Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:04 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Autonomous trucking operation in full swing. This has been a testing ground which will spread rather quickly.

https://singularityhub.com/2018/05/1...ks-and-cranes/

Below is a link to the youtube video in which a reporter gives a preview of the operation and it's history. This is probably the most important report on what's to come in automation that has ever been produced.

https://youtu.be/bn2GPNJmR7A
What a misleading title! Since when moving around at a port is called "Autonomous trucking operation?" Let them on I-95 for a few hundred miles then we'll talk. Oh, one more thing. Unloading containers from ships is not "trucking"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Autonomous trucking operation in full swing. This has been a testing ground which will spread rather quickly.

Below is a link to the youtube video in which a reporter gives a preview of the operation and it's history. This is probably the most important report on what's to come in automation that has ever been produced.

Lol, that is not full swing nor even close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Europe has been running autonomous truck fleets for years by now.
No they have not.

Quote:
Actually, they are much safer than man powered ones. can't get drunk, high, text while driving, be ion bad mood, get heart attack etc, etc. It's a machine.
Agree, but they can break, have faults, etc, they are not perfect.

[quote=ukrkoz;55718666] Can't even break down on the road as ECM will know ahead of time something is going wrong and WILL pull to tech service.

Lol, that does not even make sense. All an ECM will be able to do is provide a warning or something like temperature in bearing, or upcoming scheduled maintenance, which is not new tech at all, factories have been doing this for years, decades actually.

Quote:
Again, no one is asking YOU, what to do and how to proceed. Decision was made, autonomous and electric WILL be implemented, non autonomous WILL be banned "for the best of our children" or "environment" and you WILL vote for it. You can "express yourself" in forums or on the street corner all you want to, the real power does not care.

And repercussions to this will be huge across many current automotive/driving/repair industry, as everything will become autonomous, repairs included. Sales, safety on the road, accordingly, insurance business, all health care related to accidents, policing, fueling, repairs. And I likely missed some.
Well, voters have the ultimate say, if people the majority simply do not want these trucks, then they will vote in politicians who will not ll them, it is that simple.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
[quote=boxus;55723526]Lol, that is not full swing nor even close to it.

No they have not.

Agree, but they can break, have faults, etc, they are not perfect.

Quote:
Can't even break down on the road as ECM will know ahead of time something is going wrong and WILL pull to tech service.

Lol, that does not even make sense. All an ECM will be able to do is provide a warning or something like temperature in bearing, or upcoming scheduled maintenance, which is not new tech at all, factories have been doing this for years, decades actually.

Well, voters have the ultimate say, if people the majority simply do not want these trucks, then they will vote in politicians who will not ll them, it is that simple.
I disagree with this, this transition has been known about for some time within the auto and truck manufacturers industry (so its likely Govt has been aware of this for awhile too).

Its very unlikely the issue will ever make it to the ballot, its something that the ENTIRE automobile industry is going to transition over to eventually, for that reason, I just dont see it ever being up to the voters.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know several truck drivers who say they are ready to get out of that line of work because of the increased traffic and inattentive drivers. I can’t say I blame them, I know I wouldn’t want to drive a semi through somewhere like Atlanta or L.A.
I have a couple good friends that drive freight trucks locally, (no over the road driving though), they have known self drive is coming for awhile to their industry and their jobs will be gone when that happens.

One guy that drives for holland trucking told me few months ago, Holland had a plan in place to deal with this when it happens, they are trying to avoid just firing life time drivers on the spot.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 AM

574 posts, read 383,039 times
When these guys say that they’ve under thought things, I’ll guess that it will be awhile for fully autonomous cars... Let alone autonomous trucks; especially in reasonable traffic/weather conditions

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/10/...-driving-cars/

Last edited by annoyingmagpie; 07-21-2019 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: Referring to article, added it into response

Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 AM

128 posts, read 66,222 times
Given this experience, we know, precisely, how to tailor vehicle communication, safety, and security solutions on a case-by-case basis.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
This thing will damage the Merican economy in no time!

Trucking industry provides lots of good paying jobs.

No you cant blame illegal immigrants....

Old 07-21-2019, 10:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
This thing will damage the Merican economy in no time!

Trucking industry provides lots of good paying jobs.

No you cant blame illegal immigrants....
Trains run on steel tracks with no other traffic and STILL have a conductor. I wouldn't be losing any sleep if I were a truck driver

Old 07-21-2019, 08:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default How about I-10 they have ran the length of it and that's old news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What a misleading title! Since when moving around at a port is called "Autonomous trucking operation?" Let them on I-95 for a few hundred miles then we'll talk. Oh, one more thing. Unloading containers from ships is not "trucking"

How about I-10 they have ran the length of it and that's old news. They have also crossed Europe many times.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/06/em...cross-the-u-s/

As for emergency's. I guess the computer is capable of pulling over just like any other driver and calling (Triple AAA) for a wrecker or a mechanical fix.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:36 AM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:

Very interesting, thanks :-) Two technology revolutions in progress - electric vehicles, which I think has left the incubation phase and moved to early adoption, and autonomous vehicles, which is still in the incubation phase. The complexity of these systems and their successful deployment is great, so nothing is happening overnight. But I think both pushes will ultimately succeed within the next 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive