Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:19 AM

17,631 posts, read 17,717,231 times

Advertisements

On a recent episode of Fifth Gear they tested a Nissan Leaf. As I understand from the video when they put the car in a certain setting then when they took their foot off the accelerator then it used the rotation of the wheels as a generator and to slow the car down to a full and complete stop without having touched the brake pedal. If my understanding from the video is correct then shouldn’t the car activate the brake lights when the accelerator is released when in this mode?

https://youtu.be/MAFZtOp7-jc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,300,312 times
Regenerative braking.

And yes, the lights do come on. I've seen comments about how you can look like you are riding the brakes as a result.
You can control this a bit by not taking your foot entirely off the accelerator. You can also configure the sensitivity of the regen braking (or turn it off). At least on some models.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
In your ICE car, take your foot off the accelerator and the car is going to slow down and eventually stop. With today's technology, yes a car can monitor the rate of deceleration and apply the brake lights even with your foot off the brake.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In your ICE car, take your foot off the accelerator and the car is going to slow down and eventually stop. With today's technology, yes a car can monitor the rate of deceleration and apply the brake lights even with your foot off the brake.
On a flat level paved surface I’ve NEVER had a car come to a stop without pressing on the brakes! When at a stop if I take my foot off the brakes my car begins to move. When it take my foot off the accelerator it takes far longer to slow ten miles per hour than it seemed this car came to a full and complete stop.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
On a flat level paved surface I’ve NEVER had a car come to a stop without pressing on the brakes! When at a stop if I take my foot off the brakes my car begins to move. When it take my foot off the accelerator it takes far longer to slow ten miles per hour than it seemed this car came to a full and complete stop.
It will take longer. As I noted though, a car can now measure rate of deceleration and apply the brake light on it's own. A small addition to the computer to capture wasted energy. That's a win.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It will take longer. As I noted though, a car can now measure rate of deceleration and apply the brake light on it's own. A small addition to the computer to capture wasted energy. That's a win.
Total and complete BS! Perhaps CERTAIN models do this but most ICE cars DO NOT come to a full complete stop without applying the brakes. Even at idle the car will run about 5 mph or faster depending on the model, engine, and idling speed.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Total and complete BS! Perhaps CERTAIN models do this but most ICE cars DO NOT come to a full complete stop without applying the brakes. Even at idle the car will run about 5 mph or faster depending on the model, engine, and idling speed.
If that is where you want to go, have at it. Your question has been addressed.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM

128 posts, read 66,321 times
Based on the available data, NHTSA does not believe that Volts, or other electric vehicles, pose a greater risk of fire than gasoline-powered vehicles. In fact, all vehicles have some risk of fire in the event of a serious crash

Old 06-15-2019, 08:34 AM

1,002 posts, read 920,072 times
Quote:
My manual transmission car eventually comes to a stop if I take it out of gear and coast. In gear, it will slow down much more rapidly until it reaches engine idle speed.

I assume you have a torque converter automatic and you're saying that it doesn't come to a stop in gear because it's in gear and the engine is always spinning.

EDIT: And yes, many hybrids and most EVs turn on the brake lights *if* you have regenerative braking activated *and* it's slowing you down at a certain rate. It's a shame most ICE cars don't turn on the brake lights automatically when engine braking. Especially higher performance ones with large engines, they can slow down quite rapidly with no signaling to drivers behind them.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
So they lost 38 miles of range while driving only ten miles? And that’s with using regen braking. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive