Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,330,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I like the restored vehicles that are still (reasonably) stock. I watch these Jay Leno's Garage videos and the cars he often shows have a completely different (and not only different maker, but completely different design and materials) - front and rear suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, seats, steering wheel and gauges, wheels and tires, the body sheet metal is heavily modified... I don't understand who wants those cars, they're not nostalgic, they probably cost well over $100K to produce, and they're probably not as reliable, sophisticated and performant as new model factory performance cars that cost less and will be easier to resell.

Because there's something enjoyable about taking an old car and making it fast, handle good, and look the way YOU want, vs a mass produced compromise. I prefer handbuilt cars to mass produced, mass market products and have built many, both for myself and for customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,452,259 times
Wouldn't you rather have this instead? Way better built, faster, more reliable and better looking...

Old 06-03-2019, 09:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 878,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Yes please!! I don't want to be the guy that has to change the spark plugs in that 390 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Wouldn't you rather have this instead? Way better built, faster, more reliable and better looking...
Better looking is somewhat subjective, but in this case both cars are beautiful so I will take one of each.
Oh and that 66 Fairlane that's on that same site.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 920,072 times
Personally, I feel most new cars (Mustang included) look chunky. The door to glass ratio is much different. Probably for stiffness and safety reasons, but aesthetically I like the proportions of 60's cars (some of them anyway) better. Not a fan of having my eyes just over the bottom edge of the window when inside, either.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,965 times
I love how so many vintage auto ads always seem to play up anything that is not stock as an "improvement".

Old 06-06-2019, 02:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I like the restored vehicles that are still (reasonably) stock. I watch these Jay Leno's Garage videos and the cars he often shows have a completely different (and not only different maker, but completely different design and materials) - front and rear suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, seats, steering wheel and gauges, wheels and tires, the body sheet metal is heavily modified... I don't understand who wants those cars, they're not nostalgic, they probably cost well over $100K to produce, and they're probably not as reliable, sophisticated and performant as new model factory performance cars that cost less and will be easier to resell.

Well, most collectors want cars that are as close to stock and new as they can get. But, given that Leno is famous, and that he and his crew know what they are doing, his modded cars would sell for good money. Consider a used book. Generally, highlighting and underlining degrade value. But if it's a book on physics and the one doing the underlining was Steven Hawking, it's a completely different deal.

But, you are not a car guy, so I doubt I can explain this in a way you will grasp.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
I was always more impressed by someone taking the time and effort to restore a car than someone just buying a one new.

Last edited by johngolf; 06-06-2019 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,264,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I had one of those in Germany (here with my mom)
My mom also had a Mustang II Ghia.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,216,655 times
Who wants to open a thread to see what it is about? And then just get a link.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 PM

8,350 posts, read 6,443,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Who wants to open a thread to see what it is about? And then just get a link.
Yeah I never click links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive