Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:30 PM

19,103 posts, read 14,085,222 times

Advertisements

The Ranger never had 4 doors, that's where Ford messed up and why they had to stop making it. It was no longer relevant to the market and they screwed up by not fixing that. Only the Frontier has survived without becoming a full-sized truck and even without being updated in about 14 years, it still sells very well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,761 posts, read 81,674,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The Ranger never had 4 doors, that's where Ford messed up and why they had to stop making it. It was no longer relevant to the market and they screwed up by not fixing that. Only the Frontier has survived without becoming a full-sized truck and even without being updated in about 14 years, it still sells very well.
Actually they did, I had 4 doors on my 2007. They were like the current F150 Supercab, narrow suicide doors, and on the Ranger not useful for passengers with just those little sideways jumpseats. I had my Ranger for 10 years and only remember someone sitting back there maybe 3 times, on very short trips.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,363,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I can always get a full understanding of why the Detroit 3 is always in trouble after taking the time deciphering easy's posts!

People stop me quite often offering to buy my old 1993 Nissan Hardbody pickup. People want a truck to work with and haul stuff but don't want to have to put a lot of gas in the gas hogs ALL truck manufacturers are spewing out today.
Manufacturers have made some decent strides there. Rather than 8-13mpg you can get into the 20's. I'll give them that but still, I want small and into the 30's.

The only draw back with my City Express is 27 mpg. Not hateful as an average but still.......

Old 06-05-2019, 02:11 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,036,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually they did, I had 4 doors on my 2007. They were like the current F150 Supercab, narrow suicide doors, and on the Ranger not useful for passengers with just those little sideways jumpseats. I had my Ranger for 10 years and only remember someone sitting back there maybe 3 times, on very short trips.
We had an 03 for quite a while. We used the jump seats fairly often, but only for small people, mostly kids. I do not remember whether it had 3 doors or 4. If it had 4 we never used the one on the drivers side. I always worried that those jump seats were dangerous in an accident.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM

5,777 posts, read 11,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And non-USA (NA) VW pickups will have a TDI option...
I see a small number of the VW Amorok on the streets in Germany. They are 4 door with a short bed only, maybe 5' long. They have a couple of diesel options for now, but VW got hit hard over the diesel scandal. I am thinking they are looking at how to get rid of diesel in much of their fleet sooner rather than later.

In Europe, vans of all sizes are most common for work and recreation vehicles. Go to a construction site and it's all about vans, no pickups. I see more pickups in rural farm and forest areas, where the open bed is more useful than a van for many purposes.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:04 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,349,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have never thought of the Dakota as a small truck.
It was comparable in size to the Ford F150 of similar years, and F150's were not considered small.
I bought this one new in 2002, not even thinking of it's size.
I wanted it because it has a big v8, and I really like the style.
It is by no means small as some in this thread have stated.

I may be selling it , as I really don't use it much anymore.
It is driven a couple of miles everyday taking the dog to the park, but other than that it stays parked.
For it's year it has very low mileage( 60,000).

Bob.
Ahh, I had a red R/T. What a truck! I thought it was just the right size. Still remember the growl of the 5.9 through the Gibsons.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM

9,926 posts, read 7,296,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
VW sells a nice looking mid size light duty truck in Europe and Africa based on the Atlas. Not sure about the reliability long term, nor the capacities, but I have seen the basic trim models being used for hard work around construction sites.
That's the Amorak which is a BOF truck - it has nothing in common with the Atlas.

VW has shown a concept called the Tanoak which is a unibody pickup that shares the Atlas platform.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:23 PM

9,926 posts, read 7,296,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I can always get a full understanding of why the Detroit 3 is always in trouble after taking the time deciphering easy's posts!

People stop me quite often offering to buy my old 1993 Nissan Hardbody pickup. People want a truck to work with and haul stuff but don't want to have to put a lot of gas in the gas hogs ALL truck manufacturers are spewing out today.
Per the EPA, your 93 Nissan (4 cylinder Manual) gets 21/25. The 2019 Ford F150 4WD with the 2.7 Ecoboost gets 19/24. It hardly a gas hog.....

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...10221&id=41028

Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,467,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had an 03 for quite a while. We used the jump seats fairly often, but only for small people, mostly kids. I do not remember whether it had 3 doors or 4. If it had 4 we never used the one on the drivers side. I always worried that those jump seats were dangerous in an accident.
It had 3 doors my x wife had a 1998 super cab step-side only the passenger door had the small door, like my old 2004 F150 FX4 had the same thing only i had a skinny full size back seat.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:32 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,883,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I really wish someone would emphasize bed length over 4 doors. I have no use for a backseat in a truck. I do need a 6' or longer bed. Seeing F body trucks with under 6' beds is ridiculous.
Funny, but the choices are there. They still make plenty of standard cab 6 1/2 ft and 8ft bed pickups which are no bigger then the trucks of the 70's through 90's. Just like they made crew cabs and super cabs back then which were the same dimensions of modern crew cab/super cab trucks.

The full crew cab, super short bed trucks of today are nothing more then an option in which one can have full seating plus a pickup bed without adding length to a standard cab/long bed unlike years ago in which you got the full bed with the full 4 doors. Hey, those are still an option as well.

BTW, people claim Americans didn't want full sized cars? Well guess what? Along comes the full crew cab with an open trunk....kinda replaces the old body on frame sedans I think!

And now, those tiny mini trucks of yesterday are replaced by the old Dakota sized mid sized trucks, down in size from the 1/2 tons but a bit larger (so more comfortable and useful) then the minis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive