Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 04:42 AM

32 posts, read 24,071 times

Advertisements

I have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 50K on it. Have had zero problems with it from day 1. Plenty of storage. I just slap my bike rack into the hitch mount and go wherever I want. Only downside is that it has a tiny gas tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 05:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,310,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
It doesn't do anything for me honestly. It gets horrible mpg and isn't that fast of a vehicle. Literally the only benefit is being able to say "its got a hemi", which is pretty weak as most v8s are technically semi hemis anyways.
I drove and an Explorer Sport with the TTV6 back to back with the GC Summit. I think they were 2017's or 2018's.
Although they delivered similar speed (0-60's are around 6.5 seconds) the GC "felt" stronger off the line.

They're both a hell of a lot faster than a Subaru!

Last edited by eaton53; 06-09-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 06:13 AM

12,750 posts, read 9,961,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
The new Forester is on new platform, unlike the last generation. I've read the Forester is underpowered, though .
I have a 2019 Forester Touring. Love this car. For its modest overall envelope, very roomy inside and plenty of cargo space too, excellent visibility, sound engineering. They increased chassis rigidity and roll stiffness both quite significantly. Body roll is minimal when cornering. Still, I wouldn't describe the handling as very responsive, but if that's a priority, you're far better off with a small-to-mid-sized sedan or a coupe with a lightweight motor. SUVs are just not going to be razor-sharp handling, tossable cars, even when they're built on an advanced unibody platform.

When it comes to engine power, it's perfectly adequate in practical terms for normal driving, and the car still gets very good MPGs for a roomy vehicle with AWD. But the acceleration is only adequate, not impressive, especially in the context of some of today's performance oriented motors. The Crosstrek that you mentioned is slower.

I still think a 2019 Forester would be worth a good walkthrough and a test drive if you're looking at SUVs in this size class, as it's one of the top choices in the field. Another car you might look at this fall is the 2020 Outback due out late this year, which will offer an XT variant with a turbocharger and should have more spirited acceleration, on the same new Global Platform.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 AM

3,112 posts, read 4,018,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I drove and an Explorer Sport with the TTV6 back to back with the GC Summit. I think they were 2017's or 2018's.
Although they delivered similar speed (0-60's are around 6.5 seconds) the GC "felt" stronger off the line.

They're both a hell of a lot faster than a Subaru!

I went with a Mazda CX5, supposedly 0-60 in 6.2. Max torque (310#) by 2000rpm. My GC with HEMI "felt" stronger off the line, too, but feelings came up real short when it only managed 19mpg or so on road trips while my CX5 averages almost 10mpg more than that in my DAILY commute. All that fuel adds up over time, and a 30% increase in economy is notable.

All the tests I've seen from the Explorer Sport and Platinum have it 5.8-6.2 seconds to 60, but it bests the Jeep and CX5 in the quarter regarding mph trap speeds, for what that's worth.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 AM

5,849 posts, read 3,281,613 times
The typical SUV is designed for highway and local road driving in bad weather conditions. My RAV4 allowed me to drive with care in up to 8 inches of snow. As far as quality is concerned I would go with Subaru, Toyota and Honda. The next thing that I would look at is ground clearance.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,158,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The typical distinction is 3rd row seating, which is plainly visible. The Jeep grand Cherokee is a midsize SUV and hangs out in no man's land without 3rd row
This. The odd thing is it wouldn't take much to put a foldable third row in a Grand Cherokee. We owned one for 15 years, but really I don't see the appeal.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The typical SUV is designed for highway and local road driving in bad weather conditions. My RAV4 allowed me to drive with care in up to 8 inches of snow. As far as quality is concerned I would go with Subaru, Toyota and Honda. The next thing that I would look at is ground clearance.
Mazda is doing better than Honda, ESPECIALLY when we are discussing CRV vs. CX5. Honda still hasn't fixed their 1.5T in the CRV.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
This. The odd thing is it wouldn't take much to put a foldable third row in a Grand Cherokee. We owned one for 15 years, but really I don't see the appeal.
They tried it with the Jeep Commander, and it was a total flop, so now the Durango slots in as FCA's 3rd row SUV.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,648,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Let me tell you what defines an SUV for the general populace. It sits high, it's got 4wd/awd and it "looks like" an SUV. Whatever distinctions there are between the UX, NX, and RX are lost to most people.
What really defines a SUV/CUV is construction. An SUV is body on frame and generally has a transfer case for high and low range and is 4WD, although you can find them in RWD form. A CUV is unibody, has no transfer case and is either FWD or AWD.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM

3,215 posts, read 3,619,224 times
I agree with the GLC recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive