Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

With more electric cars hitting the open road do you think the quick charging ports should be standardized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
It's definitely coming. That partnership between GM and Bechtel, and similar initiatives, will drive the model.

The idea of each make having a proprietary plug or system is shortly to be as obsolete as having to buy pre-formatted floppies for your HP computer (truth).

But, of course, some maker(s) will pull an Apple and use a nonstandard system that their owners adore because it keeps them from filling up with that, you know, second-rate electricity that might ruin their wiring.

While everyone else adopts, say, the GM plug and then whines forever about how technically substandard it is.

Ploo sah shanj, and all that.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
It probably should, but as long as there are still adapters, it’ll still work out okay.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,233,517 times
I would be in favor of such a thing, but I scratch my head about why we have metric/SAE/proprietary fasteners and various wheel bolt/stud patterns, wishing those were standard too.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Outside of Tesla, they are.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It probably should, but as long as there are still adapters, it’ll still work out okay.
I suspect adapters will work about as well as they do for other things - which is not a wholly approving viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I would be in favor of such a thing, but I scratch my head about why we have metric/SAE/proprietary fasteners and various wheel bolt/stud patterns, wishing those were standard too.
SAE-spec is slowly fading from the market; it's the US vs the world. What drove me crazy was the era of mixed-source cars, where any given nut could be either standard.

When it comes to wheels etc. there are many more aspects than bolt pattern to consider, and some makers use different patterns to keep stupid owners from putting incompatible wheels on a vehicle - wrong offset, clearance, etc. But it's also related to weight class and strength; no need for a five-bolt hub on lighter cars, no point in putting weaker attachments on larger vehicles.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
It does not make business sense - unless ALL electric cars manufacturers will belong to one entity. Say, GM invests into the new chargers network. Why would it support Tesla by making it standard?

But I think, rather quickly it will go to inductive charging anyway. Whatever kills crowds faster will be implemented very quickly.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It does not make business sense - unless ALL electric cars manufacturers will belong to one entity. Say, GM invests into the new chargers network. Why would it support Tesla by making it standard?
You've just described why the 50 or so first-gen PC clones were completely incompatible with each other... because of trivial BIOS and OS settings. Everyone was going to be bestest and take home all the marbles. (Bet you can't list five of those brands/makers. )

Quote:
But I think, rather quickly it will go to inductive charging anyway.
Inductive charging is extremely inefficient and only works for small items like toothbrushes and cel phones.

It would be a massive power waster at auto-charging levels.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

But I think, rather quickly it will go to inductive charging anyway. Whatever kills crowds faster will be implemented very quickly.
It does make sense. All ICE run on the same gas, can all pull up to the same pumps and get gas, or diesel and be on their way. There's no reason manufacturers can't come up with the same plug requirements all around.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
It does make sense. All ICE run on the same gas, can all pull up to the same pumps and get gas, or diesel and be on their way. There's no reason manufacturers can't come up with the same plug requirements all around.
All but one has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive