Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,452,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Oh, and here is your passenger version. Anyone with a drivers license can own it, you don't need a CDL for this.
You need a CDL if a truck has air brakes. You do not want a truck that size without air brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,943,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You need a CDL if a truck has air brakes. You do not want a truck that size without air brakes.
You don't need a CDL if a truck has air brakes. That is a myth.....I think it may have been that way years ago but not anymore.

No CDL is required for vehicle under 26,001 GVWR unless it is a passenger vehicle carrying capable of carrying 15 or more passengers and the driver or a vehicle carrying hazardous materials that require a placard regardless of braking system. Larger RVs have air brakes and no CDL is required if used for personal use.

You can get hydraulic brakes in that truck, too, but I agree you wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited by iamweasel; 05-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: t

Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,645,727 times
Quote:
Here you go:

https://demanddetroit.com/engines/dd5/

This engine has smaller physical dimensions than the Cummins B6.7 used in Ram pickups so there is no reason something like this can't be used in a light duty pickup. (Like an F-150 or F-250, for instance.)

This is just an example of what 4-cylinder motors are capable of. This engine is rated to last nearly twice as long as the Cummins B6.7 which is an inline-6. (DD5 = 450K life and B7.6 - 250K life.) The B6.7 is available in several vehicles but in the Freightliner medium duty trucks you can choose the B6.7 or the DD5.

My whole point here is you can't judge an engine based on the number of cylinders alone. There is more to engine design than just that. Anyone who says "I'll never buy a 4 cylinder" is just short-sighted....sometimes the 4-cylinder option is better than the V6.
Guess your idea of a passenger car or truck is vastly different than most people. I’m talking regular trucks not a FL70. A vehicle I can go buy today meaning at a normal car dealer not heavy line delivery truck.

Quote:
Oh, and here is your passenger version. Anyone with a drivers license can own it, you don't need a CDL for this.
Yeah I’m gonna drive that to work. Parking should be a breeze too

Old 05-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Guess your idea of a passenger car or truck is vastly different than most people. I’m talking regular trucks not a FL70. A vehicle I can go buy today meaning at a normal car dealer not heavy line delivery truck.

Yeah I’m gonna drive that to work. Parking should be a breeze too
You are missing the point. Any OEM can develop an engine just like that for light duty pickups. They use the Cummins motors in passenger vehicles and that DD5 engine, or one like it, can be used as well. With the aggressive fuel economy targets on the horizon don’t be surprised to see Ford or GM offer something like this 4 cylinder diesel in their trucks at some point.

So it *CAN* be done......that was my point.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM

It just seems there's some heavy sandbagging in the US market after seeing "what's possible" in terms of internal combustion efficiency in EU. Lots of what manufacturers just REFUSE to implement.

- More small diesels (we're getting there)
- More diesel-hybrids (we have NONE at the moment)
- V8 turbo diesels in performance sedans like the European Mercedes-Benz E 420 CDI

Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It just seems there's some heavy sandbagging in the US market after seeing "what's possible" in terms of internal combustion efficiency in EU. Lots of what manufacturers just REFUSE to implement.

- More small diesels (we're getting there)
- More diesel-hybrids (we have NONE at the moment)
- V8 turbo diesels in performance sedans like the European Mercedes-Benz E 420 CDI
Diesels are just harder for the manufacturer's to deal with now given they cost so much more than gas now. (Due to all the emissions equipment on them. DPF, SCR, etc.)

Plus, trying to package all that emissions equipment into the vehicles was a major, major issue. You darn near have to design a gas and diesel version of a given product as opposed to making just one version and swapping-out what's under the hood.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM

603 posts, read 445,864 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. Any OEM can develop an engine just like that for light duty pickups. They use the Cummins motors in passenger vehicles and that DD5 engine, or one like it, can be used as well. With the aggressive fuel economy targets on the horizon don’t be surprised to see Ford or GM offer something like this 4 cylinder diesel in their trucks at some point.

So it *CAN* be done......that was my point.
Well RAM are using a 6.7 litre Cummins in their heavy duty trucks, that one has 6 cylinders but it’s got over 400hp and 1000 lb-ft of Torque I don’t see why a similar design couldn’t use 4 cylinders in the future.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Diesels are just harder for the manufacturer's to deal with now given they cost so much more than gas now. (Due to all the emissions equipment on them. DPF, SCR, etc.)

Plus, trying to package all that emissions equipment into the vehicles was a major, major issue. You darn near have to design a gas and diesel version of a given product as opposed to making just one version and swapping-out what's under the hood.
Seeing what a $10k option does for the resale of a heavy duty truck in the US, 10 years and 200k miles later, AS WELL AS creating a good case to continue to buy new models with that option, I'd be a betting man that shipping some of the left-hand-drive units from the EU to the US would generate some extra sales.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM

763 posts, read 381,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The 1.8 and 2.0L turbos they used in Audis since the late 1990's were fantastic engines. Europeans and Japanese know how to make small engines. The Big 3? Not so much.

GM has never built a pleasant 4 cylinder.
The 2.0L turbo that is in the Cadillac ATS is a great engine. It’s very smooth and has great low end torque. It is nice to not have to get the RPM’s higher than 3,000 RPM when going up a steep hill (like you would with a NA engine).

The ATS does 0-60 in around 5.6 seconds. The V-6 option has less torque than the 2.0T, despite being a bigger engine. So I very much disagree with you on this point.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
The 2.0L turbo that is in the Cadillac ATS is a great engine. It’s very smooth and has great low end torque. It is nice to not have to get the RPM’s higher than 3,000 RPM when going up a steep hill (like you would with a NA engine).

The ATS does 0-60 in around 5.6 seconds. The V-6 option has less torque than the 2.0T, despite being a bigger engine. So I very much disagree with you on this point.
We’ll see how well it holds up. GM has never been great at making smaller engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive