Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times

Advertisements

Certainly the Porsche has the "look at me" branding and panache. Drives really nice too. My roommate had one and I got to drive it a while. I'd still take the Miata. The Porsche I hear is fairly reliable but it is going to be expensive to repair. Do your research, as there are things to look out for. All my miatas were relatively easy to work on, cheap on parts, and reliable. Fairly care free ownership.

I've owned 3 (NA and NC) Miata, 1st gen Audi TT, YJ Jeep and my daily commuter right now is a Solstice (bought cheap). I like my convertibles. I've never been the type to get all hung up on branding. For a good price, I wouldn't mind owning a Boxster but given the choices in the OP, I'd go with the Miata.

By the time the Solstice is ready to be retired, I'm seriously going to get a ND or ND2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Miata no question. You can tune it and do some other things to add performance economically.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
To all those who fancy convertibles: you won't know until you live with it a while. I bought a Wrangler just for this reason. It was either too hot, too cold, too windy or rained when parked outside. You'd hear noises you didn't know they existed. Try the traffic light when a Diesel truck pulls up with its exhaust right up your face. It most certainly not a daily driver.
Hmmm, I have a Wrangler and live in Chester County not far from you and have experienced none of that. I take the doors off, top down, and put the Bikini top on in the summer. Lots of fun.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Honestly, I'd go for a Volkswagen Eos or a 2006 or newer Volvo C70, with the Volvo being my top pick. Yeah, they're a bit left-field, but they're affordable, safe, and good quality. As a new driver you're going to want something safe, the Miata and the Porsche are a bit small and insubstantial.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Miata made a big splash the first time out. Honestly, it is not a player now. I only see here people gushing over it. Can't remember when I saw one last. The fact that it's really a Fiat does not help one bit.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Miata made a big splash the first time out. Honestly, it is not a player now. I only see here people gushing over it. Can't remember when I saw one last. The fact that it's really a Fiat does not help one bit.
It's not a Fiat. The new Fiat 124 is a Miata with a Fiat engine. The Miata has a Mazda engine which is now rated a 181 HP, Normally Aspirated, and can be tuned for a lot more without much fuss. It is no longer "slow".

Last edited by Pilot1; 06-14-2019 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Honestly, I'd go for a Volkswagen Eos or a 2006 or newer Volvo C70, with the Volvo being my top pick. Yeah, they're a bit left-field, but they're affordable, safe, and good quality. As a new driver you're going to want something safe, the Miata and the Porsche are a bit small and insubstantial.
I have a 2011 Volvo C70. It is a "hard top" convertible, and a nice car. However, it is no sports car. If you want crisp handling, get something else. The turbo, five cylinder engine (T5) is a good engine though. Reliability can be spotty, (apart from the engine) although I've had good luck with mine.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 AM

272 posts, read 270,546 times
As a former tech who has owned multiple Boxsters and two older Miatas, I would go with the Boxster. The Miata is more reliable and holds it's value pretty well, but man oh man are they SLOW. The Boxster isn't exactly a speed racer or anything, but it at least has enough power to get out of it's own way. The Boxster is fairly reliable, but they're kinda like the BMW E46/E90/E91 where learning how to change your own water pump will save you a lot of money down the line since they go out so often.

Actually, ya know what? Maybe the Miata would be the better option. Two of my Boxsters had leaking rear main seals at fairly low mileage ($20 part, requires transmission removal) and every Boxster I've ever owned has had at least one water pump replacement before 80k miles. I never really considered these issues a big deal because I do my own maintenance, but if you're paying someone else to do it, the cost may be an issue.

So I suppose....

If you're mechanically inclined, don't care about maintenance costs, or don't plan on racking up a ton of miles; go with the Boxster.

If you want to just add gas and go, but don't mind having a car that barely outpaces a school bus; go for the Miata.

The Honda S2000 is also a viable option. The biggest problem with the S2k is that Honda put some very nice seats in them and thieves steal the seats frequently by cutting through the soft top.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's not a Fiat. The new Fiat 124 is a Miata with a Fiat engine. The Miata has a Mazda engine which is now rated a 181 HP, Normally Aspirated, and can be tuned for a lot more without much fuss. It is no longer "slow".

Yep the ND2 Miata is a whole new animal over the ND and before. It's still light and nimble but revs up to 7.5k RPMs. With the BBR kit I posted to be sold through Flyin Miata you can get a NA option that increases hp from 181 -> 225 and revs up to 8k rpm with tq flatter and more acceissible earlier in the rev range.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hmmm, I have a Wrangler and live in Chester County not far from you and have experienced none of that. I take the doors off, top down, and put the Bikini top on in the summer. Lots of fun.
Yup... Neither I. That's the unique thing with the Wrangler. No other vehicle gives you the same open air experience. Doors off, top down,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive