Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer
Lower volume 2 15.38%
Mute volume 0 0%
Alert sound 1 7.69%
Option to choose one of three 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110221610A1/en

This is one example of an idea whose time has come. Today’s factory and aftermarket stereos are louder than ever and today’s vehicles are more sound insulated than ever. Those two things combine to make it virtually impossible to hear emergency vehicle sirens when listening to loud music. The most common devices being tested would sense the siren and either turn down the volume of the stereo, mute the stereo, or sound an alert type sound over the music. I’d question if a radio broadcast siren sound would fake out the sensor or is the sensor an external microphone?

If something like this is put into mass production which would you prefer; turn down volume, mute volume, sound an alert, or the option to select one of the three allowing the vehicle owner to select for themselves. I’ll create a poll after this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
I initially said mute volume, but.. Think of a situation where you're driving to get out of the way of a tornado or similar, and you're listening to the radio for instructions while fire, police and rescue vehicles are all around you.

So, I think it has to be an option of what to do.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I'd prefer better risk avoidance training to instill some sense into the driver instead. Self-determination and all that. Not another mommy-state electronic system that can and will fail. If you can't hear what's going on outside your car at all, there's a problem. What about NOT designing the car to be so insulated? It can still be built to muffle road noise. Emergency response sirens aren't the only potentially hazardous things you need to stay aware of while operating a car. Still, no matter what "safety" features a car designer creates, it's owner can usually find a dumb way to disable it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-14-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 04:42 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
I say we just make cars that turn off as soon as EV is maybe 200 ft away. Let's make it 400, just for the sake of the children.

Also, I'd like to have a gizmo that points siren direction. Way too many times I am creeping into intersection without being able to tell, where the heck that noise is coming from. City muffles direction easily.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:44 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
It's not like We, The People, are going to have a voice.
The NTSB will make a decision and that's the way it'll be.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,080 times
I regularly check my mirrors, so I know when an emergency vehicle is approaching and pull over well ahead of them trying to overtake me. I often witness other idiots pass me like I pulled off to the right and stopped for fun... I will blow the horn and they just keep on going like I was giving them a friendly "hello".

I don't anything will get through those folks thick skulls.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110221610A1/en

This is one example of an idea whose time has come. Today’s factory and aftermarket stereos are louder than ever and today’s vehicles are more sound insulated than ever. Those two things combine to make it virtually impossible to hear emergency vehicle sirens when listening to loud music. The most common devices being tested would sense the siren and either turn down the volume of the stereo, mute the stereo, or sound an alert type sound over the music. I’d question if a radio broadcast siren sound would fake out the sensor or is the sensor an external microphone?

If something like this is put into mass production which would you prefer; turn down volume, mute volume, sound an alert, or the option to select one of the three allowing the vehicle owner to select for themselves. I’ll create a poll after this post.
None of the above. I don't want any of the options. 98% of the time I see the flashing lights before I hear the sirens. The other 2% of the time I will see the flashing lights in time to yield. I don't need to hear the sirens at all. Sirens are just unnecessary noise.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I say we just make cars that turn off as soon as EV is maybe 200 ft away. Let's make it 400, just for the sake of the children.

Also, I'd like to have a gizmo that points siren direction. Way too many times I am creeping into intersection without being able to tell, where the heck that noise is coming from. City muffles direction easily.
So in heavy traffic all of the cars on the road will be disabled? How will the EV get through if all the lanes are blocked with disabled cars?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:29 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
You could have sirens simulcast on a broadcast frequency, with all cars equipped to override the sound system. The louder you turn you speakers, the louder the siren becomes in your car..

Old 05-15-2019, 03:29 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So in heavy traffic all of the cars on the road will be disabled? How will the EV get through if all the lanes are blocked with disabled cars?

That was my first thought, as well.

As if EV operators don't already have it bad enough trying to navigate through inattentive idiots who refuse to pull over when an EV is approaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive