Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
I've moved on to Toyota/Lexus and it's been the best decision I ever made, car-wise.
I used to drive domestic brand cars, I made the same move years ago. Haven't looked back, just got another vehicle. I looked for 5 min at other makes and just circled back to Toyota, 3 cars over 400k miles nothing but routing maintenance. At least OP has a chevy can't be as bad as the Ford I owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
I'm going to be blunt here, a Cadillac is not really a car you need to worry about "certifying". If anything, I think you're buying one a few years too new. Wait for some depreciation to set in and you'll feel like you're getting a good deal. Don't be worried about not finding a low-mileage one. I can still find 1999-2001 Cadillac Catera's with 50-60k on the clock for $2000 all day long.

Certification used to mean something to me, but I once went to look at a used car, and the dealer told me that while it was not certified, it met the criteria, and they could "declare" it CPO for $1500. Sarcasm or not, that broke any remaining faith I had in the designation.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I am looking at a 2017 certified preowned XT5 with 47,000 miles. Warranty left would be about 48 months and 53,000 miles. The price would be $30,000 unless I can get it for less. Trade in on my traverse is about $15,000. My car is starting to give me problems. What do you guys think. I haven't bought a used car in probably 30 years.
The XT5 is a great, well designed and highly appointed vehicle, Tramp . . .

However, my only concern would be why anyone would sell / trade it after only two years. What level of maintenance and/or care did the vehicle receive during those 47k miles which definitely does not qualify as "low mileage?"

Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 PM

701 posts, read 694,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
The XT5 is a great, well designed and highly appointed vehicle, Tramp . . .

However, my only concern would be why anyone would sell / trade it after only two years. What level of maintenance and/or care did the vehicle receive during those 47k miles which definitely does not qualify as "low mileage?"
I started wondering about that tonight also. With that much warranty left, you would think if there was nothing wrong with the car, why would they get rid of it unless they trade a car in every 2 years. But also, maybe there is a problem with the car. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Generally speaking, Cadillacs have terrible reliability. They're remarkably consistent too with the poor reliability- that's been true for 40 years- ever since they came out with that monumentally stupid 4100 V8. Lots of things have changed since then, but somehow Cadillac is able to not improve

They're about on par with Dodge/Chrysler.
That's true statistically, but we have a 2013 ATS and it's been virtually trouble-free over the years. We really love the car and it drives like a dream.

Caddies have terrible resale value though. $30K seems awfully high.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Of course not *all* Cadillacs are garbage. Just most of them . And people have noticed, hence the low resale value.

I mean, it's a GM and carries all the problems that that entails. Then add on a pile of unnecessary electronics and often some unique (read 'weird, unreliable, expensive') Cadillac engineering in the drivetrain.

Some of them are as perfectly kinda ok as any GM. But millions of them are/were absolute garbage.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Boy, I sure could find better vehicles for $30k. Heck, there are any number of highly reliable vehicles you could buy brand new for that.

I have dealt with a small number of high dollar luxury cars after they got old and my advice is to run away. There's so much gadgetry, and the lack of significant production volume means design and manufacturing problems never have to get really sorted.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Basically a rebadged Traverse, with doodads.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
Quote:
I started wondering about that tonight also. With that much warranty left, you would think if there was nothing wrong with the car, why would they get rid of it unless they trade a car in every 2 years. But also, maybe there is a problem with the car. Thanks for your thoughts.
I trade my vehicles every three years. Nothing wrong with them, I just get bored and want something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Basically a rebadged Traverse, with doodads.
I wouldn't say that. While they ride on the same platform, the bodywork and interior are completely different on the XT5 and it is also a little smaller than the Traverse. It's closer in size to the new Blazer.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:19 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,934,208 times
Quote:
I am looking at a 2017 certified preowned XT5 with 47,000 miles. Warranty left would be about 48 months and 53,000 miles. The price would be $30,000 unless I can get it for less. Trade in on my traverse is about $15,000. My car is starting to give me problems. What do you guys think. I haven't bought a used car in probably 30 years.
What was the original sticker price on that car? If it is pretty loaded and the MSRP was over $50K then maybe it's not such a bad deal but those XT5's start around $40K new so I'd want a lot more of a discount for that many miles. (I know people don't pay MSRP, but knowing that number tells you how much content is/isn't on the vehicle.)

As far as used warranties go, Cadillac has one of, if not the best CPO warranty programs out there because they extend the full bumper to bumper warranty, not just give you an extended "limited" powertrain warranty like many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive