Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,778,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
All but one has.
I will say that's been a slow, quiet evolution. My last data was that varying connectors and charging protocols were a barrier to buying two different models.

That the majors have quietly standardized is another example of why Musk is way out of his depth in this industry. He's playing the Apple/proprietary market lock game of the tech world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 12:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I will say that's been a slow, quiet evolution. My last data was that varying connectors and charging protocols were a barrier to buying two different models.

That the majors have quietly standardized is another example of why Musk is way out of his depth in this industry. He's playing the Apple/proprietary market lock game of the tech world.
Tesla makes an adapter to be able to use the other plug. The only issue is that I don't know of one that allows other cars to use a Tesla charger. That is a problem now as Tesla has installed a good number of chargers but if GM steps up, it will be less so.

I don't agree with what Tesla did. I understand why they did it. They didn't want to pay for the huge infrastructure expenses only for others to use it but there were better ways IMO.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Tesla makes an adapter to be able to use the other plug.
Noted.

Quote:
I don't agree with what Tesla did. I understand why they did it. They didn't want to pay for the huge infrastructure expenses only for others to use it but there were better ways IMO.
It's called 'vision,' and as contradictory as it sounds, Musk lacks it. Oh, he has tech-world vision, but that's a special case of writing apps faster than anyone else in a market that can change horses ten times a year.

"Vision" as it comes to large, durable, expensive and infrequently-replaced consumer goods is something else altogether. "Vision" in this case would have been offering the Tesla connector tech free, making the essential components cheaply available, and putting a modest pay system on Superchargers for non-Tesla makes. That tide would have lifted Tesla's boat along with the vastly bigger market from other makers.

But that's not how you succeed in San Jose, where it's "one or none." Or "Deah cahn bee ohnly Won!"

Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
Should gas pump tips be standardized?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Should gas pump tips be standardized?
That wold be nice, as long as it isn't standardized on the California model.

I was there recently with a rental car. I tried to put gas in it but couldn't figure out how to get the pump to turn on. I then backed up to the pump behind me and that one wouldn't work either. That's when I finally figured out that you need to actively push the nozzle into the hole in order for it to work. There must be a switch in the plastic accordion thingy that's there to keep fumes from escaping.

I don't think you have to deal with that B.S. in the rest of the country.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
That wold be nice, as long as it isn't standardized on the California model.

I was there recently with a rental car. I tried to put gas in it but couldn't figure it out. I then backed up to the pump behind me and that one wouldn't work either. That's when I finally figured out that you need to actively push the nozzle into the hole in order for it to work. There must be a switch in the plastic accordion thingy that's there to keep fumes from escaping.

I don't think you have to deal with that B.S. in the rest of the country.
Californians aren't so stupid as to try and fill the car without locking the nozzle in the filler. And it's actually a complex hydraulic/pneumatic interlock, very old. Try firehosing gas around the next station in your regulation-free state and you'll see.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,241,818 times
Quote:
Outside of Tesla, they are.
I don't think so. Tesla does have their proprietary plug commonly seen at Supercharging stations and Destination chargers in the US, but there's also J-1722 (very common), CCS/SAE (common in Europe), and ChadeMO. I think China's EV have their own receptacle/plug designs too.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Quote:
Californians aren't so stupid as to try and fill the car without locking the nozzle in the filler. And it's actually a complex hydraulic/pneumatic interlock, very old. Try firehosing gas around the next station in your regulation-free state and you'll see.

I guess I never thought of people being dumb enough to "firehose" gasoline all over the place for no reason. Leave it to Californians, I guess.

How does it work for filling up portable gas cans? I'll bet that must be fun. Now that I mention that, do portable gas cans need to have the same complex hydraulic/pneumatic interlock deal that the pumps do? I'd hate to think of some errant fumes getting away while someone is trying to fill up their CA emissions equipped leaf blower.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I guess I never thought of people being dumb enough to "firehose" gasoline all over the place for no reason. Leave it to Californians, I guess.
No, you can fill a car with just the tip of the nozzle in the filler, and I see people doing that for no obvious reasons, but all cars/nozzles of the last 30 years are meant to go in fully and 'lock' into place. I guess that's too... sexual for some users who can't imagine penetration.

All the California standard does is add a vapor-recovery shroud that minimizes fume escape and making it this -><- much harder to push the nozzle in. But they try to be tolerant of those from other states with motor skill issues from breathing gas fumes.

Quote:
How does it work for filling up portable gas cans?
Just fine, using the hold-it-in-place method like everywhere. Filling small gas cans is a PITA no matter where you are.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,600,345 times
Quote:
The rest of us are smart enough not to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive