Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
You may need to get out of SE Michigan once in a while. A majority of Americans do not want big pickups and SUVs. But, enough of them do want them to make a market. And thank god, for without that market Ford, GM, and FCA would have no product to sell.
Wow i guess all the full-size pickups and SUVs that a majority of people are driving now is a fad, they bought them because they like big pickups and SUVs. How is it that the F series pickups are the best selling vehicle in the USA for 41 years in a row. Look at the parking lots and tell me what you see full-size pickups and lots of full-size SUVs. The American automakers know what Americans are buying and they are happy to build them. You keep hoping for a mini pickup maybe one day they will be here in a very limited quantity though. No money in them to justify a huge investment in them. And as far as getting out of SE Michigan I’ve lived in Florida and Chicago were there were plenty of full-size pickups and SUVs. Funny i didn’t see any mini pickups or small for that matter.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The Civic is a lot bigger these days as well: 19" longer and 880 pounds heavier (1986-2016)
And on that subject you can get a Fiy or Yaris...

Old 06-04-2019, 04:33 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,162,398 times
Another thing...wait until gas prices rise again. Not that I want it to but the reason small cars were so popular in certain years was the price of gasoline. And remember, gas/diesel is not a sustainable, renewable resource, other than the 10% ethanol often added to it.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM

19,078 posts, read 14,021,445 times
We shouldn't be eating so much corn anyway. They should develop an engine that runs on 100% ethanol!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,317,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody is saying they shouldn't. The argument is that manufacturers have abandoned those who want a small truck. It's going to bite them in the end.

Auto manufacturers once understood the long term benefit of brand loyalty. Now their only consideration is how to make the most money before the next earnings statement.

By excluding those just into the market and those who long bought from you, it's not going to end well.
Some products sell well only on internet forums. When they are actually built, they flop. I am not at all sure small, as in the Ranger 30 years ago, will sell. I don't like trucks getting bigger and bigger but I won't go smaller than the last Dakota. Same with Diesel. The mantra once was only if they put in a Cummins Diesel it would sell like hotcakes. They did but nobody bought showed up.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Some products sell well only on internet forums. When they are actually built, they flop. I am not at all sure small, as in the Ranger 30 years ago, will sell. I don't like trucks getting bigger and bigger but I won't go smaller than the last Dakota. Same with Diesel. The mantra once was only if they put in a Cummins Diesel it would sell like hotcakes. They did but nobody bought showed up.
Nobody (or very few) could afford is the reality there.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,640,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Wow i guess all the full-size pickups and SUVs that a majority of people are driving now is a fad, they bought them because they like big pickups and SUVs. How is it that the F series pickups are the best selling vehicle in the USA for 41 years in a row. Look at the parking lots and tell me what you see full-size pickups and lots of full-size SUVs. The American automakers know what Americans are buying and they are happy to build them. You keep hoping for a mini pickup maybe one day they will be here in a very limited quantity though. No money in them to justify a huge investment in them. And as far as getting out of SE Michigan I’ve lived in Florida and Chicago were there were plenty of full-size pickups and SUVs. Funny i didn’t see any mini pickups or small for that matter.
You don't see many small cars towing campers or boats.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 PM

Add VW to the list of manufacturers hinting that true small pickups are coming soon:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...et/3756560002/

This is another one that shoots right to the top of the list to replace my Baja if its available in a few years. The Santa Cruz seems most likely though as it is all but confirmed to arrive in 2021.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Add VW to the list of manufacturers hinting that true small pickups are coming soon:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...et/3756560002/

This is another one that shoots right to the top of the list to replace my Baja if its available in a few years. The Santa Cruz seems most likely though as it is all but confirmed to arrive in 2021.
I'd have to see it in person. Crazy how much people are paying for decent Baja's.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'd have to see it in person. Crazy how much people are paying for decent Baja's.
I paid $4800 for mine almost 2 years ago with 148k and needing a little work. Thankfully I can either do most myself or my stepfather owns a shop. I plan to keep it on the road another two years while I wait for one of these to come out.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 06-04-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive