Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!
just recently I had four new tires replaced at Peerless Tires on my 1996 Chevy Beretta right after having been replaced my car started shaking after going a certain miles per hour and when I went to go turn around I felt something rub on the right front tire as I'm pulling out of the store my brake feels weird starts to go all the way down to the ground next sing you know my car is going from left to right all over the street when I tried to break felt like I only had one breath on the left side get home look at me the car and yes the right front wheel is filled with brake fluid I call the tire place and they say that there's no way that they could have done it there mechanic or their equipment but the manager literally was at my house in less than 10 minutes he had to have hung up the phone and came straight here is it their fault the brake line is broke right by the wheel I just feel that if there was no way that they could have done this then why did he leave his place of business and come straight to look at my car feel like I am being taken advantage of because I am a female

Last edited by Lorenzoyve; 03-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Add more in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 03:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
its most likely a coincidence that the line failed after the tires were put on. not knowing where you live, i cannot speculate on what the problem is though. its possible that the line rusted through, finally broke, and rubbed against the wheel after breaking.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzoyve View Post
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!
just recently I had four new tires replaced at Peerless Tires on my 1996 Chevy Beretta right after having been replaced my car started shaking after going a certain miles per hour and when I went to go turn around I felt something rub on the right front tire as I'm pulling out of the store my brake feels weird starts to go all the way down to the ground next sing you know my car is going from left to right all over the street when I tried to break felt like I only had one breath on the left side get home look at me the car and yes the right front wheel is filled with brake fluid I call the tire place and they say that there's no way that they could have done it there mechanic or their equipment but the manager literally was at my house in less than 10 minutes he had to have hung up the phone and came straight here is it their fault the brake line is broke right by the wheel I just feel that if there was no way that they could have done this then why did he leave his place of business and come straight to look at my car feel like I am being taken advantage of because I am a female
Hard to tell. I don't like the part where you felt a shaking. If a wheel wasn't tightened properly it may do that, and the rapid shaking might break an already weak (from age) brake line.
If I were the manager, I would have come right over, too.
But if I were you I would ask them to fix it for me and using your 'girl skills' try to get them to do it for free, too. Failing that, I would just pay and go about the business of running the rest of my life.
23 year old cars develop problems.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Jesus you must have the last Chevy Beretta made.

The shaking...... if they left wheel lug nuts loose that could take out your brake line from the excessive wobble. There isn’t a ton of clearance on the backside of the wheel/caliper. In some cases there is less than 1/2 clearance. Look at the brake line. Does it look damaged in ANY way? If it’s rusted through that’s just wear and tear but if it’s ripped gouged torn flattened that could be from the wheel being loose and catching the line when the vehicle was rolling and damaging it.

We’re all your lugnuts ON the studs? Any missing? There should be 5 threaded studs and each stud should have a hex shaped nut threaded on holding the wheel and tire. They should be uniformly tightened. Do the holes from the wheel look gouged? Do the studs look like someone put them in a blender? Shiny fresh gouges showing bright silver metal. Any studs sheared off or broken? Can you post pics

Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
OP, when is the last time you had your brakes serviced? It's possible the line wore out over time. That's an old car, if the fluid hasn't been flushed regularly, it can become acidic and over time eat through the line.
If you live somewhere they use salt on the roads in the winter, it could cause rust to weaken the line too. If they were weakened, then the shaking of the tire could have broke them. It's hard to say without seeing the lines.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:46 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its most likely a coincidence that the line failed after the tires were put on. not knowing where you live, i cannot speculate on what the problem is though. its possible that the line rusted through, finally broke, and rubbed against the wheel after breaking.
Or perhaps the mechanic let the caliper dangle/drop by that 23 year old rubber brake hose.?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Or perhaps the mechanic let the caliper dangle/drop by that 23 year old rubber brake hose.?
While simply changing a tire?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,327 times
I think that's the longest sentence and the least punctuation I've ever seen

Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Well, there probably are a few longer run-ons lurking around on C-D but this one is impressive!

OP you are driving a 22 year old car. Unless you've had the brake lines replaced they are 22 years old too. Nothing lasts forever.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
While simply changing a tire?
Oops.. my bad I was thinking brake job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive