Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
I've parked my late model cars in the far corner of near empty lots. Only to come back and see someone parked in the space next to me. Hard as you may try, you can't always protect yourself from the brain dead.
I try my best to take care of my stuff, but if something out of my control happens, I don't worry about it. Just go get it fixed. That's all you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 PM

531 posts, read 453,595 times
Remember the big plastic bumpers from the early 1990's? and the side moldings that really prevented your doors from being hit in the parking lot? Apparently they didn't look good enough for the stylists.
When the Chrysler 300 first came out it made me cringe to imagine it running into something, even at 5 mph. No visible bumper at all.
When I first started seeing Toyota RAV4's with the rear-mounted spare I thought the crease in the cover was a factory feature. No, that happens when the driver backs into something he can't see.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
When I bought my car new I resigned myself to the fact that it was going to receive dings in parking lots from jerks who throw their doors open. Sometimes the jerks are merely young children who don’t know any better. Other times it’s a wind throwing the door open hard. Happened to me and thankfully there was no one parked next to my car when the wind yanked the door wide open as I was pushing it open. Of course the wind incident is rare compared to the jerks. So my car has some scars but I don’t let it stress me. My face and body also has scars and damage. Still love my car even with the dings. Will get touch up paint, give it a good cleaning, and dab on the touch up paint. Perhaps I’ll take it to a shop to tap out the small dings.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:22 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
I've parked my late model cars in the far corner of near empty lots. Only to come back and see someone parked in the space next to me. Hard as you may try, you can't always protect yourself from the brain dead.
People keep saying this, but Ive been parking far since 2011 and Ive never had anyone park next to me in the weeds.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,376,253 times
When I was about ten, My Dad had a Packard that he kept like new. He would park way out away from all of the other cars at work so none of this would happen. Apparently the same guy would park right next to him from time to time, so close my Dad would have trouble getting in, regardless of where he parked. It wasn't every single time, Was about once a month. One day on a Saturday he and I were going somewhere in his "good" car and he told me he needed something from work, so we pulled in and went past security up to his office and met what few people were around. When we went back down to the car there was this 1950's truck parked so close that we had to get in through the passenger side. He was steamed. He moved his car enough to slide out and got something out of the trunk. He went under the guy's truck and was under there a few minutes then came up with something greasy and threw it over the fence and we were on our way. I didn't want to ask what had happened. When I was driving age, I had a hunch and asked him what he tossed over the fence. He said it was the shift linkage for the transmission, and he never saw the old truck at work again.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
If the pristine finish of your showpiece is that important to you, don't leave it out unattended in a careless world. It's not my responsibility to protect valuables left in harm's way.

The other end of the spectrum is my co-worker's busted coffee mug with sentimental value. If he didn't want it broken, he shouldn't have brought it to the busy office.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If the pristine finish of your showpiece is that important to you, don't leave it out unattended in a careless world. It's not my responsibility to protect valuables left in harm's way.

The other end of the spectrum is my co-worker's busted coffee mug with sentimental value. If he didn't want it broken, he shouldn't have brought it to the busy office.
So, you believe in no respect for personal property and no responsibility for one's own actions.
You must be the original "Allstate Mayhem" guy.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:35 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If you like your cars paint you dont park anywhere near anyone else. Otherwise you risk the idiots taking liberties.
This^^

My wife always teases me about parking "out with the cook."

Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
Come live in NYC for a little while...
you wont even bother fixing those scratches...
NYC? Better yet, no car. I lived there over forty years, never owned a car. The guys I knew who bought one cursed the day and finally got rid of them.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

Let me guess...you probably don’t feel responsible if you damaged someones property either. Accidentally or deliberately. What a careless inconsiderate outlook you have towards other people’s property. While it’s not your responsibility to protect other people’s valuables it’s your duty not to be so careless that you damage them. And when you do damage something you should be replacing it. Someone leaving their car parked isn’t leaving it in harms way. When some inconsiderate douche parks next to them and carelessly damages the vehicle by opening the door or scraping the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive