futuristic. I'm saying this as millennial for what it's worth.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
To me it's not all or nothing with physical buttons. If you ONLY have physical buttons, you can't accommodate much functionality under user control - it takes up too much space and gets too confusing. On the other hand, if you ONLY have a bare touch screen and no knobs or buttons, then frequently accessed controls can be irritating to access through layers of menus. The best interfaces will have default info displayed that's the most important and frequently needed, and physical controls for those controls that are the most important and frequently accessed - like volume and tuning on a radio and temperature, fan speed and mode for climate control for example, and then you still use a touch screen with hierarchical groups of controls for things that are useful but less frequently accessed.
That's a common practice on products that require realtime usage and have more features than buttons. You'll also see hybrids like knobs, joysticks, buttons that are permanently delegated to the flat panel.

There's other solutions besides flat panels. One is buttons with built in displays.

I do think that it's unfortunate that the rear back-up thingie has resulted in a cascade of features being moved to a dash display. You not only end up with too many other features moving there in order to achieve cost reduction (or some aesthetic decision), but you have a single point of failure.

I think I'd be more favorably disposed to this stuff if the parts were more interchangeable. Tracking down cabin computer items in a decade is going to be something of a pain.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM

299 posts, read 556,596 times
Considering I bought a used 2014 Tesla - I think that tells you where I stand?

I'm a car enthusiast, but I also feel like technology needs to keep moving forward; not stagnating just because people don't want to deal with change.

The auto-makers have always frustrated me in the past because they brag about how high-tech they are, while vastly over-charging for relatively small and easy to implement gadgets that really aren't all that high-tech anyway. They still put notoriously poor quality stereos in and call them "high end sound". They try to do voice commands and usually use decade-old tech that makes it only understand a few key words, and only 50% of the time you speak the commands. Awful.

I will say, I dislike some of the attempts to change up where basic controls are or how they function. This stuff Chrysler tried with making the shift lever into a dial, for example? Nah.... You want to be able to get in and drive a car or truck with the assumption you already know what the basic pedals, wheels and levers do. But that really has nothing to do with improved technology in them.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:06 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
"A long-awaited suspicion has been confirmed. Thanks to a study organized by the American Automobile Association (AAA)’s Foundation for Traffic Safety and the University of Utah, we can officially say that in-vehicle tech features in newer cars are widely contributing to the distracted-driving epidemic"

https://thenewswheel.com/study-from-...y-distracting/

Last edited by StrawberrySoup; 03-12-2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: add quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive